Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's a spoiler, it's pretty obvious. "What's today, Wednesday? It's my day!"

Wednesday > Wodensday > Woden > Odin.

There's a huge percentage of the population who don't know that. It certainly is a spoiler. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I dunno, Sandman may actually be unfilmable. Or at least unfilmable well. The logistics for such a show would be a nightmare unless you took major liberties with the existing material...and if you took enough liberties to make it a coherent TV show, why bother paying the cash to make it Sandman in the first place? :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

What would be unfilmable about Sandman?

Well, let's see.

1) How do you cast it?

You've got one main character, Dream, through the whole series. Virtually everyone else is either a one shot guest character or pops in and out almost at random. And even Dream disappears or has what amounts to a guest role a bunch of the time.

2) How do you visualize everything without either a huge budget or making your show like 90% CGI?

American Gods, for all its fanciful elements, takes place much of the time from Shadow's point of view in the real world. Sandman spends huge swaths of time in the Realm of Dream, in people's dreams, in other Realms, and what time you do get in the real world is often in widely varied locations and eras in time. You're going to be hard pressed doing all that poo poo and making it look good on anything less than a truckload of cash, and you're going to have to have great ratings to make back that cash.

3) How do you keep an audience if you're constantly wandering off in weird directions that either don't connect to anything else or only do so years down the line?

Let's be honest with ourselves. Sandman goes wandering off the beaten path from the very beginning and never really comes back. It's challenging and difficult and requires you to work at it to really get the most out of it. That's what makes it great. But that very attribute makes it a hard sell for a general TV audience. Twin Peaks and Pushing Daisies only lasted two seasons, after all, and both of them were less quirky and more narratively coherent than Sandman is.

Now that isn't to say that you couldn't fix a lot of that. You could excise the Dream County stories, perhaps. You could introduce a human point of view character instead of following Dream around, maybe Rose or Barbie. You could have a fixed set for Dream's castle rather than an ever-changing one. But then you get back to one of my original points, which is that if you stray too far afield from what Sandman is, why should you bother paying to license it in the first place?

Honestly, I really believe that Sandman is a product of both its time and its medium, and I have a hard time imaging anyone successfully making the transition from comics to TV or movies and having it be very satisfying.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Sickening posted:

What the gently caress is sandman? Are you people not talking about the show?

Its the comic book series that put Neil Gaiman on the map. The fact that American Gods by Neil Gaiman seems to be doing well as a TV series led some of our more optimistic fellow goons to suggest that Sandman could also be successfully adapted.

I disagree. :colbert:

Fartbox posted:

I read Sandman and it wasn't really that great

Maybe I am just not the target audience

I like Weird stuff but Sandman was mostly just dull

Yeah, it ain't for everybody. Which is one reason I'm dubious about it succeeding as a TV show.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Wednesday describes Shadow's new job as potentially leading to him becoming "King of America" sometime in the first couple episodes. When Sweeny is first trying to get his coin back from Laura he says "It's a coin you give a king."

While this is true, we should also recall that Sweeny himself was apparently a king in the Old Country, and the coin was all the money Essie had when she gave it to him. So one could argue that it was given to a king, then given to Shadow who may be a king(?), and thence to Laura who may be a descendant or reincarnation or whatever of Essie, bringing the circle to a close.

Which means Sweeny really, really needs Laura to give it back to him willingly to start a new circle, methinks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Wednesday's gotta be Immigrant's Song. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Big Bug Hug posted:

WHAAAAAAAAAAT! That was my favorite book as a kid. That's awesome!

American Gods by Gaiman, Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, Good Omens by both of them together. The definitive examination of divinity in three volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Goddamn, Media's a spiteful bitch. :sigh: