Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Love McShane but I still think I would have preferred Brian Cox as Wednesday, though Peter Stormare as Czernobog is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

King Vidiot posted:

What media have you even seen related to him? I mean I'm not really aware of that many adaptations and I thought Gaiman was typically pretty stingy with his work.

I don't think it's that he's stingy it's that a lot of his better known stuff like Sandman were work for hire (I know sandman isn't the usual definition of work for hire but he doesn't own the characters or the story).

This is the fourth novel adapted for movies/TV and Good Omens is the only one of his novels that targets adults that hadn't been adapted yet and since it was co-written by Pratchett in sure the BBC will get to it eventually.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DentD posted:

I've read the book a couple times (and listened to the audiobook once) and love it. Ian McShane is perfect as Wednesday (despite him being very much not what I pictured when I first read the books).

Same, but I also read the book like 16 years ago so it was before I knew who Ian McShane was. I always pictured Wednesday as Brian Cox.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Golli posted:

Can we please move on past the spoiler slapfight?

I read the book a long time ago.
I didn't know it was a potential spoiler. See above, I read the book a long time ago, so I could be wrong.
It took me 1 minute to edit my post. It really didn't hurt me at all to do so.

To recap: Right now, all we know from the show is:

Some Norsemen landed in America, got stuck.
    Bargained with the wind to get unstuck.
    Centuries later, our hero meets a mysterious old guy that says "Wednesday (pronounced Winds-day)" is his day.

Perhaps the rest of the season will shed some more light on whether this is just a coincidence.

Thus my dissatisfaction with the heavy reliance on promotional material and book readership to generate interest.

Also Mr Wednesday makes a quick crack about keeping his eyes out for talent "well the one I have at least".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hadn't read the book and that's what confirmed it for me. He's Mimir, right?

No he's Polyphemus, the cyclops Jason blinds in the Odyssey

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The last scene of the season is just a large cocktail party with everyone she's sucked in.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always hated him, but he's always played roles where you're supposed to hate him and he's really good at that. I think he's a good actor, if a one trick pony.

You weren't supposed to hate him in The Wire and he was good in that. Really sold a man slowly drowning without hope of a life raft. Maybe he's just playing assholes lately because that's what he has the pat fun doing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know, what is this, the local?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mean I wouldn't mind them changing Sandman a bit, I mean they could divert entirely from the source material and have a satisfying ending.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

He was pretty drat thrown off by Dead Wife, comeon

Yeah I think at the moment he saw her anger at her for cheating on him overrode any sort of surprise she was alive.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In all honestly I didn't even know they were calling Wick Baba Yaga until the sequel and they spell the words show up on screen. The name was always said in such a low growl.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

hangedman1984 posted:

Cabbage-head, The "I'm-squishing-your-head" guy, Buddy Cole, Chicken Lady, Simon and his manservant Hecubus. Any big ones I'm forgetting?

Daryl and The It's a Fact girl, obviously the Canadian god of knowledge.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh my god this was one of my favourite acting moments in the show. Ricky Whittle just :blush: and :3: was amazingggggg.

I also loved the look he gave Laura at the end. Now that he has faith, that he believes, he can start wrapping his head around Laura being back. That it's not some trick or delusion, she is truly back and maybe there's a future for them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cojawfee posted:

Look, I like the baby version the best, do you hear me?

Missed the opportunity of having a Jesus in a tuxedo shirt. Like he's here for business but also knows how to have fun.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Saints were real people so I don't know how it would work in this universe. Though I suppose historians agree that Jesus was a real person (just not the son of God with divine powers).

A lot were, a lot weren't. A bunch of saints are just gods that missionaries turned into saints to help convert the indigenous populations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In tangentially related news they announced that David Tennant will be playing Crowley and Michael Sheen will be playing Aziraphale in Amazon's adaptation of Good Omens next year.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Big Bug Hug posted:

I really liked Tennant in Jessica Jones. I hope he isn't a raper because I like him for this role. Not sure I know the other guy but he seems cool?

If you ever watched 30 Rock he played Wesley Snipes in that and William Masters in Master of Sex.

Though looking him he'll apparently have a big role in the next Simon Pegg/Nick Frost joint.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 16, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He does kind of seem like someone who gets bored with something pretty quickly.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think he actually raped anyone, he was a massive creep and sexual harressed people though.

But he's also had one of the best film openings of the year and he's been kept out of most headlines so expect him to be back within the year.

Do you mean Bright? Because I'm not sure a movie premiere on a streaming service can count as a film opening. Besides he's already been replaced for the sequel. Netflix dug themselves into a hole with Danny Masterson and they're going to be extra cautious about associating with any accused.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cojawfee posted:

They parted ways because what he wanted to do was taking way too long and they wanted to get the show out as soon as possible.

I believe I read that it was two months after the planned production start date and he hadn't even turned in the pilot script yet. It does seem like he's not afraid to tank something if he wants out of his contract.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Gaiman loves collaborative storytelling and has always been very keen on watching how other creators interpret his work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So really pretty but canceled before they get out of the Shire?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The montage of Bilbo collecting ingredients for his 111th birthday party would be incredible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nope, pretty sure it was his eleventy first.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Hannibal was a great show, but no one whose job it is to make money on tv shows is going to point at it and say "Give me that."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I had completely forgotten he announced he’s working on a sequel book. No mention of Anansi Boys taking up a season or two, is he expecting the back half of the novel to take up 4 seasons?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Was that even a joke? He wanted a budget of $10million an episode for season 2.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First episode is up for anyone who has Starz streaming.

Edit: it kind of feels the same but just less substantial? Like it’s missing the weight the first season had from the get go.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 10, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hughlander posted:

The Orlando Jones actor who plays Nancy was on a podcast this week (We Got This With Mark and Hal) and some of what he says doesn't bode well. He considers American Gods to be Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Ok but how does that matter? Well he's now main cast. And a producer on the show. And a writer on it as well.

“After some actors, including star Ian McShane (Mr. Wednesday), began taking passes at improving dialogue, the production was forced to enlist co-star Orlando Jones (Mr. Nancy) as a writer on the series so a member of the WGA would be credited with writing instead of having actors violating guild rules.”

Though I’m not sure what you’re trying to say, American Gods is very much a fantasy story and the show has added certain sci if elements. Jones is, in fact, the one actor that has completely grasped and understood his character.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah as season 4 and 5. But with the first season going 30 million over budget and this season getting close with all the production issues and reshoots, getting renewed might be a shoot the moon scenario.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gum posted:

Based on that article, as well as a few others I've read, it sounds like the problem is that Gaiman isn't playing nice with the showrunners and Fremantle is deferring to him

That’s pretty much the general consensus, Fremantle’s Company is also making Good Omens and had a first look contract with Gaiman at the time. So Fremantle had a lot to lose if he upset Gaiman and from what I understand, after everything with Mike Carey and the Lucifer tv show, Gaiman has become a lot more protective of his work.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oasx posted:

They fired Fuller because he wanted a Game of Thrones budget for a show that was getting mediocre ratings.

And then they ended up spending close to what he wanted in reshoots and delays

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Even before Season 2 started airing i remember reading a lot about troubles on the set caused by Jones. He had practically taken over the show half way through the season and started having actors improv their dialogue. It's why a bunch of them have writer credits.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oasx posted:

Did anyone actually think that he was? It's good PR to let him be involved in the production, especially since he has some passionate fans. But it would be pretty astonishing for any creators to have a real say in a tv/movie production of their work.

He has a very heavy hand in the production of Good Omens. I think I quoted the Variety article earlier in the thread but the production company that's making both shows had a first first look contract with Gaimen that was set to expire last June. The studio was desperate to extend and so have a lot of concessions to Gain an both before and after the contracts original end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He was asking for 10 mill an episode for a show that got 750k viewers at best, his firing was the least shocking firing ever.

That's just his standard move when he's bored and wants the freedom to pursue something else.