Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I thought I'd be happy seeing the adaptation but right after the episode was over with I went straight to my audible library and downloaded the audiobook. I've already got a backlog of audiobooks and podcasts, but I really want to re-read (listen) to it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Since I'm now re-listening to audiobook following last nights episode it's interesting to see some of the very very small differences between the text given how closely it matches up. For example in the bar scene when Sweeney responds to the Leprechaun dig the book (at least the audiobook) only notes that they don't come from Moscow, whereas the show they added the Moscow, Idaho part on top of it.

Likewise when Wednesday and Shadow are in the car and Shadow asks what happened to his rental in the book Wednesday says Sweeney was returning it, as part of the deal from last night. Whereas the TV show Wednesday just says he ditched it. Which is a really weird change and I'm wondering if that will prove significant in the TV show (maybe trouble with cops down the road because of it?) because otherwise the change makes it seem like Shadow is casually okay with the idea that he may now be in legal trouble when he's done a lot to avoid it up to that point.

Edit:
It's also hard to think of Wednesday as Wednesday. I mean he spends most of the book under that name but I guess whenever I've discussed the book with others who've read it I just go with his actual name or mentally translate it even if I type/say Wednesday. Had to double-check this as I wrote it down to make sure I was actually using Wednesday.

nessin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 1, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I like the idea that Gaiman or the other show writers are going to show new stories about the gods than what we had in the books. As much as I'd be interested in seeing the visual representation of some of them I think I like the idea of different tanks on what they are or where they come from than we already had in the books.

That is assuming the Anansi story isn't just a one off.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 8, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I thought the latest episode was fine until the end. We're supposed to just buy off that a "god" that has lived for at least a couple hundred years with a memory (history?) stretching back far further and with a mythos of screwing over people (up to and including killing them) is going to be guilt tripped into giving up the item that he has to get back at all costs after it was just handed to him on a silver platter? I get the symbolism but that whole scene was just stupid and contradictory to the entire theme of the show.