Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I got a chance to watch the first episode of this at the Bard College event a few weeks back. It's extremely good and is as close to the book material as you could ever hope for, and having Fuller as the show runner was definitely the best possible thing the show could have hoped for.

Edit: Whoops, read the OP. I'll save that tidbit for after the scene in question airs.

Max fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm looking forward to being able to discuss the first episode with others. Non spoiler review: it's good!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's really funny, at the talk both Gaiman and Fuller were just spoiling the whole season, but I think they assumed everyone there had read the book at that point / what they were saying was incomprehensible to anyone that doesn't know what's going on.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

All in all I really liked the first episode. Thought it ended at an odd point though.

Being familiar with Fuller, I was not at all surprised that it ended the way it did.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A show that takes place in America.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

A Bryan Fuller show based on the second trippiest work that Neil Gaiman penned.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Just watched the episode again. The ending is where the show brings it home in terms of visuals I was expecting out of this collaboration.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, good ideas are often arrived at by leaving a large trail of terrible ideas, that's just part of the writing process, and it seems to have worked exactly as intended.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

KilGrey posted:

This....this is a thing? I'm not googling it to see for myself. The internet has tricked me into doing that one too many times.

Good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Elotana posted:

Is there a name for that shaky-background camera technique used during World's introduction?

They filmed him using a handheld camera and then stabilized the image on his face, so the background looks like it's freaking out to keep him centered and still.