Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Disgusting Coward posted:

I wonder if they'll have Sam Black Crow's monologue because I really really want to die of cringing.

Eh. The full cast production audiobook did a pretty good job of rattling it off in a hurry.

Also, there is a theory that she was the reincarnation of Atsula from the matriarchal tribe that emigrates across the Bering Strait to America and is sacrificed at the foot of the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I have this book on my kindle but haven't read it yet, should I read before watching the show or nah?

I vote "Nah". Book nerds are already upset over an apparent departure from the book storyline with the sneak peeks for things like the "God of Guns" and other things.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

jng2058 posted:

There's a huge percentage of the population who don't know that. It certainly is a spoiler. :rolleyes:

What'll really get people going is if there is a Christmas episode and we get into the overlap between Santa Claus and Odin (what with the myths of the former borrowing a lot from the latter's Wild Hunt and the giving of gifts in exchange for food/drink left out for them while they hunt).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ButteryNoodles posted:

I know right? It could've just been for comedic effect, but the accuracy and volume just stuck out to me. I guess it's more plausible that in a show/story about mythology and gods, a little exaggeration is to be expected.

I've read that there are more "coming to America" scenes in the other episodes. I'm kind of curious to see if that same level of overblown bullshit is in all of them.

The thing about the "coming to America" stories is that each of them is the story of how a particular deity incarnation got dragged to America and rooted into "The Land" and forced to figure out how to survive from there. Things referenced in each story played a fairly important role later in the book, but I'm not sure how big a role each story will play in the show as they come up.

Also, I wonder if the rather sad backstory for Hinzelman will come through in the series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crow Jane posted:

He does, but not til near the very end of the book, which is sort of a cool trick. All you really know about how he looks before that is that he's big.

The jail guard literally asks him if he's got "friend of the family blood" in him.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

navyjack posted:

Someone's been reading the Dresden Files.

That's actually something I knew about before Jim Butcher incorporated it into his books, due to some pretty hilarious religious flyers from rural churches railing against celebrating Christmas because it was a holiday with pagan origins.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chernabog posted:

Ah, I guess that could work too. Does Odin even have control over thunder? It was just weird that the dandelion spores became thunderbolts.

One of the myths about Odin is that pretty much anything the other gods could do, he could do as well. He's the supreme Norse deity for a reason.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rocksicles posted:

Wait, i just figured out we are talking about an actual book, and not a comic.

Some goons are huge crybabies about people talking about source materials.

Was there a separate Neverwhere thread for each medium when the anniversary show was done?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Sandman would be so much harder to pull off than American Gods. It's much more scattered and well, dreamlike and doesn't always follow a continuing plot and the gods are all kind of their own little thing. Dream's connection to his siblings are more backstories and how they are in the current form than they are plot points. I'd say give it a go if they can figure it out but American Gods is a main plot with flavor scenes added. Sandman is a lot of flavor scenes with a main plot loosely tying them together. That's a pretty challenging thing to pull off without changing how it feels.

I loved Sandman btw

Depending on how long Legion lasts, Sandman might actually be doable.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crow Jane posted:

In case anyone was keeping track, we got another glimpse of penis this week. It was on a corpse in the morgue, but still counts and can be added to the tally whacker watch.

Fixed that for you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OWLS! posted:

Man, I keep forgetting that actual anti-Catholicism is actually a thing that exists. And uses this exact argument.

The arguments I hear around here are "Indulgences! Idolatry/Worship of Saints! Pedophiles!".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bert Roberge posted:

Lepercunt is now my favorite word.

Fixed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

If there are multiple Jesuses, I see no reason why Santa Claus can't be running around with Mr. Wednesday also out there (seeing as all the gifts in one night thing is a really watered-down version of the Wild Hunt where Odin would stop at various houses while the Hunt was about and leave presents wherever food and drinks were left out for his refreshment while on said hunt).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hannibal fans should start talking about the Hannibal books to really get the crybabies going.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also wasn't the whole point of that coin that it had to be given of the current owner's free will? Laura hadn't willingly given the coin up, so it would have just found it's way back to her anyway.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Mad Sweeney's hurt face when Laura tells him he isn't a god. :sigh:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
"Jesus Prime" in the credits :lol:.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Has Orlando Jones narrated any books? I would pay just about any reasonable amount of money to listen to him telling stories.

Bonus points if they were collections of Anansi stories/myths. :allears:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Firstborn posted:

Really? I can't take Orlando Jones seriously. The voice he does for this guy is complete caricature, and doesn't sound natural or smooth at all. He's always the "Make 7 Up Yours" guy to me.

Google and read some Anansi stories and come back to the voice/acting he does in this. It's pretty much perfect.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Paul Bunyan.

Paul fuckin' Bunyan.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cojawfee posted:

Yahweh is the semitic god of war, so they just just mention that Odin went as Yahweh for a while.

Then really get the poo poo stirred up by having Asherah show up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Has to be Patrick Warburton.

Its a reference to some book poo poo that would muddy the poo poo out of thread speculation about how belief works for the gods.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toplowtech posted:

Khali is in the book.

Also Ganesha. He tells Shadow that if he'd asked Ganesha for help at the beginning of his journey, things would have been a lot easier for him.

Ganesha also gives Shadow the clue he needs to solve the mystery in the most boring part of the book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kilson posted:

I want some Indian gods. Ganesha and Shiva would be pretty rad!

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure Ganesha is one of the gods shown in the opening title sequence in between the "drugs" god and the techno pyramid.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toplowtech posted:

No, it's not ganesha it's a fat smiling god so either one of seven Lucky Gods, Hotei or chinese god Budai(the "laughing buddha").

I'm not talking about that god, I'm talking about this one:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Nobody said that?

DoctorGonzo posted:

Black bisexual nympho what edgy thing we could add to her? Get the gently caress out with that crap

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Klungar posted:

Hermes as the god of the stock market, high speed financial transactions.

Nah, if anything Hermes would be the god of the Medical Industry. They use his staff as their logo, after all.

And there are a poo poo ton of people being sacrificed every day in hospitals around the country.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hakkesshu posted:

Warren Ellis wrote a conceptually rad but maybe not as cool in execution book called Supergod where world war 3 is fought using gods as WMDs and it's maybe not that relevant to anything in American Gods but man the Hindu deities own and I just want them to come in and own everything.

John Scalzi wrote a similar book where people enslaved gods and used them to drive space ships.

Literally The God Engines.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toplowtech posted:

The god of thieves and merchants you say? :smuggo:

Still applies to the American medical industry. :smaug:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

jng2058 posted:

Wednesday's gotta be Immigrant's Song. :colbert:

After they used it in the trailers for Thor: Ragnarok, I doubt anyone else is going to touch it for a while.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

vermin posted:

*except for the opening theme for American Gods

I'm talking about the actual song, not an "inspired by" or tribute/cover rendition.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

bondetamp posted:

I'm ok with this book talk.

What book was this?

The first Google result maybe?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jeoh posted:

How's Shadow going to feel about the only people giving Odin his power being neo-Nazis though? I mean, who else even still believes in Norse mythology?

Probably the same way he felt any other day of his life.

I mean, who even still worships Anansi in America? See what I mean?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Jeoh posted:

I dunno about America but Anansi tales are still told here by descendants of West African slaves, especially at funerals. :shobon:

The point I was making is that just because you hadn't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I know Anansi actually still has a pretty decent-sized following, he just doesn't get the publicity. Same deal with progressive norse Aesir worshippers.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

McSpanky posted:

What exactly is progressive about practicing an Iron Age religion whose modern resurrection happened in the 19th century?

Politically progressive, not religiously.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DoctorGonzo posted:

Bilquis is the worst character on this show

Bilquis is the second best character on the show after Anansi.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/994005768578924546
Glad to see one of my favorite characters from the book is going to show up this season

I'm glad to see that the casting call is actually putting effort into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Oasx posted:

As cheap as it looks, BBC's Neverwhere is easily better than American Gods. Though I was never a huge fan of American Gods the book, and some of the Neverwhere casting is amazing.

It helps that Neverwhere the show was created prior to Neverwhere the book.