Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ok. That was....insteresting. A few things were changed from the book, but it was a fine thing to watch.
Also,they didn't shy away from that scene, THE scene :stare: I mean, I never thought I would see a man being eaten by a goddess vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The gently caress am I even watching right now

:catdrugs:

(A Bryan Fuller show)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

precision posted:

Maybe it's a generational thing but I was taught the meanings behind the names of the days in middle school.

:( I wasn't, because I didn't go to an English speaking school, and in Spanish the meaning behind the weeks days come from Roman Gods if I'm not mistaken.
So, yes, back when I read the book I didn't catch Mr. Wednesday identity right away.
(Wednesday is miércoles in Spanish and it means "Mercury's day" :eng101:)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Alright, I'm still on the dick scene :stare: I had to take a moment and wonder about how awesome would Hannibal be withouth the censorship.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have never watched the 100 series,so I'm totally unfamliar with Whittle. All I can say is he is a good Shadow, I'm loving it, and drat....the guy is hot as gently caress. :swoon:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It was a representation of the sort of orgasm you would have with Bilquis,I guess?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Guys, guys, please, don't fight. There will be enough dicks for everyone.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Deadulus posted:

That's a big dick.

:gizz: They should put at least one dick every episode, we deserve it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh gently caress, why did I click that? (I had forgotten what breitbart was) now my youtube will have a bunch of stupid alt-right recommendations. :ughh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Go into your youtube history and delete those videos.

Nah, I'll just click on the "not interested on this poo poo, what the hell is wrong with you Google" option.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Yeah, the whole time he is covering his face, or slipping behind Shadow so no camera can see him. Which I found really funny :newlol:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I just want to know if we got our weekly penis. Did we?

(I'll watch it later, show is so good!)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

double nine posted:

now that you mention it, I don't think so?

:flaccid::smith:

This episode spoilers: Yay! Anubis and Thoth! I also loved the difference between Laura's death and the old muslim lady's death. The former had Anubis dressed in white and the desert looking all pretty and magical, Laura's he was all in black, and I think even the sands had a very dark color, gloomy and scary.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The intro story of the mammoth old god was beautiful. Does someone knows who was in charge of the whole animation?

Gillian is amazing on this. :swoon: Her David Bowie and Marylin was so perfect. I most also agree that Crispin Glover was amazing as well. drat. And I was laughing at Odin's raven knocking on the door. Finally, this shows has some really strong Hannibal vibes, it makes me sad because I keep wondering how weird that series could had been in a different network.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

vermin posted:

Tech: I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds I'll get it. I'll come back down here BOOM I'll blow their brains out.
World: Technology, you just don't get it do ya?

My new New God is Music who looks like if Amy Lee from Evanescence and Dan from Imagine Dragons had a baby, but the baby is sort of a punk rock chick

:lol:

Fandom would be a very creepy annoying god obsessed with whatever new thing it sees, to be honest. The sacrifices would be bad written homoerotic fanfics of shadow moon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A thread notorious for being bad at watching TV is mad that someone is bad at watching TV.

It's the circle of a TV thread life.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

One very humanizing thing about Nunnyunnini in this segment was that it knew it would die, but allowed itself to be lost and forgotten in order to ensure that its followers survived. The gods are not all leeching assholes.

Was the shaman/priestess Nunnyunnini's sacrifice to the other god? something like "I give you this very important person in exchange of you protecting and feeding my followers".

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I just started watching the new episode: Holy poo poo! Mexican Jesus! And eh, he isn't a dying god so he is probably gonna come back to life by the third day. I'm surprised they haven't mentioned the Lady of Guadalupe, she also has a very strong following (The Holy Death as well)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

OWLS! posted:

But don't you know that Catholics aren't Christians?

Indeed. I mean, we even drink real human blood during mass!! :unsmigghh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

OWLS! posted:

Man, I keep forgetting that actual anti-Catholicism is actually a thing that exists. And uses this exact argument.

:allears: I had evangelical and christian friends lend me their weirdo books,or tell me about the things they would hear in their churches, I remember very well the human blood thing, the thing about the virgin mary being a pagan goddess or something(The same virgin mary, in their same bibles), that we consider saints to be actual gods, something something satanic. And because not many think critically or decide to find out by themselves if it's real or not, they truly believe it.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 5, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Snak posted:

Maybe we'll fet Danny Trejo as Black Pedro...

I don't know if this show is gonna have a Christmas special, but it should...

Nah, if you want to go full mexican, he should be one of the Wise Men. The very very awkward one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

OWLS! posted:

My kingdom for a character with a russian accent that actually pronounces russian words correctly.

I'm late for the party, but I could tell none of the "mexicans" were neither native speakers or even mexican, and even if we tried to pretend they were central and south american the accents were so american (the guy who played Jesus is Colombian in RL, he did his best for a neutral accent). I tried not to cringe at the coyote girl and the lady throwing a prayer.
It's a rarity to see people talking a perfect spanish from my country in an american show or movie. :sigh:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

30 minutes in to this chapter. That was a very VERY sexy scene for Bilquis, and then everything turned sad. I'm not gonna lie that I got a bit teary when she watched the temple being torn down by ISIS (that whole incident made me angry back when it happened,I just dislike seeing ancient buildings, temples and even churches, and art in general being destroyed). Now Ostara that's how I imagined her, just a bit little more chubby, but I won't complain about that. About Jesus, I couldn't stop giggling at all of them, and how bad and guilty they were feeling when Wednesday said they had stolen Ostara's prayers.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The House on the Rock! gently caress hell yes!! :woop:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Nobby posted:

I thought that was the Iranian Revolution.

I was still half-sleep while having my coffee, but I had to check out She leaves in the late 70's, taken to America by the girl she met at the disco, the girl that later died. The scene I'm talking about is supposed to be happening in the 2013, yet the whole let's destroy ancient stuff started to happen in 2014-2015, so I guess the show is trying not to use to many real life events? my apologies in advance if my history/politics happenings knowledge is a bit off or wrong. :downs::coffee:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The iranian revolution happened in the 70s and then news footage of Yemen happened in 2013.
Yes, this, thanks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Brian Fuller posted this in twitter.

Spoilers for those who haven't seen this chapter:

Some of the Jesus!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, it just occurred to me that that was the Virgin Mary suckling Baby Jesus, because there are people who are so into the infallible 'innocence' of Christ that they worship the Baby Jesus only.

Actually yes, it's very common among hardcore Catholics (and must catholics), to worship baby Jesus and/or the Virgin Mary (or any of her many versions). I think both figures are very up in importance along with the Christian God himself and grown up Jesus.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Catholics don't worship Mary, we ask her to pray for us (intercession).

I know it's correct that we pray to saints to ask them to intercede for us with God, but in many ocassions it really, REALLY feels like and it's worshipping. My main example would be our lady of Guadalupe. People put up altars only for her in businesses and homes, her temple in Mexico City gets a hell lot of people and many pray directly to her (some without noticing thinking they are asking for a favor).

She even has a telenovela! in the American Gods' universe she would be a very powerful god(and probably favoring from the new gods), to be honest.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Saints were real people so I don't know how it would work in this universe. Though I suppose historians agree that Jesus was a real person (just not the son of God with divine powers).

Remember that the Virgin I'm talking about wasn't a real person. Juan Diego ,the native that encountered her, was. Yet she is considered a saint.
Death isn't a real person as well and it's considered a saint by many.

Edit: FYI, the word for Holy and Saint is the same in Spanish(santo,santa,san). So I'm probably the one getting a bit confused here :lol:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 20, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It may technically be true, but many catholics pray directly to saints to get them to do whatever they are a saint of. Lose your keys? Ask St. Anthony to find them. Need a job? Ask St. Joeseph to find you one.

There's a saint that you have to do small prayer if you want to find something that got lost,or need, and once you find that object or what you need (a job for example) you have to dance a bit for him. :v: That saint is cool. (the story is that he was a monk that loved to dance while praying, so you now have to gift him a dance as a thank you).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Prayer is an act of worship. I can't figure out what distinction is incorporated in "We don't worship Mary, we just pray to her for supernatural intercession and erect shrines to her and the actual catechism of the Catholic church states literally that devotion to her is intrinsic to Christian worship."

Snak posted:

When you ask other humans for help, it's not considered worship.

The ideal would be not to put a shrine for a saint, and just ask for said favor with a prayer. BUT you have to realize that behind many Catholic customs there are many pagan ones.
Lady of Guadalupe, my example, is said to be actually an aztec goddess (her shrine is built on the same place said goddess was worshipped). Some people say she was actually made out by the religious people in the country to make native mexicans stop worshipping their other gods (they also probably didn't like the white virgin mary for obvious reasons). So Catholicism is weird, complicated and poo poo changes depending of the branch/country/town. I don't have any studies in theology or anthropology so I'm just talking about the things I've seen and know. :)

Edit: I also replied too late. :newlol:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

precision posted:

I think it would be awesome if Crowley and Anton LaVey both show up and fight each other

Catholics at one point even said that Egyptian gods and Buddha were saints. They were just giving it away at that point.

When you want to gain as much followers as possible and people don't really like your religion, some times, you have to just make everything a saint!
Of course another way to gain followers is by mere brutal force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Caught this on TV twice,I give it 12 out of 4 stars. (I think the original didn't have the annoying narrator explaining everything).