Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hipster Occultist posted:

Basically Mr World is Loki, and the whole war is long con between Odin and Loki. During a parley between the Old Gods and the New Gods, Odin is killed (not by Laura, I forget who). This galvanizes the Old Gods and eventually both sides meet to fight it out. Meanwhile, Shadow is bound by his contract to be pierced by a spear for nine days and hang from the tree. Horus convinces Easter to raise him from the dead, while one of Loki's MIB's takes a branch from the Tree. Loki was going to use the branch (which turns into a spear) and throw it over the battle, dedicating it as a blood sacrifice to Odin, while he fed on the chaos and trickery of it all. Laura (still a zombie) stabs Loki with the spear, Shadow shows up, and him and Odin's ghost spill the beans. Shadow in turns reveals the con, everyone goes home, Loki and Odin die. Shadow goes to Iceland and meets a more traditional, less lovely Odin.

Just to add to book spoilers : Shadow figures out the con that Odin was pulling because throughout the book Odin was imparting his wisdom, teaching Shadow a lot of stuff that included his own examples of cons. And when everyone was busy with the war and Odin + Loki were ripe to level up, Shadow was like "I figured out the con. All your real con examples were two men cons, which when spread thinly over a 1000 page epic was like "Yeah, they had the seeds there the whole time. Just a neat moment that I distinctly remember even though I read the book like 10+ years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nth Doctor posted:

588 pages, according to my copy. I love, however, that Gaiman name-drops Loki Lie-Smith as Shadow's cellmate Low-Key Lyesmith on page two of the text. When that all came together for me was such a great moment.

I have a confession about this part of the book. I picked up American Gods because my friend recommended it, I didn't read the back or find out anything about it. So when I read like the first two pages, I was like "Haha, that name sounds like Loki Lie-Smith, that's amusing." Fast forward half a book later and I'm like HOW DID I MAKE NOTE OF THAT AND STILL NOT SEE THIS COMING I AM NOT SMART