Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
McShane was perfect. Pretty much everything was as I pictured from the book. Great premiere and I can't wait for more. :dance:

My one nitpick is that the very ending could've pulled back a little further to show who saved Shadow, and THEN cut. I'm guessing Czernobog? That would've been a killer final shot.

Rangpur posted:

(it's me, the one who really liked Kings)
You're not alone, I loving loved Kings. It might be my top canceled show I wish they'd allow to wrap up or get a new season, next to Carnivale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I thought I'd be happy seeing the adaptation but right after the episode was over with I went straight to my audible library and downloaded the audiobook. I've already got a backlog of audiobooks and podcasts, but I really want to re-read (listen) to it again.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
That was everything I'd hoped it would be. I was a big on mythology when the book came out, which was why I picked it up in the first place. The Bilquis scene stuck with me and it was the first thing I thought of when I heard they were making this show. I'm glad it made it in, in all of its glory.

I was surprised by how much I liked Mad Sweeney. I don't recall enjoying his character as much in the book. I'm really due for a reread.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat. Bilquis scene was beautiful, but man, that's a brutal way to end an online date.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
poo poo, I didn't realize the Kings creator was also the co creator on American Gods.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

right to bear karma posted:

I was surprised by how much I liked Mad Sweeney. I don't recall enjoying his character as much in the book. I'm really due for a reread.

He's unfortunately not in the book much and I really hope that's a change they made in this adaptation. Like, if just once an episode he could come out, pull some coins out of the air with panache and get in a fight, that would be fine with me. I don't think it could get old.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
It's been literally years since I read American Gods, so watching the show so far is kind of like 'oh yeah!! I remember that!' and trying to remember what comes next. I'm both shocked and happy they kept the Bilquis scene as is, and I'm excited that the female characters will have more of a role. Audrey was such a small part in the book, and I really loved what they did with her in this episode. She was SO good. I also super love Shadow's casting. I never had a clear picture of him (or any of the characters honestly) while reading, and Ricky Whittle just feels RIGHT now.

Part of me thought they'd skimp on the Coming to America/Somewhere in America bits, and I'm really really happy to see that they're in. Those were some of my favorite parts of the book. I see from the cast list that Salim and the Jinn are in for three (!!!) episodes, so I'm excited for that. It also seems like this season is really only going to be barely the first part, since I don't see Sam or Hinzelmann on the list. Starting a second season in that part of the book sounds good to me. (sorry, sorry, book discussion, I know)

Anyway, I hope they end up doing Anansi Boys/Monarch of the Glen eventually. Anansi Boys is probably my favorite Gaiman book, so I have hopes. Part of me wants to go ahead and reread everything, but I also kind of want to be in the dark(ish) for the rest of the season.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pan Dulce posted:

drat. Bilquis scene was beautiful, but man, that's a brutal way to end an online date.

They really make you feel it with him talking about "my kids made me do this", and he was all "hey we can just take it slow"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYFKcMa_Ek

course for a lot of people that's their fetish :v:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Le Saboteur posted:

poo poo, I didn't realize the Kings creator was also the co creator on American Gods.

oh my god! oh, my god!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I really hope they do a behind-the-scenes on how they made the opening credits

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

That Shadow Moon/Audrey scene was originally slated as something more.

I'm glad they cut it out. It gives you the feeling that Shadow Moon has some sort of code and is ultimately a good guy who misses a wife he honestly loved. Also, I tend to like Gaiman's writing and if the show creators respected his decisions and followed along in this part, I have the feeling they'll get more freedoms with other scenes that probably never happened in the book but serve to flesh out characters in a tv series. Fuller did well adapting Red Dragon into Hannibal, staying true to the feel of the characters as opposed to staying perfectly in line with the novel and it served the viewer well.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
poo poo, yeah, it's good they cut that out. That would have just come off as distracting and strange.

KilGrey posted:

He's unfortunately not in the book much and I really hope that's a change they made in this adaptation. Like, if just once an episode he could come out, pull some coins out of the air with panache and get in a fight, that would be fine with me. I don't think it could get old.

Definitely. I like Pablo Schreiber, so I'd be happy with this.

ETA: I almost missed it, but I was happy with what we got of Demore Barnes.

right to bear karma fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 1, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat here and say that whoever called that the maneater scene was unfilmable was right. That scene was absolutely ridiculous and not in a good way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pan Dulce posted:

That Shadow Moon/Audrey scene was originally slated as something more.

I'm glad they cut it out. It gives you the feeling that Shadow Moon has some sort of code and is ultimately a good guy who misses a wife he honestly loved. Also, I tend to like Gaiman's writing and if the show creators respected his decisions and followed along in this part, I have the feeling they'll get more freedoms with other scenes that probably never happened in the book but serve to flesh out characters in a tv series. Fuller did well adapting Red Dragon into Hannibal, staying true to the feel of the characters as opposed to staying perfectly in line with the novel and it served the viewer well.

Thank gently caress for Neil Gaiman, who knows how to tell a good drat story.

Sounds like the show runners are trying to turn this into Game of Thrones in a bad way :( At least they're willing to listen when Neil puts his foot down.

That's like "Jaime rapes Cersei on the corpse of their dead son" levels of unneccesary and awkward.

However I loved how Audrey pissed on her husband's corpse (off-camera). That's just the right amount of awkward and angry. (Actually showing it would have gone too far)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

I'm going to be the rear end in a top hat here and say that whoever called that the maneater scene was unfilmable was right. That scene was absolutely ridiculous and not in a good way.

It was pretty bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I thought they did a pretty good job of it, but it didn't help that they got recognizable comedy actor Joel Murray. And then the general shot of it is just... like... yeah.

But I think they pulled it off alright, kinda tense scene. And I liked how Bilquis' appearance shifted throughout.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I was going nuts trying to remember who Shadow Moon's inmate friend was, and just realized it's the orderly from Hannibal who was a serial killer fan

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Steve Yun posted:

I was going nuts trying to remember who Shadow Moon's inmate friend was, and just realized it's the orderly from Hannibal who was a serial killer fan

I'm half expecting Raśl Esparza to pop up on this show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I always pictured the Bilquis scene as her actual labia growing and stretching around him like a flytrap as it pulled him in, but I'd have to check my copy. I can see why they wouldn't be able to film it that way though. Then again, Ash vs Evil Dead is on Starz and had Ash's head get pulled into a corpse's rear end in a top hat by its intestines.

Le Saboteur posted:

He also wrote the screenplay of Logan. Dude's good.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Steve Yun posted:

He was also Boon in Justified and gently caress that guy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

IIRC the book wasn't overly graphic, just that he looked down after awhile and was waist deep inside her, and so on. I don't remember any flytrap :cheeky:

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
In the book, Shadow's ethnicity was undefined and he was described as olive-skinned. Making him a black man makes all the gallows and noose symbolism much more threatening and meaningful. The white supremacists in prison with their jump rope noose really added to the sense of doom and foreboding.

Technical Boy's goons actually lynching him was some hosed up poo poo. I am interested to see where this goes.

Also, the book was more sympathetic towards Bilquis by making her victim an unlikable shithead, but in the TV show, he's a hapless old man getting back into the dating scene. I felt this change made her seem much more of a predator.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Bonk posted:

McShane was perfect. Pretty much everything was as I pictured from the book. Great premiere and I can't wait for more. :dance:

My one nitpick is that the very ending could've pulled back a little further to show who saved Shadow, and THEN cut. I'm guessing Czernobog? That would've been a killer final shot.

You're not alone, I loving loved Kings. It might be my top canceled show I wish they'd allow to wrap up or get a new season, next to Carnivale.

I think it'll be Laura returned. Does she jack up some goons in the book at some point?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Oh dear! I expect this series will go to poo poo in about three episodes.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Brah you can't just casually toke on synthetic frog skins like its not big deal.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aardark posted:

IDK I trust Gaiman to keep a close eye on the screenplay throughout. Additionally I think that part of the issue is that the show is still trying to find its tone.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
At first I wasn't on board.

Then Ian McShane showed up.

The lady playing Audrey absolutely killed it, IIRC Audrey in the book she delivered the line about Laura and Robert then left, but Christ.

I am reeling from that graveyard scene,

"The Coroner had the nerve to ask me what I wanted him to do with it, I told him leave it where he found it." :stare:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 1, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I totally forgot that the first episode was today til someone mentioned it on twitter. I thought it was pretty drat good (although Ian McShane will always be Lovejoy to me, which makes all his appearences on american TV hilarious). Casting didnt always exactly match what I had in my head, but was nonetheless all really great.

I really liked the book but havent read it in a while (since just before Anansi Boys was released) so only remember the broad strokes and favourite scenes. I'm slightly torn; The episode ended and I immediately thought "well poo poo, now I have to dig through boxes of books to find my copy and reread it", but then again I'm also enjoying the feeling of "Oh, yeah! I'd forgotten that!" and not being 100% sure of whats about to happen.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Aardark posted:

I don't get this attitude, doesn't this story show that Fuller and co, kept Gaiman in the loop and consulted with him and respected his input in regards to the adaption?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Steve Yun posted:

That's me. Here was my first impression after seeing it at an advance screening:

Yeah, that sums up my feelings pretty well I think. There felt like a real lack of connective tissue between some scenes and everything felt slightly off, if otherwise well produced.

And count me in as another person getting an itch to just go re/read the book.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Brah you can't just casually toke on synthetic frog skins like its not big deal.

Both my gf and I, "oh you vape frog bro?"

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

He was also the russian gay cyborg in Fuller's High Moon pilot (I wish that had gotten picked up, although not if it would have prevented American Gods from happening)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Of course Technical Boy would be into vaping.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is it really synthetic when there seemed to be an actual frog in the drat thing?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a kitten posted:

Is it really synthetic when there seemed to be an actual frog in the drat thing?

what if the frog is synthetic?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, good point.

"You think that's frog you're smoking?"
--Morpheus (probably)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

a kitten posted:

They appeared to be meeting in virtual reality.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escape Addict posted:

Also, the book was more sympathetic towards Bilquis by making her victim an unlikable shithead, but in the TV show, he's a hapless old man getting back into the dating scene. I felt this change made her seem much more of a predator.

Wasn't Bilquis a prostitute in the book too? I really prefer the show's take on it either way.

Bryan Fuller is pretty open about being into social justice (in Hannibal he never did sexualized violence or rape, for example) so in addition to the expanded female roster I doubt Wednesday using his god powers to sleep with whoever he wants is going to be in the show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yak of Wrath posted:

I don't get this attitude, doesn't this story show that Fuller and co, kept Gaiman in the loop and consulted with him and respected his input in regards to the adaption?

It does, but it also shows that Fuller and co. legitimately thought it would have been a good idea for that scene to exist, which is just straight up baffling.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guy Mann posted:

Wasn't Bilquis a prostitute in the book too? I really prefer the show's take on it either way.

Bryan Fuller is pretty open about being into social justice (in Hannibal he never did sexualized violence or rape, for example) so in addition to the expanded female roster I doubt Wednesday using his god powers to sleep with whoever he wants is going to be in the show.

I dunno, they might take it out because McShane is just too affable a presence but in the book that was the moment that made me finally go "man, Wednesday actually kinda sucks." It's important for that reason at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

precision posted:

It does, but it also shows that Fuller and co. legitimately thought it would have been a good idea for that scene to exist, which is just straight up baffling.

Even smart people have real dumb ideas frequently. The important part is that they listened to someone else and realized their idea was dumb.