Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't discussed the book in this thread since the other one was made. I'm pretty sure. I certainly have intended to avoid doing so.

Media's line about the aliens, I don't even remember if it was in the book. I sure didn't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Media should definitely have her own spinoff

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seemed to me like the militia that showed up to kill Jesus might have actually been sent by American Jesus. As in Jesus is at war with himself in America, which would be on point. None of this is in the book so I'm not fake speculating or anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Not that I don't believe him, but as soon as that conversation started I knew for an absolute certainty that it would end with Laura saying exactly that, or something very close to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll be very disappointed if we don't get to see all the tacky "gods" like Santa Claus. Also, where's Cupid drat it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Sweeney's all the cupid I'll ever need.

He's not my type physically, but otherwise :agreed: :swoon:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The main annoyance for me in the fact that next week is the finale is that they did a lot of promo material for two characters who have not even been in the season aside from one of them having one scene (Mr. Nancy). And they announced casting for really exciting characters but I guess they're not in this season at all :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guys, the tiger doesn't show up until way after Mohamed and Sweeney fight on top of Millennium Tower, Jeez keep it in the spoiler thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Q: What'd Hannibal say to Laura Moon?
A: Eat a dick.

:rimshot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
John Wick is ridiculously good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't realize the extent to which they were betting on a season 2, because if they hadn't gotten renewed that would have been an exceptionally frustrating season of television, doubly so for non-book fans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would really like to see Gnostic Jesus, they could have him be the same as the dope-smokin' Commie Jesus that has always enjoyed a moderate following.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Firstborn posted:

The writing is fine. The acting is a guy from MAD TV doing a Katt Williams impersonation.

I feel like this is intentional, though, so it's a taste thing. I like it, despite him being VERY different from how he's described in the b- [ZZZZ%$#%#$&#*& CONTENT_TYPE_EMPTY]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Most of the speech was great, but my wife and I both bust out laughing (and she's never read the b**k) at "ODIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" with the terrible CGI cloudface

It was like an early 2000s final fantasy cutscene, and not in the good way

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely saw at least one dick in the Bilquis scene actually

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus Prime being a vaguely nice, confused and guilty dude who speaks in platitudes really nailed the American Jesus

Pun seriously not intended

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now let's argue for a year about whether he said "ODIN" or "RAIDEN"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JawnV6 posted:

And the two ravens, Noobin and Saibot.

I'm dyin' over here, help me Jesus Prime

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do feel like there was a missed opportunity to have Media school Jesus on why he's so popular.

Or maybe they're saving it for season 2 so they can have a New God Jesus who is specifically and only around because of Christian TV channels. Maybe Jeremy Davies can fight him. I would like to see that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yes, many people (some Catholic, some Gnostic, some Santerian) who worship Mary herself. People certainly pray to her.

All those "Hail Mary"s add up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

The part of God will be played by a Terry Gilliam cartoon

In my dreams!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want to see Samael and Sophia show up, given that the US has the largest and fastest-growing number of Gnostics in the entire world. One could even argue that, while Gnostic Christians are a tiny majority of Overall Christians, they overwhelmingly tend to be much more serious about that belief.

Would also not be surprised if Gaiman worked in a variation of the Pratchett quote "Wizards don't believe in magic because a fish doesn't believe in water", I feel like that sentiment applies to how Media and Tech Boy work; nobody believes in them per se, they are like believing in gravity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No I do not want Steampunk Gods please don't give Neil Gaiman any ideas, you know he'd do it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The steampunk scene is full of people who missed or fled from the SCA scene.

They are all terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

The Trickster God Bill Belichick

Frankly it was a missed opportunity to have Tim Tebow as one of the Jesus'

Tebow Wept (college football fam, you got me)

Alternately, cast Peyton Manning as Buddy Jesus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it would be awesome if Crowley and Anton LaVey both show up and fight each other

Catholics at one point even said that Egyptian gods and Buddha were saints. They were just giving it away at that point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Catholicism is so frustrating because it's almost there, I mean just in the last 10 years one of the higher-ranking Vatican scholars admitted that the Gnostic Gospels were worth reading - contrast this with most Protestant branches who claim they were "written by Satan"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly I'm trying to think what other Greco-Roman deities might show up as old gods and the only one I can think right now is probably Athena/Minerva

Minerva is a definite possibility as moon worship arguably predates civilization even existing.

Also where's Hermes? Don't people pray to their doctors, in a way?

precision fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They could get wacky and have Anubis say that Minerva was just another one of his names:

"Stemming from an Italic moon goddess *Meneswā ('She who measures')"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

God is also portrayed as a senile cripple whose bureaucratic powerhouse has moved far beyond his control.

That sounds familiar...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Party Boat posted:

Yeah, Mad Sweeney sees Essie in Laura.

Please, tumblr has enough to do already.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Technical Boy's favorite band is quite obviously brokNcyde

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

Wow, that was a giant pile of poo poo.

I'm the Viking in a Cardigan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

skull mask mcgee posted:

This 4chan kid I used to go to school with was extremely into Tyler The Creator so i'm assuming technical kid is as well.

"Shadow, do you see that record store?"
"The lovely one?"
"Yes, the lovely one. I want you to go in there and buy a vinyl copy of In The Aeroplane Over the Sea. It's the only way to get him to go away."

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII love you Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Cuh-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yahweh is too powerful to care about these petty squabbles. That's not a book spoiler, but I think Gaiman said something to that effect in an interview at some point.

e: and while there are certainly many Jews in America, Jesus is the one getting all the publicity over here for the most part.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Locked-in Syndrome is basically everyone's worst nightmare about death: that we will be eternally aware of the absence of everything.

After a few million years you'd probably get used to it. Or your consciousness would just shut down. Or give you endless lucid dreams.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

That's assuming that the metaphysics of death work like the mortal world. It could be a novel experience forever.

It turns out that "Hell is other people" was wildly inaccurate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

I expect she gets nothing when a company buys millions of its own books to propel a product onto the bestseller lists.

Don't be silly, what kind of insane people would do that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Caufman posted:

Minus the tub lights, though.

I'd take eternal darkness over eternally seeing the interior of your prison. At least you can hallucinate in darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KilGrey posted:

One of my favorite moments in the last episode was when Bilquis walked up to Tech Boy and started rubbing up on him and he reacted like a scared Goon and had no idea what to do. Pretty much exactly how you'd expect an internet nerd to react.

I took that to be a play on the old cyberpunk trope of bleeding edge tech boys having a snobbish disdain for "meatspace"

Didn't he make some snarky comment about how that wouldn't work on him?