Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

JustinMorgan posted:

Wait they're doing more than one season? With what source material? Stretching that one book into ten hours of screen time seems like a lot.

Yeah, they've said they've planned the book material out to three short seasons, with more possible by including Anansi Boys, American Gods 2 (which Gaiman is finishing now), etc.

The first season will end just before the House on the Rock , per the producers/Gaiman. They've expanded the roles of some of the female characters to make it a bit less of a sausage party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah guys, seriously, cut it out. (Though some people have been great, and all deserve a cookie.) I've been lenient because the show hasn't actually started, but once it does (i.e. after tonight) kindly shut the gently caress up and talk about what's actually in the episode.

This is literally never going to be a thing for a show with a built in fanbase, sorry to have to be the one to break the bad news.

Unsurprisingly, people will want to talk about comparisons. If the show is as big as GoT (it won't be) it can have two threads. Otherwise, saying 'Get back to the book thread' doesn't make sense - people want to talk about the show, not the books - and even if it did make sense it wouldn't happen because the book is > 10 years old and the show is new so this is where the people talking about it will be.

So, yeah. Asking people to spoiler tag things with wild abandon is probably a thing you can do. Saying "Literates, get thee out my thread!" is a neat idea but not a thing that will happen. :shrug:

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've been surprised at how much they've leaned into talking about the premise in promotional material but I suppose that is the only way to make it sound interesting. "An ex-con goes on a roadtrip with an elderly con-man" isn't quite as good.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo first episode surpassed my expectations immediately. This sure is a Brian Fuller series and I mean that in the best possible way.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Audrey's performance was really fantastic and makes her a lot more interesting.

I agree it ended in an odd place - worked fine for me, but if I didn't know the source material I think I would be in 'WTF did I just watch?' mode, and maybe not in a good way.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

hangedman1984 posted:

Despite having a rough first half of the first season, AoS is actually extremely good (as soon as you get past the big reveal from the Winter Soldier movie)

This is not accurate. AoS fans always say this but it is a deception. Don't be fooled like I was into watching hot garbage. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last season was mostly pretty good, this season is mostly pretty bad.

Ok that's all.