Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The soundtrack was cool and good. The technical boy stuff was weird, and not just in the changes from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

showbiz_liz posted:

The last new show I watched before this was Legion, and I am jazzed as hell that 'bizarre nonlinear intentionally vague loving fantastically weird-looking TV that cares more about creating a vibe than being primarily focused on plot' is perhaps becoming a thing. Pan's Labyrinth and The Fall and Hero are up there with my favorite movies ever, but making a TV show along those lines probably wouldn't have flown even 5 or 6 years ago.

(And based on interviews with Noah Hawley, apparently a lot of poo poo in Legion was partly inspired by him watching the last season of Hannibal and thinking 'well gently caress, that looks fun')

If only because Legion annoyed me and I find magic realism intractable, I feel compelled to point out that American Gods has a bucket-load of plot. This is not all tone poetry and internal consistency mattered in the book. That's. It to say it's Sanderson levels of magic rules, but "having a plot" shouldn't be a strike against it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Mr. Nancy has a scene in the next episode according to this promo piece.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Gaussian posted:

Maybe I'm just being dense, but here goes: In addition to the racial aspect of the tree/noose imagery, doesn't it serve a dual purpose as another allusion to Odin? He did hang himself from Yggdrasil to gain knowledge if I remember my Norse mythology correctly.

You are correct, but to say more would be terminally significant book spoilers.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This is a bit pedantic, and I don't think it detracts from the show at all, but the very end of Anansi's scene potentially misrepresents how belief and gods work. In the book, we get a number of vignettes of otherwise-normal people coming to America and bringing with them their beliefs. So it struck me as a little odd when the Anansi-Spider crawled off the jetsam being portrayed as his "arrival." Certainly, of course, other people that brought his stories with them too.

Regardless, while I liked episode 1, episode 2 surpassed it in almost every way. I'm really surprised how fast they're moving through the book, especially knowing where the first season ends. Though it may just be that I read it leisurely over a good long while.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Normal Adult Human posted:

none of the 'gods' obey any real mechanics other than they want/need/crave 'worship' in some form or other.

That's fair. Certainly it doesn't break anything, but I had a different interpretation than the show implied. I don't want to pick apart the "rules" too much.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
A thread notorious for being bad at watching TV is mad that someone is bad at watching TV.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

COOL CORN posted:

Interesting that this episode ended with the god Allah. I wonder if and how that's going to be handled? Or will the Djinn be the only Islamic deity-thing we see?

It would be kinda lovely to portray Muhammad, much less consider the complications of finding an actor to do so. But the transcendental nature of the Abrahmic God does raise questions. Maybe that belief is just sailing off into the void, since that god doesn't seem to be an interventionist like the more classical period figures. Or maybe that divinity keeps on working like it always has: making revelations to people that everyone else considers to be crazy.

I'd also be curious to see how the show tackles the very extant gods of Hindu culture. Some people with physical maladies are identified as gods still, but should there also be four-armed and elephant-headed gods bopping around India while Wednesday does his thing in the states?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

vermin posted:

Does Santa Claus exist?

The parts of The Dresden Files that Butcher lifted from American Gods had a field day with this question.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Tigren posted:

Who's Santa Claus? This more book poo poo?

Some kind of small pastry?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Crow Jane posted:

Possibly related, as much as I enjoy the movies, it bugs me that John Wick is known as Baba Yaga. She was a boogeywoman, dammit. And if they absolutely had to go with that name, they could've at least given him a mortar and pestle to cruise around in, or a sweet chicken leg house :colbert:

You're not alone. I feel like they meant "Chernobog", since Baba Yaga is a witch queen and Chernobog is sort-of a devil figure. It just baffles me how that made it into the movie, unless it's a whole extra layer of meta. It's not like Chernobog sounds any less menacing when you grimace the word into a finger of scotch.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Santa would be a good candidate for a "coming to America" segment in the next season. They could even double up on using Ian McShane to play the role. Demonstrate the Old God ethos of give a little worship, get a little answer in pre-industrial Germany then see the world shift its views on him. Modern day Santa has it made, just so long as he never delivers presents, piling up for decades, since it would upset the Invisible Hand of the market.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJEa9aW5PQ

Season 2 Trailer. New Media, God-Body Odin, and the Carousel at House on the Rock!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Are they already greenlit for Season 3 as Mr. Whittle's tweet would seem to imply?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Gaiman has always been willing to suggest that American Gods would eventually get a sequel. Without spoiling too much, the ending definitely leaves open the possibility of doing so. If or when he decides to write one is another question. And plus, the world has changed so much since American Gods that a sequel could be a wildly different sort of creation.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Where's the other 70% of it gonna be?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just finished the premier. I felt like it was faithful to the first season. But I do have concerns that like the first episode of every season of Game of Thrones, the episode almost has to be all catch up of the last season. (Especially with two-year breaks being the norm for prestige shows.) Shadow getting abducted did feel like something of a retread.

Regarding Mr World and book spoiler's All of his actions are completely re-contextualized knowing the way the book plays out. And given some of the hints he dropped in this episode, I can't imagine they change that. But I'm curious how they intend to do so, because it seems like a massive task to make satisfying for the show.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
House on the Rock is very real be very weird. I went with friends before the first season because we had expected the first season to end with the carousel scene:

Weirdest thing at the house might be the very cult-y video playing on repeat in the first exhibit room. It describes the builder’s youth as, and I quote, “As a boy, he grew strong.” With that 50s educational film cadence. Either that or the alarming number of shag carpeted books that were clearly for boning.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This isn't a measured review of the season, and I say it respecting that a great deal of the show just isn't for my pale, cishet dude corpulence, but I'm kind of wearing out on the show. The scene with Bilquis, Ibis, and Anansi was great; but all the scenes of World menacing Technical Boy, Technical Boy menacing some rando are becoming tiring. Did the book have this much shouting? Was it this disjointed and ephemeral? I don't remember that, but maybe it's been a function of needing to focus on more that just Shadow.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Kaedric posted:

I've complained before, but mostly in the hope that it would change: the show seems to want to do a 'monster of the week' thing like a loving CW show. Hey look! This week we're meeting the god of traffic and automobiles! Tune in next week when our ragtag group of heroes goes against the god of snapchat!

I've read the book, yeah. I think the pacing my be an issue as a previous poster said. But, then again, a solid third of the book involves doing absolutely gently caress all dithering around Minnesota. I'm not about to call CW show yet. I think the Vulcan and Easter episodes from last season were inspired. Argus had some business for Laura and Money is a solid character for the mythology of the show. (Wasn't he called The Invisible Hand in the book?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Honestly I'm just dreading how even more plotless the season where shadow is stuck in a town doing nothing will turn out to be

I'm kind of expecting them to drop most of the Minnesota stuff, but if I'm being hopelessly optimistic, it might work out okay. That whole chunk of the story might as well be another book, but it has a specific plot the kobold and a conclusion that supports the main theme. What it doesn't have in Mr. World menacing someone, that person saying something cryptic, and Shadow getting confused and frustrated by the gods.