Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Watched all three seasons back to back over the last few weeks and found it to be quite an interesting show, once done read up a bit and finding out it has been a train wreck behind the scenes really made some characters vanishing make all the more sense.

One thing been wondering, will put in tags in case my speculation is true or someone knows from the books.

Is Wednesday the real original Odin or is he simply Americans Odin. Kinda like all the various Jesus depending on the belief and religion. I always found it odd that Odin says he can't exist if he leaves Americas shores, I mean wouldn't he be widely known in Europe? So shouldn't he be able to go there. Him being the American version of Odin makes sense if he can't leave because there is already a Europe Odin if not various versions ala Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

RudeCat posted:

I think the book spells it out explicitly relatively early in the story that this is the case, believers come to a new land and bring their gods with them. Each country gets a discrete "copy." I think it's been mentioned in the show as well but I could also just be confusing it with stuff from the book.

Malpais Legate posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame how they make such a big deal about Easter taking away spring and then it never comes up again. Kristin Chenoweth wasn't what I pictured for Easter, but she sure did a good job with it.

Regarding your spoilers, all the gods are American gods. The little prequel bits in the show are supposed to indicate the ways that the gods "arrived" in America, like how the vikings burned their offering to Odin on the shores or when Anansi crawls ashore from the wreckage of a slave ship. That's the worship of them creating the new, American versions. The book calls these little interludes "Coming to America" chapters, it's where Salim and the Djinn are introduced too. Unfortunately, the show doesn't convey this very well.

Thanks for the answers.

I feel a bit silly not having caught on much sooner but ah well, no biggie, just gives more dimension to everything.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Got to hand it to Laura, she doesn't let anything stop her in the end and is stubborn to the bitter end. Maybe a God should make her a war Goddess? Then again I suppose you could say Mr. World already sorta did. Maybe she'll get a reputation among the magical and get elevated into her own deity? I mean if peoples beliefs can make Gods why can't Gods beliefs make other Gods? It's not like there hasn't been stories of humans who transcended their mortal shell and she's come back from the dead. I mean it certainly gave Jesus a rep didn't it?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I have thoughts on the episode.

So did the whole town know that Ann was the killer/mystic creature that was helping the town? The sheriff knew since he went right to her home. It seems weird that the town would be so friendly with her if they knew that she was you know, killing people even if it was to help them unless she was making them forget. Speaking of killing people, how does it make the town prosperous if you are killing members of it's teenage populace randomly every few years? Seems the opposite of prosperity. More a curse.

Did Doyle turn down killing Laura because he saw her and fell for her immediately leading to him suggesting Sweeney? Starting to think so. Could explain why he's helping her, that or he wants to know what was Sweeneys friendship with her but betting on the whole love angle. A Leprechaun lucky coin, how powerful does that make a person to have? Lucky as hell sure but what happens if a God got it? A super lucky God sounds like a bad thing, which makes you wonder why others haven't hunted them down for their coins. Or maybe it's less beneficial for Deitys?

When she threw the spear at the portrait of the last supper did it erase Jesus? I could have sworn he was gone when it hit. Maybe just couldn't pick him out on the tablet.

Shadow is going to become the God of Winter right? Why he could make it snow and keeps seeing ice forming on things to help give him clues right? Is that part of some foresight/Godsight? Maybe he has some other tricks.

There is a problem with Wednesday going to make a truce with the new Gods, namely it feels like he really hasn't gotten many for his cause. Mainly due to the cast going but it really feels like he is pretty much right back to step one, maybe two despite everything that's happened.

Are we still getting more Crispin Glover? I had thought he was gone due to all the behind the scenes turmoil so was surprised that he showed up again.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Kung Food posted:

They all had a back of the mind itch that something was wrong. but they buried it because isn't my little slice of small town Americana so swell? The book was written in 2001, right at the height of the economic decimation of the rust belt so it went more in depth about how the entire surrounding area was falling into crushing poverty because of the exodus of American manufacturing, except for this one quaint jewel that prospered. Said prosperity was because of Hinzelmann, and that Lakeside would suffer the same fate without her. This arc ends in a rather dower note because now that she is gone the town's continuing fortune is over and Lakeside is destined to fall into the same decline as the surrounding towns. The teen sacrifice is akin to ye olden cultures that perform sacrifices for bountiful harvests or some such, but replace wheat with small town charm. In the show the reason the sheriff dues ex machinaed into her house is a good ol' fashioned plot hole, just some bog standard bad writing. In the book she overheard Shadow talking to him about what he had found and attacked.

My take is he didn't want to kill her because it was a monstrous job and he is helping her because that garbage person destroyed my coin so gently caress him. Also he might be a bit sweet on Laura. As for Gods with a coin, Mad Sweeny was a proper god in his own right. He was mother loving Lu, which if you know Celtic mythology at all means he was an All Father type and their equivalent of Zeus or Odin. Which makes his god story one of the sadder ones, because first the Christians came and demoted all the Celtic gods to kings/heroes, (They wanted to keep the traditions and folk lore but couldn't abide other gods) then over time they were further demoted to spirits and fey creatures, and the final disgrace they became whatever General Mills made them. Doyle probably has a buried place in the Celtic pantheon as well. Oh and its been pretty well established that the coins can only be given, not taken, and leprechauns usually have them safely stored in their vaults, so no point in other gods hunting them.

Going back to square 1 should be the title for every first episode of a each new season. It feels like they are trying to indefinitely stretch out what should have been three seasons at most.

Thanks for a lot of the info which is also a pretty good gods history lesson. Appreciated all that and it helps make things so much clear and adds much more context to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I'm kinda sad it's not going to continue, sure it likely would have been a total trainwreck but I wanted to see how they would end it.