Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

404notfound posted:

One more thing I liked: In the viking prologue, once the fighting starts, you can see the arm holding the sword breaking the letterboxed frame. Fun little touch.

This killed me and my friends. We just could not get over how funny that little detail was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Excited to watch it tonight with my friends. Three of us read the book ages ago, and one hasn't read it. It's been fun to try to remember everything from the books and try to explain it to the one who hasn't read it. He's enjoying the show but is totally lost.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It was definitely slow-paced, but I'm still enjoying it immensely. The casting and the visuals are superb in this show.

Also, I didn't realize the House on the Rock was a real place, and the episode was mostly shot on location. All those sets are just parts of the real House. :aaaaa:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm not enamored with Laura sticking around as a main character, either, but if she's an excuse to have more Mad Sweeney, I'm here for it.

My friends and I all agree about the writing in this episode, though--it is definitely different, and it remains to be seen if it'll be better or worse. It's certainly more hammy, especially Shadow's lines, but I kind of like them making him out to be sort of a goofball kid despite his enormous size. Any time someone shits on him or doesn't give him a straight answer, Ricky Whittle does this kind of childish pouting that doesn't match his size and makes me feel really bad for him and want to be his friend just so he has someone that will give him a straight answer. Still over the moon (heh) with his casting.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

BrianWilly posted:

Faeries are explicitly old world gods who evolved (devolved?) over time into minor spirits who were nonetheless placated with offerings and gifts. Djinn were worshipped in pre-Islamic Arabia and eventually got incorporated into the Quran itself.

I see the narrative concept behind the mythical thousand-eyed watchman being "updated" into a modern sci-fi militaristic surveillance monster, but it also stretches the central conceit of this story a bit. I feel like the AG "world" works best when it focuses on these old tired struggling gods as parables of the immigrant experience and not when it's going bit...urban fantasy?...with these myths.

This is sort of where I'm at. Argus doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the narrative's internal logic, since ifrits and djinni and leprechauns still exist in the consciousness of the public through the Quran, movies, cereal boxes, etc. Hell, some people still make faerie rings because they like what they represent, even if they don't totally understand the point of them from the perspective of their ancestors. The fact that there's so much confusion over who the mythological Argus was in just this thread alone sort of proves the point that it doesn't make much sense to include him. No one knows who he is without looking him up.

The overall concept of surveillance being a part of the new paradigm of worship makes total sense, though, and I think it's worth including in the show. It probably could have just been rolled into part of New Media's character to hammer the point home that while she's the new aspect of what she represents, she's hardly the new kid on the block.

All that said, I'm enjoying the show immensely and I love the over the top stuff they do with it.