Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I found the ending to the episode a bit jarring too but I really enjoyed the episode. Ian McShane is amazing, I expected that, but I'm really pleased with Mad Sweeney. I loved the barroom brawl.

I can only imagine how :wtf: this is to people who haven't read the book. You kind of just have to have faith :rimshot: and go along for the ride.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I read American Gods back way before the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a thing. Loki is now a household name and a beloved character by many. I was a big nerd of Mythology, so I picked up on Low Key pretty fast, but I dunno how many other people did. But nowadays? Its hard to hide that...

Seems like the show just avoided saying his name, maybe I missed it. But the marketing straight up spoiled it.

It's pretty obvious in the book from the get go. They don't really try too hard to hide anyone's identity. Especially after Shadow is in the know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

right to bear karma posted:

I was surprised by how much I liked Mad Sweeney. I don't recall enjoying his character as much in the book. I'm really due for a reread.

He's unfortunately not in the book much and I really hope that's a change they made in this adaptation. Like, if just once an episode he could come out, pull some coins out of the air with panache and get in a fight, that would be fine with me. I don't think it could get old.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

The best lies contain a lot of truth.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

YggiDee posted:

If it's by the mouth, it's vore. What Bilquis is doing is unbirthing.

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's not vore you loving idiot it's unbirthing. jesus christ do you even know the difference between a mouth and a vagina?

This....this is a thing? I'm not googling it to see for myself. The internet has tricked me into doing that one too many times.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

I didn't take Media showing up as who she's shown up as to mean she's fading. TV isn't fading in the least. There are a bajillion channels now days as well as poo poo like Netflix. People drop thousands on big flat screen TVs and entertainment systems. "Media" covers more than just TV as well.

Her showing up as Lucy, Marilyn and Bowie is just that they are iconic and immediately recognizable. It's smart from a show stand point too because multiple generations of watchers will recognize those characters. Not everyone would recognize if she showed up as Walter White, Jon Snow or Rick Grimes.

I love Laura. I sympathize with her because I went through a large stretch of apathy like she did. She recognizes she's a lovely person and being dead had made her more alive.

Also, I want Mad Sweeney in every episode forever.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

precision posted:

Media says there are aliens because people believed there were. Not that those aliens are Gods like she is, just that belief creates reality.

I think she implied she got high off of that. A ton of people tuned into that radio broadcast and collectively poo poo themselves giving her a big bump.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

One of my favorite moments in the last episode was when Bilquis walked up to Tech Boy and started rubbing up on him and he reacted like a scared Goon and had no idea what to do. Pretty much exactly how you'd expect an internet nerd to react.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

precision posted:

I took that to be a play on the old cyberpunk trope of bleeding edge tech boys having a snobbish disdain for "meatspace"

Didn't he make some snarky comment about how that wouldn't work on him?

I took it as him trying to cover for reacting like a virgin by saying he was too cool for her tricks to work. I can see your read on it too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Better set my DVR, I’m at work at 3:10pm