Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I've read the book once or twice, so there's no secrets - I enjoyed it. Title sequence was good but the robot dog or whatever should have had a Cerberus thing going instead.

It's fine, even with the Spartacus blood spatters.

Shadow Moon is still a dumb name and always has been. Liked Mad Sweeney. Looking forward to the rest of it, as it gets... darker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ButteryNoodles posted:

I've read that there are more "coming to America" scenes in the other episodes. I'm kind of curious to see if that same level of overblown bullshit is in all of them.

Good news, the "Coming to America"/"Somewhere in America" headers were a thing from the book where they would break up chapters of the story with tangentially-related vignettes. So it's not a one-off thing, it's a narrative device that is used across the book and is probably going to keep popping up in the show as well. Especially going off of the show credits online, the one about the closeted gay cabbie being seduced by a djinn (with 'spicy cum', thanks a lot Gaiman) is apparently going to span multiple episodes.

Also if the Bilquis scene winds up on YouTube or another streaming site then please link it so I can freak out some friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah this probably has my favorite title sequence since Halt and Catch Fire. It's so good.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Escape Addict posted:

Some subtext I thought was really great was when Technical Boy's children beat and lynch a black man because it symbolizes how loving racist the faceless assholes on the Internet have become.

Also, their outfits seemed heavily inspired by A Clockwork Orange. The children of the digital age are anonymous racist sociopaths. Checks out.

Hah , yeah, that is oddly appropriate.

:suicide:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm so glad this is on Amazon Prime Video.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

i.e. a streaming service I subscribe to that works in Canada.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
When I read the novel I always pictured Shadow as a really pale goth guy with long, black hair, who happened to be super muscular. Basically Glenn Danzig. Making him a black/mixed race character really fits the cypher/everyman/Americana theme though, and Ricky Whittle completely owns the character in the same way that Ian McShane completely owns Mr. Wednesday (when I read the book I always pictured him as blonde and having a big, bushy beard. I don’t remember how he was described, but I instantly figured out who he was because I’m a big mythology nerd, so that’s how I pictured him.) They were both amazing.

This is a surprisingly good adaption of what seems like a hard to adapt novel, and even if it goes off the rails I bet Ian McShane will carry the gently caress out of it.

I’m also amazed that they’re doing some of the ‘Coming to America’ vignettes. Those were my favorite part of the book, but it seemed like they wouldn’t fit into a coherent TV series.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm so glad this is on Amazon Prime Video.

It's free on prime everywhere but the U.S. Here we have to have a Stars subscription as well. It's annoying.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well, I thought that was alright. Liked most of the dialog, some of the visuals felt clunky. The whole last ten minutes put me off a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't realize how much I missed Hannibal-style crazy visuals until I watched this. Man I really dug the whole thing :)

"I'm trying to get my dignity back here! :byodame:"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was pretty certain that Shadow in the novel talks about his mom being black.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also Mr Wednesday makes a quick crack about keeping his eyes out for talent "well the one I have at least".

I hadn't read the book and that's what confirmed it for me. He's Mimir, right?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I found the first episode to be a bit underwhelming apart from Ian McShane, though that was mostly due to the massive hype the series and its visuals has been getting, I am sure it will pick up.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I think it'll be Laura returned. Does she jack up some goons in the book at some point?

Yeah, that rings a bell.

I'm pretty sure though that Shadow was saved by Mad Sweeney. One of the trailers shows him swinging a machete in the rain at night, cleaving what looks like one of Technical Boy's haemonculi in half. With panache, obviously.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Golli posted:

In the opening scene:

VO: "The wind could be bargained with"

Eventually Wind comes.

On the plane:

McShane's character: "It's my day. Wind's Day."

It's not Wind's Day. He says "it's my day." He's not talking about wind.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

A really solid if slightly meandering first ep. Fuller doesn't seem to be about a super tight plot and narrative, it's more about broader stuff and little moments, with the actors and scenes usually having some space to breathe. Shot composition is as rich as I expected, and that intro is loving awesome.

Too bad this thread made with a nice OP and a polite request to not be shitheels and run book spoilers on every loving page(subtext of the request), and mods don't seem to give a gently caress when a TELEVISION THREAD is run into the ground and few people who are watching the show without reading the books will bother posting in or reading anymore. Thanks for the try, OP, sucks that it had to get poo poo on.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Justin Credible posted:

A really solid if slightly meandering first ep. Fuller doesn't seem to be about a super tight plot and narrative, it's more about broader stuff and little moments, with the actors and scenes usually having some space to breathe. Shot composition is as rich as I expected, and that intro is loving awesome.

Too bad this thread made with a nice OP and a polite request to not be shitheels and run book spoilers on every loving page(subtext of the request), and mods don't seem to give a gently caress when a TELEVISION THREAD is run into the ground and few people who are watching the show without reading the books will bother posting in or reading anymore. Thanks for the try, OP, sucks that it had to get poo poo on.

I'm pretty surprised at how quickly things turned to poo poo. Usually it takes a few days, once people have exhausted talking about the episode and have started arguing about inane bullshit.

There was a very clear indication in the OP to not talk about book stuff, which half the posts have promptly ignored. And spoiling things under the guise of "it's so obvious!!" isn't any better.

I mean, it's not my job to police the thread, but I just wanted to talk about the show without dragging future events into it

404notfound fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 2, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So if someone were to make a second thread should it be the book reader thread or the tv only thread

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steve Yun posted:

So if someone were to make a second thread should it be the book reader thread or the tv only thread

OP of this thread doesn't want spoilers (only just now read the bottom of the OP whoops) so do like Game of Thrones and make a spoil thread and a non-spoil thread. So, basically the thread to make would be the book one.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Steve Yun posted:

Book reader thread. And then I can finally respectfully scream in delight at all the things.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BOOK READER THREAD HERE:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819132

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't realize how much I missed Hannibal-style crazy visuals until I watched this. Man I really dug the whole thing :)
Please also check out Legion for your crazy visuals needs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Aardark posted:

Please also check out Legion for your crazy visuals needs.

I just recently finished up watching that, it was also great. 2017 is gonna be a great year for television.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Guy Mann posted:

If Media is anything like she is in the books then you might get your wish.

Gillian Anderson doing the "Wanna see Lucy's tits?" scene, hubba hubba!

I'm really, really looking forward to her portrayal of the character tbh. She killed it in Hannibal and The Fall

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is the show actually good? I'm weary of anything Gaiman and the glee that people on my Facebook with horrible taste (e.g. Suicide Squad fans) had for this adaptation makes me hesitant to pick it up

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Don't know or care about this Gaiman guy, but I'm not yet aware of Bryan Fuller doing anything that wasn't at least decent, so I'd say give it a shot if you think it might appeal to you at all.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

precision posted:

I was pretty certain that Shadow in the novel talks about his mom being black.

He does, but not til near the very end of the book, which is sort of a cool trick. All you really know about how he looks before that is that he's big.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

That added intro bit did make it even more clear, and like I said the marketing seemed to almost spoil all the characters before we've even seen them. Like they were advertising that Peter Stormare is Czernobog which kinda spoils that Czernobog is gonna be a character in the show itself. Not that its any huge mystery, but it still seemed a little weird to me. But we're in the age of the internet where everybody can google things, and with character names being what they are its hard to keep any of that a secret.

A link to an article on a site nobody likes I'm sure, but it addresses the spoilers in its own advertising: http://io9.gizmodo.com/american-gods-is-spoiler-proof-television-1794754495

"American Gods is less interested in being mysterious and more interested in examining its characters and the themes of belief and identity."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ButteryNoodles posted:

I know right? It could've just been for comedic effect, but the accuracy and volume just stuck out to me. I guess it's more plausible that in a show/story about mythology and gods, a little exaggeration is to be expected.

I've read that there are more "coming to America" scenes in the other episodes. I'm kind of curious to see if that same level of overblown bullshit is in all of them.

The thing about the "coming to America" stories is that each of them is the story of how a particular deity incarnation got dragged to America and rooted into "The Land" and forced to figure out how to survive from there. Things referenced in each story played a fairly important role later in the book, but I'm not sure how big a role each story will play in the show as they come up.

Also, I wonder if the rather sad backstory for Hinzelman will come through in the series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crow Jane posted:

He does, but not til near the very end of the book, which is sort of a cool trick. All you really know about how he looks before that is that he's big.

The jail guard literally asks him if he's got "friend of the family blood" in him.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

precision posted:

Maybe it's a generational thing but I was taught the meanings behind the names of the days in middle school.

:( I wasn't, because I didn't go to an English speaking school, and in Spanish the meaning behind the weeks days come from Roman Gods if I'm not mistaken.
So, yes, back when I read the book I didn't catch Mr. Wednesday identity right away.
(Wednesday is miércoles in Spanish and it means "Mercury's day" :eng101:)

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

navyjack posted:

Someone's been reading the Dresden Files.

That's actually something I knew about before Jim Butcher incorporated it into his books, due to some pretty hilarious religious flyers from rural churches railing against celebrating Christmas because it was a holiday with pagan origins.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hadn't read the book and that's what confirmed it for me. He's Mimir, right?

No he's Polyphemus, the cyclops Jason blinds in the Odyssey

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nobody likes you :3:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I should have gotten that dammit!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

I'm really, really looking forward to her portrayal of the character tbh. She killed it in Hannibal and The Fall

She's only gotten better throughout her career, she honestly might be my favorite working actor now.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Don't assume people will figure things out quickly, especially goons: In Agents of Shield a few years back, a male and female character literally went to bed together and were next shown in states of undress yet goons were arguing that they didn't gently caress because it wasn't explicitly seen, just implied :psyduck:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
That's rough. On the other hand, if you watch known garbage show Agents of Shield and read a thread about it, you kind of deserve what you get. It's the same deal with The Walking Dead for me.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Professor Shark posted:

Is the show actually good? I'm weary of anything Gaiman and the glee that people on my Facebook with horrible taste (e.g. Suicide Squad fans) had for this adaptation makes me hesitant to pick it up

My picky-as-hell friend (I had to prod him into trying "Deadwood" and "The Wire" for crying out loud) who has never read anything by Gaiman is super into it after the first episode. He was texting me throughout the premiere and I asked him as a non-book reader how he liked it. He said "I've got no real clue on what's going on narrative wise, but what they've put on the screen is endlessly engaging." First episode might grab you by the nuts, or your hesitancy might sour the experience. I'd say go in with an open mind and if you don't like it, you're only out an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aardark posted:

That's rough. On the other hand, if you watch known garbage show Agents of Shield and read a thread about it, you kind of deserve what you get. It's the same deal with The Walking Dead for me.

Despite having a rough first half of the first season, AoS is actually extremely good (as soon as you get past the big reveal from the Winter Soldier movie)