Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

"Give me back my two minutes. I wasted two minutes reading your off-topic posts, and now I want them back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

To bring this back around: I love that Fuller brought his composer with him. The "Hannibal-drums" and trumpet noises are much appreciated in AG and perfectly fit the aesthetic!

On top of that, Brian Reitzell has a golden ear for picking out the perfect song for any occasion, he's almost on Quentin Tarantino's level. During Hannibal he demonstrated an amazing knowledge of classical music that you'd never heard of, and made great judgement calls on whether or not they needed to be tweaked and adjusted to fit the scene. Got love-making scenes with a blind woman? Use piano solos to emphasize how she's using her hands to explore her lover's body. Brilliant!

This past episode of AG, I love how he decided every song in a story set the 1700's would be 1950's doo-wop. It's weird, its anachronistic, I have no idea if it makes any thematic sense, but man it just feels so right for some reason.

I really really appreciate his judgement even more after watching Handmaid's Tale. Whoever's picking out off the shelf songs there is so tone deaf by comparison.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How are you supposed to have enough bad luck to give away your lucky coin if your lucky coin is supposed to give you good luck? Check mate, Gaiman

Edit: loving autocorrect

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 13, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Might be true, but I much prefer leaning on the idea that Sweeney is doing it out of a sense of morals than out of an obligation to follow rules and laws

edit: it makes it funnier that she punches him for it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 14, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AFewBricksShy posted:

Didn't he already do the wendigo in Hannibal?

Yeah but it's sort of a running gag now to see how many characters and story elements Fuller can reuse across shows.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Eventually when Fuller gets the rights to Sandman, I'd like to see him work every original character he's ever made into random episodes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He was also Charles Manson

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Must've been a painful birth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
This episode was a good reminder that the Old Gods can be assholes too. Nunyunnini died to save its people. By contrast, Easter has been doing relatively alright and Wednesday talks her into being more greedy for followers. He talks her into withholding food from the masses until they worship her. He talks her into having an abusive relationship with people.

The music is hopeful wonderment music as she starves the planet.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 19, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd say Anubis is a pretty chill God, all things considered. The Zorya Sisters, too.

I dunno, didn't Jacquel mislead that Egyptian woman about her afterlife?

dead comedy forums posted:

felt the ending was a bit poo poo tbqh

they should just keep investing in casting and stop doing lovely sfx because imho it is just loving up the great acting that is going on

I liked a lot of the individual moments of the episode but I have to agree about the effects, for some reason they went downhill at Easter's house:
- They did digital de-aging on Chenoweth, which was really distracting. Either spend more money to make it unnoticable, or go overboard and make it noticeable on purpose like make her glow or something
- Mr World's pixellated appearance just looked overdone, like they took the pixellated appearance from the police station which was a tolerable amount and doubled it. If they scaled it back to how much they had at the police station or if they limited it to his face being projected on the anonymous goon's face it would've looked a lot better
- The day shot for night when Wednesday called in the storm clouds looked pretty fake, but that's kind of hard to pull of to begin with
- Ian McShane put in a great performance when he revealed his name but the camera movement and thunder were just cartoonish

I dunno what happened, the CG during Bilquis' scenes were much better

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chop Sunni posted:

Also, the fade to the saucy art after politely asking Shadow to gtfo means they banged right? Not a hair out of place afterwards, that's classy.

Speaking of which, this episode had some great transitions:
- the red moon turns into Bilquis' afro in the 70's
- the lens flare from the disco ball falling turns into the sun in the window of the Air Persia jet
- Persian girl's heartrate monitor flatlining turns into the curb as Bilquis turns homeless
- in Shadow's nightmware, the bulffalo's eyes turn into the cadillac's headlights

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

That wasn't night, that was just overcast.

Yeah but it wasn't a convincing looking overcast.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Firstborn posted:

Really? I can't take Orlando Jones seriously. The voice he does for this guy is complete caricature, and doesn't sound natural or smooth at all. He's always the "Make 7 Up Yours" guy to me.

I'm not seeing a downside to this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WreUmBorEmA

Must be nice to be Brian Reitzell and be able to call up Siouxsie Sioux or Debbie Harry or Shirley Manson and be like "hey can you make a song for my TV show"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 19, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

wait, was there a dick on screen this episode? Other than technical boy I mean?

Even during the orgy at Bilquis' temple they were all covered in shadow

Bilquis' junk was in shadow too.

Surprisingly junk free episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Random thoughts:

I grumbled a little bit at the pre-production naming Jeremy Davies, a white non-jewish guy, as Jesus Prime, but then I remembered that this is about how Jesus is perceived in America

I enjoyed that Odin runs over rabbits and smirks, which had to be a contrast to how Laura got herself killed trying to avoid killing one rabbit

I was amused Jesus was visually coded to be "drinking" away his sorrows in a bar, except in a pool full of water. I suppose they made a calculated decision not to have Jesus turn the water into wine... not only would people get upset about the portrayal of Jesus getting drunk, but anything he said to Shadow would be hard to take seriously

Rabbit poops jelly beans :3:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 19, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

https://open.spotify.com/track/7sL8hp9JVdWrvYiJJptZ7p

original song, "they are here finale". (the part of the dance starts at 2 minutes in)

Oh yeah I was going to mention, the beginning of that when Media and Easter are talking sounded like Phillip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The part of God will be played by a Terry Gilliam cartoon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
C'mon guys it's a big world out there, plenty of people might not grow up being familiar with Norse mythology when there are zillions of other things to read or be occupied with in school

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Toplowtech posted:

No, it's not ganesha it's a fat smiling god so either one of seven Lucky Gods, Hotei or chinese god Budai(the "laughing buddha").

Both are there

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I bet they try to set a trap for Shadow, not knowing that Shadow's not the kind of guy to cheat on his dead wife!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Crow Jane posted:

To be fair, everyone who bought a pair probably looked pretty dumb, which can maybe count as divine retribution

Or maybe it counts as sacrificing your fashion reputation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Whoa, Scott Thompson had cancer?

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/scott-thompson-of-kids-in-the-hall-beat-cancer-moved-back-to-la-and-became-a-stand-up-comedian-8359739

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jeoh posted:

How's Shadow going to feel about the only people giving Odin his power being neo-Nazis though? I mean, who else even still believes in Norse mythology?

I have no idea how their numbers compare to neo nazis, but there are modern day odinists out there who are progressive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait was superman in sandman?

He shows up at Morpheus' funeral, along with Batman and Martian Manhunter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

kanonvandekempen posted:

He quit over budget, he wanted 10 million per episode, which is similar to the Game of Thrones budges, on a show that does not come close to having 10% of GOT viewers

It seems like a preposterous amount to demand and I wonder if he did it on purpose because he wanted out for other reasons

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am a huge fan of Fuller and I still lolol at anyone defending him asking for $10 million per episode.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Place your bets. Will he:

Pull a Hannibal and last 3 seasons
Pull a Pushing Daisies and last 2 seasons
Pull an American Gods and last 1 season
Pull a Dead Like Me and last half a season
Pull a Wonderfalls and last 4 episodes
Pull a Star Trek and beam out before it even starts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol if you don't think walking after asking for $10 million an episode for a show with 774,000 viewers isn't diva behavior

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

"I know you're excited about your first effects job out of college, so we're going to let you jump right in. I need you to make a big ol dick."
I'm sure he got an amazing referral on his next job

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
II think they also applied some effect on her face in post to hide wrinkles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
LOL

https://nerdist.com/bryan-fuller-exits-anne-rice-vampire-chronicles/

BRYAN FULLER STRIKES AGAIN

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I make fun of him lately, but in his defense, anyone know if there’s truth to the rumor that Anne Rice is a nightmare to work with?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

At least now Fuller isn't getting all the blame

He is, this is all happening because he left

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Season 2 premiere in 2 hours. Trip report coming.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Episode 1 is, like the premiere of season 1, a bunch of weird stuff happening and I didn’t quite get a handle on why. I assume we will have things cleared up as we go along

Also I was sleepy and the audio in the theatre wasn’t great so it might make more sense when I watch it at home in a few days

This premiere was a much bigger production than Season 1, maybe because they’ve built an audience. The venue was much bigger, there was free popcorn and booze, there was a red carpet and social media influencers were invited. Unfortunately no Q&A which was really awkward because the actors were there and then slipped out at the end in full view of everyone, so everyone waited to see if there was a Q&a, but no, they just went home. Maybe the producers didn’t want to field any questions about Bryan Fuller, who knows.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah... I was worried that it wasn’t just my sleepiness.