Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

El Grillo posted:

That title sequence was weirdly ripped-off from Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Odd.
I liked it, but had the same reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I really liked Anansi being a mixture of the old version of the god, a tarantula, and a modern man in a suit. I guess I won't comment on what I think about Stomare's character because everyone got upset last time. It's a bit frustrating that it goes so deep into one part of the story but we only get tiny snippets of other people. I'm not really interested in whatever the hell Bilquis or whoever is doing. But I want to know more about Anansi and Gillian Anderson's character.
Yeah, it's kind of a strange situation when an ancient sex goddess is the most boring character on a show.

I'm also looking forward to more Anansi and Gillian Anderson.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: at knowing the difference between vore and unbirthing whatever the gently caress.
Sadly, everyone in this thread knows that difference now.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Soysaucebeast posted:

I read that less as a suicide attempt and more as her getting high and not really caring if she died in the process. She likes danger and was just THAT bored.
Yeah. The way that they're portraying her is really interesting, in that she displays some.classic anti-social personality traits (dangerous thrill-seeking, disregard for other's feelings, disregard for conventional morality) while at the same time being loyal, in her own way, to Shadow.

Despite the anti-social stuff, she's not a caricature; she comes off as having behaved in these ways in life because she was depressed to the point of being numb and needed danger to feel alive. That all jives with her refusal, in death, to willingly go into "the darkness." I really like the character.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 23, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah that was definitely supposed to be suicide and she changed her mind halfway into it.

If she was getting high she'd just do it upstairs with a paper bag or something. You don't lock yourself into a small chamber like that unless you're trying to suffocate. She wasn't hot boxing.
Her request to Shadow for more bug spray implied that this was an on-going thing. I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that she was getting high and wasn't too worried about the risks, or that the risks enhanced it for her.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

This is almost as bad as the people not getting the dog bit earlier.

Oh, goons. :allears:
The dots between extreme depression and dangerous-to-the-point-of-suiciadal-thrill-seeking are pretty well connected dude.

See also, e.g., taking home the criminal stranger you just met who creepily propositined you in the parking lot after he waited for hours.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

BTW that part confused me a bit. Does being a zombie whore give Laura super strength?
Apparently. That seemed odd to me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It didn't use Native American actors and was "mildly but distinctly racist"
I'm genuinely curious as to how, on today's Internet, a portrayal of an imagined pre-historical people could avoid the "racist" accusation. I'm also curious if the people making the accusation are the slightest bit self-aware of how absurd it is.