Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by how relentlessly psychedelic that first episode was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
When I read the novel I always pictured Shadow as a really pale goth guy with long, black hair, who happened to be super muscular. Basically Glenn Danzig. Making him a black/mixed race character really fits the cypher/everyman/Americana theme though, and Ricky Whittle completely owns the character in the same way that Ian McShane completely owns Mr. Wednesday (when I read the book I always pictured him as blonde and having a big, bushy beard. I don’t remember how he was described, but I instantly figured out who he was because I’m a big mythology nerd, so that’s how I pictured him.) They were both amazing.

This is a surprisingly good adaption of what seems like a hard to adapt novel, and even if it goes off the rails I bet Ian McShane will carry the gently caress out of it.

I’m also amazed that they’re doing some of the ‘Coming to America’ vignettes. Those were my favorite part of the book, but it seemed like they wouldn’t fit into a coherent TV series.