Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I read the book a long time ago. I remembered that it was a cool premise, and enjoyed the book. But aside from that, I didn't remember much in the way of detail beyond Wednesday=Odin, and Ian McShane merits giving it a chance.

I did something unusual (for me) in that I avoided spoilers and didn't watch all the promotional materials in an attempt to relive the 'cool-ness' of having the story unfold.
Despite really wanting to love it, it dug a bit of a hole followup episodes will need to dig out of. I got a real sense of using visuals as a substitute and not an enhancement to the storytelling in a lot of areas. Lots of visual effects with lots of symbolism that undoubtedly means a lot to the Literature PhDs and Tele-Cinematic Analysis Goons, but just added to the noise for me. I still think the premise of the setting is good, and I really hope they do more in the way of beginning to tie the threads together in the show itself, and not counting on the promotional material and the book to do the lifting there.

As far as Audrey goes, I don't recall if her botoxed upper lip was part of her characterization in the book, but it was extremely distracting - I can't really say how well she pulled off the scene because I was trying to see if that thing ever moved when she talked/emoted.

Someone previously mentioned they hope that Wednesday doesn't use his power to sleep with whomever he wants, because that would be creepy (by today's standards). But that is the root cause of the whole pickle the gods find themselves in. They are who they are - they don't change because of society. Their task is to persuade/trick/intimidate society into accepting and worshipping them as they have been, are, and will continue to be. So if they showrummers have Wednesday change from the womanizing, jealous, strong, angry god that would be recognizable to the Vikings in the first scene they will have failed in their characterization.

e: spoiler tagged, thanks Arist

Golli fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What'll really get people going is if there is a Christmas episode and we get into the overlap between Santa Claus and Odin (what with the myths of the former borrowing a lot from the latter's Wild Hunt and the giving of gifts in exchange for food/drink left out for them while they hunt).

Ah so that explains why Christmas sometimes falls on a Wednesday.

Cool.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Agreed.

I don't think our points are opposing.

At this point the ruleset of the setting is not clear. Based on what we have seen, gods are created somehow - but once created they must have worshippers to remain powerful, and thus relevant. My point is that if a god (once brought into existence) can remain relevant by changing their core personality traits (and associated powers) then the source of conflict in the setting is nullified.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

In the opening scene:

VO: "The wind could be bargained with"

Eventually Wind comes.

On the plane:

McShane's character: "It's my day. Wind's Day."

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Can we please move on past the spoiler slapfight?

I read the book a long time ago.
I didn't know it was a potential spoiler. See above, I read the book a long time ago, so I could be wrong.
It took me 1 minute to edit my post. It really didn't hurt me at all to do so.

To recap: Right now, all we know from the show is:

Some Norsemen landed in America, got stuck.
    Bargained with the wind to get unstuck.
    Centuries later, our hero meets a mysterious old guy that says "Wednesday (pronounced Winds-day)" is his day.

Perhaps the rest of the season will shed some more light on whether this is just a coincidence.

Thus my dissatisfaction with the heavy reliance on promotional material and book readership to generate interest.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It wasn't a wind god, it was a war god. That's why they fought each other so he would give them wind.

The intro scene says they made offerings to force the All-Father to notice them so far from their home and intercede on their behalf with the wind. So it wasn't just "a" war god. Whether they succeeded in drawing his attention or Kickstarting All-Father 2.0 is as yet to be determined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Also did you miss where he mentioned farming indigo for white men's purple suits in his speech? Wearing the suit was a symbol. He has what they want. He's playing them. He's a showman.

Indigo is used to make blue dye, not purple.

Purple dye is made from snails/whelks, for at least 2000 years before the scene on the ship.

Not that the audience knew or cared. Same with "police", "tobacco", "cancer" etc. terms that likely meant nothing to this particular audience in the 17th century.

He was saying what he needed to say to get them to sacrifice. Even if it meant stretching the truth.