Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I found the first episode to be a bit underwhelming apart from Ian McShane, though that was mostly due to the massive hype the series and its visuals has been getting, I am sure it will pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first half of the episode should probably have been cut down to 5-10 minutes, just felt too long to spend on a story that really wasn't that important or interesting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Dead Wife continues to be a complete waste of time. Putting the main story on hold just to they can do 1½ episodes on her just seems like a bad idea this early on, hopefully she will go away for a while now.
What is Mr. World supposed to be the god of?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Given that the season finale is next week, I am a little worried. 8 episodes should mean a focused show, not one where the episodes just consist of more and more filler.
I like the episode and if we had 20+ episodes to look forward to then there wouldn't be an issue, but it just wasn't necessary for the story in any way.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The music on this show feels like such a weird mishmash. Sometimes they just decide to loudly blast random jazz or 60's songs over a scene, ruining whatever mood the story is trying to tell, other times there are these beautiful pieces of orchestral music. There is probably some logic behind this but it feels strange.

Really liked this episode. I groaned a little when Kristin Chenoweth showed up, but she was actually pretty good in the part and not playing her usual character.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

And More posted:

Maybe don't hire the guy who does gay sex and over the top violence if you're scared of gay sex and over the top violence.

I associate Fuller mostly with Pushing Daisies, so that is not all he does.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have no desire to see anything based on Anne Rice's work, so i'm not exactly sad that he left the project. I just hope that Fuller realizes that he is making a reputation for himself as someone you can't trust to stay with a project.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As cheap as it looks, BBC's Neverwhere is easily better than American Gods. Though I was never a huge fan of American Gods the book, and some of the Neverwhere casting is amazing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The opening to episode 3 is probably the greatest thing in the first season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The scene with the gods was really cool, but I could have done without dead wife joining the main story, her and mad sweeney just aren't interesting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hope that they have a long term contract with Ian McShane because he really is the glue holding the entire show together, I cannot imagine it working without him.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Cojawfee posted:

I was wondering what happened to that "all the plants died" thing. They just moved past it without even saying anything. When I saw that guy on the golf course, I thought they were finally covering it, and it was going to be his perspective of when all the plants died. Instead they just completely ignored it.

There is a travelling montage in episode one that shows the plants dying, and later in the episode there was a short mention in a newsreport about a blight going on (can't remember the exact wording). But given the speed the plants have been shown dying at, I would think it would be affecting most of the US by now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I understood the tentacle thing as Argus being kind of a loner who just sat in his basement/building all day and watched people, but never interacted him them, like the worst nerd stereotypes. New Media was manipulating him by giving him attention and indulging in his animu fetish.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know that i'm in the minority, but I actually think I like this season more than the first one. I miss the god stories but other than that I think the slower pace actually suits the show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nothing really happened in the first season either, it just had a faster pace. At least we are getting some actual character development now.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I read the book many years and ago but honestly the only thing I can remember about it was that I really hated the ending.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Speaking of Neverwhere the BBC mini series is really good, and absolutely the best version of the story. It was cheaply made but had some great acting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was confused by the flashback. Mad Sweeney started off as a celtic king/god who fought armies from other gods, and he killed one of the other gods who turned out to be Wednesday. Then a christian army came and defeated him, and turned him into a leprechaun?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

rapeface posted:

He used to be the Irish god, Lugh Longarm, until the adoption of Christianity fractured his belief into many different folk versions like a king, fairy, hill spirit, leprechaun, etc which turned him into Mad Sweeney.

That makes sense, thanks!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Mameluke posted:

Stop letting Fuller go, shows

If Fuller wants 100% creative control on his shows then he needs to deliver on the ratings front, or scale back his ambitions. He can't blame the network for not giving him a bigger budget when his shows are doing poorly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So did Shadow somehow move the house or make all the cops disappear? I couldn't really figure out what was happening in those scenes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

night slime posted:

I only watched the first two episodes and they sucked. That's really funny they fired the show creator and lost Gillian Anderson for this crap. Geniuses

They fired Fuller because he wanted a Game of Thrones budget for a show that was getting mediocre ratings.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Legion season two was superior to the first one in my opinion.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
While this is certainly a big loss, Ian McShane is the star of the show, and as long as he sticks around I will keep watching.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A fair amount of the fuckups can also be attributed to Fuller, all asking for way, way more money per episode than any human being would think is reasonable.

If you are asking for a GoT level budget then you had better deliver GoT level viewers, but instead they got a show that nobody watched, expecting the network to actually increase the budget after that was crazy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you have Ian McShane and Orlando Jones on your show, and they want to help pick up the slack amid a bunch of confusion and frustration, then you should probably let them do it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Did anyone actually think that he was? It's good PR to let him be involved in the production, especially since he has some passionate fans. But it would be pretty astonishing for any creators to have a real say in a tv/movie production of their work.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Prison Break had a massive quality gap between the first season and the rest. Not that it was much of masterpiece but those later seasons.

I never found the non-prison stuff interesting, so for me Prison Break is a perfect example of a show you only need to watch the first season of.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Eat This Glob posted:

Is dead wife gone?

Unfortunately not, they decided to keep the worst character on the show around, but fire Orlando Jones.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was under the impression that Jones' character wasn't going to be in season 3, and that was why he wasn't asked back.
Considering how aimless season 2 was, perhaps it's best not to pad out the show with characters they have no stories for?

I was happy to see Dead Wife go, she was insufferable.

Andrew_1985 posted:

The worst part of this show is still Wednesday. That and the constant actor swaps.

Ian McShane is by far the best part of the show in my opinion.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pushing Daisies started to wear a little thin during season two, perhaps Fuller is just a one season guy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I find the show interesting enough to keep watching, but the pace has glacial this season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

sticklefifer posted:

Soooo the accusations against Marilyn Manson make this season quite a bit more yikes.

Not to diminish his actions, but he’s been in the show a few minutes this season, and from what I understand only had a single appearance more to go.

I get the impression that this was a storyline they were going to get back to in 4-5 seasons, or however long they are imagining this show being on air.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I couldn’t figure out what exactly happened with Bilquis. It was revealed that she was not actually a goddess of love but something else?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm still liking the show enough to watch, but we are over half way through the season and i'm struggling to think of anything significant that happened.

The Demeter plotline just got dropped. Something is going on with Technical Boy but we don't know what, and there is possibly a murderer on the loose in a small town.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So far this role seems like a waste of Iwan Rheon’s talent.
Toward the end I thought for sure that dead wife was going to throw the spear at mr. world, but that would have been too interesting I guess.
I hope they aren’t planning on killing Wednesday, I don’t think the show can go on without Ian McShane.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Dead Wife is easily my least favourite part of the show, and has been since the start.
It's not Browning's fault that her character has so little substance, but her acting isn't helping things either.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
In terms of story I don’t see many similarities. Control is pretty much a SCP action game with spooky vibes, while Counterpart is espionage with a little science fiction thrown in, although I dropped the show early in season two, so things might have changed.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Klungar posted:

Have you watched Fringe? Seems that might be a bit closer to Control.

Fringe is outright amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zzulu posted:

Fringe is decent almost exclusively because of John Noble in my opinion. Dude carried that show extremely hard

John Noble was the best actor on tv while Fringe was on, but I think that Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv stepped up quite well.