Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like, if this gets a similar adaptation to how Hannibal regarded the Thomas Harris books, it'll be fairly difficult to spoil things week to week.

I am hella excited for more Bryan Fuller on the screen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the premiere was pretty great. There was a lot I loved; Shadow whenever he talked to someone, a lot of the cinematography, and the Technical Boy's appearance. Audrey and Low Key were both amazing. I loved how angry Audrey was in her scene, and I want to see more contrast between the careful, articulate Shadow who befriends Low Key and the laconic version he presents to the free world. At the same time though it felt a bit less refined than Hannibal's pilot; I didn't get a particularly strong impression of Mr. Wednesday (as great as Ian McShane is, the scene where Shadow vehemently rebuffs him fell a bit flat, since they'd had one conversation to date). I also would've liked a bit more time with Laura Moon.

Wanton speculation: LOST and Hannibal veteran, not to mention all-around MVP Jeremy Davies is playing Jesus later in this season. Big character for a potential cameo. Considering Bryan Fuller's skill at reworking established narratives, and the white-and-blue fabric cloaking Laura in her scene, could she be Mary?

Gonz posted:

I'm half expecting Raśl Esparza to pop up on this show.

what if Chilton ends up nearly murdered (again) after a date with his sunny debutante girlfriend he met at the pie shop

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't watch the new episode for a few days but do we see Lucy's tits?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julio Cruz posted:

He said something like "the manner of your death means I deal with you." So I guess Anubis is either the god of car crashes or blowjobs?

I was really hoping for a shot of Laura washing her back with her own detached arm in the shower.

e: checked back. The exact quote is "the circumstances of your death commit me."

ee: checked again, "commit me" is right.

Anubis, god of depressed atheistic Egyptophiles whose spouses work for his colleagues

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soothing Vapors posted:

I thought it was pretty heavily implied that Jimmy's posh accent is a complete put-on because he is, in fact, a trashman from a trashfamily, but I could be remembering wrong.

Yeah Jimmy dealing with his lovely heritage was a pretty big part of the most recent season. Not as well done as Gretchen's depression but it did also get less space to use.

edit: As much as I love Hannibal, I wish Bryan Fuller et al. had used that one Manhunter tiger scene shot from the Manhunter/Red Dragon moviefight thread. I'm on mobile right now but the OP commented on one shot that really emphasized how jealous Francis was of the tiger's virility.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 12, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Gretchen from Wonderfalls shows up here, too, to tie that show and Hannibal to this one.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Easter blighting all the crops will serve as an excuse for Bryan Fuller to film season 2 of American Gods in the winter, like each season of Hannibal was.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Please, tumblr has enough to do already.

Essie, in Laura, in Bilquis - exclusive to my Patreon!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That all said Mary Sweenburgen would be a great choice if an older Gaelic god were introduced, or even if the Will Ferrell's Mom god was introduced.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just to be clear Michael Sheen did not play Wesley Snipes, he played a man named Wesley Snipes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anything to enable my crossover fanfic where Hannibal Lecter and Mickey Rourke cook people on his sex grill, I guess.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
loving lol at everyone who blames Bryan Fuller for the network loving him over

I mean if you paid him to make the first season did you even watch it? Of course he's going to want to expand on the already generous budget you asked for.

However I'm curious at how that money breaks down when you look at a $10 million per episode price tag. Is it the celebrity cast? Because the show, as great as it is, doesn't look that much better than Hannibal, a show always cheaper than it looked where Bryan paid for the Siouxsie Sioux song in the finale himself.

edit: also a show without both showrunners and probably more than just Kristin Chenoweth leaving the cast will be bad no matter what

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

I hope the season 1 penis doesn't decide to leave this show.

It's kinda heartening to see how much people have come around on Dane Cook these days

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Starz ran a hit piece on Bryan Fuller, it's that simple. The man makes good but incredibly niche TV, and it turned out that was what he was going to keep doing on American Gods rather than pump out some "the next Game of Thrones" crowdpleaser.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gollum and Frodo spend half a season ruminating on the nature of the Ring, before Gollum throws Sam into the Dead Marshes to see how Frodo will react

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was also Frodo's thirty-third birthday, so one gross put together.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was weird because in the first full shot of New Media Kahyun Kim totally gave off Gillian Anderson energy and then they just kind of had her say computer words for the rest of the episode

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like it was presented more in terms of her loving the tentacle but yes

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bring back Fuller imo

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stop letting Fuller go, shows

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pyrotek posted:

Just let him make Hannibal seasons 4-whatever. It is where his heart is.

If Trump promised to bring back Hannibal I'd go full chud in a heartbeat.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just think of the recastings as a measure of how much the actor wanted to be in a Bryan Fuller show vs wanting to be in a show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The retiree in a baseball cap that says "WOKE" may not have been the best person to continue Bryan Fuller's work