Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

Lmao guys episode 5,6 and 7 leaked already. If you want anything AT All to happen before episode 8 I have some bad news for you.

I really don't care if "things happen" as long as what's on screen continues to be entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The "war" in the book was like 1 page long and was not at all the driving thrust of the plot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know that Guns and Roses had to pay an absurd amount of money to cover that song

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually thought that episode was good :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it's like there's a [SCENE MISSING] there, not sure what the intended reading is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does it seem like generally the people happy with the show are book readers? I know in my case, knowing that the over arching plot is a bit of a wet fart makes it easier for me to just enjoy the moment to moment spectacle.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a book reader, and I don't really give a gently caress about the overarching plot. The weird atmosphere and smaller stories are always what I've enjoyed about this show.

Hell yeah. At least they made Sam Black Crow wayyyyyyy less cringey than she was in the book, though it was funny that they gave a visual nod to the fact she's a Slam Poet.

I also really enjoyed the scenes where Wednesday tries to seduce the Muslim guy, and the Sodom and Gomorrah bit was hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oasx posted:

I read the book many years and ago but honestly the only thing I can remember about it was that I really hated the ending.

I didn't hate it but it was very much "that's it? THAT'S IT???"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think most of his stuff has decent endings, especially Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Though I'm realizing right this moment that I can't recall how Neverwhere ends at all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gaiman and Stephenson both write terrible loving endings to otherwise competent to good works. Neil, Neal. Hmm are they brothers?

Stephenson has been getting better, The Baroque Cycle had a phenomenal last 100 pages and it ends just the right way. REAMDE is not his best novel but the ending is fine, despite the rather hilarious Magical Mountain Lion. But woof, Snow Crash and The Diamond Age had terrible endings, especially the latter where the novel literally just skips over a bunch of really cool events as if he was on deadline and told "finish it today"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seveneves is such a maddening book, it has some good parts but also has hundreds of pages of boring poo poo and yeah the ending is terrible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Luckily his new one sounds really good, fingers crossed

Oh and Anathem had a pretty drat great ending

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat yah that episode owned

Lou Reed's jacket lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way Jones slips so casually between accents is loving incredible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JustinMorgan posted:

Wait, I'm dumb. Who was Columbia supposed to be?

The "We Can Do It" woman, presumably she got a huge chunk of the faith from the war effort

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

I think he upgraded when that guy gave the computer program freedom to create on it's own.

"How the gently caress is that an upgrade?" :j:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Telephone Boy was talking to someone else, otherwise why even keep it ambiguous?

The musical numbers were all straight bangers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yep, Odin literally called them Brok and Sindri, the latter being the one at the mall

I missed the name of the rune guy, was it Ymir?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New theory: Shadow is Kratos

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Columbia as in "district of"

Columbia as in "feminized version of Columbus"

Columbia is Literally America, which only makes me wonder where the hell she is in the modern timeline

When she did that one song though I was thinking "was this originally written for Chenoweth?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
20 years later and I'm still shaking my drat head that Gaiman thought "Low-Key Lyesmith" was clever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno, in my experience, the sorts of people who read Gaiman 20+ years ago are definitely the sort who have heard of the extremely obscure gods Odin and Loki

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked it. Kali is pretty cool.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

I just don't get the complaining about this show in this thread. How many of you, before this episode, knew any version of the Buile Shuibhne? There is so much mythology and social commentary on this show but apparently there's not enough explosions or some poo poo?

I just don't understand y'all sometimes.

Yeah. And people keep saying they love Mad Sweeney, but then hate an episode where we get to see his awesome and tragic backstory?

:confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's best to think of the show as a tone poem, not a narrative. And in that way, this season has been fantastic. I'd even say I prefer this season to the first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rapeface posted:

guys, do you even know this bad thing was based on a good thing?

I mean are you really saying that the Mad Sweeney flashbacks, specifically, were bad and not really cool?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Modern Czernobog was born in the ashes of Chernobyl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

goodposter posted:

Has a show ever gone to poo poo harder than this one between S1 and S2?

Heroes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly though, it's so weird to me to hear people criticize this season for being a meandering mess where nothing of import happens. I mean season 1 was literally exactly the same.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really liked the finale :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The whole intro was great, Crispin Glover is great

I'm actually glad tech boy is back but also not sure what his rebranding was supposed to be about. If the surface reading is intended then he's just a copy or appendage of World now, which has weird book spoiler implications. if he's now just another manifestation of Loki then that actually makes sense because World is just causing chaos now, presumably so that Odin can "save" humanity and accomplish the "god/devil two man con"

Whatever's going on with Mr. Nancy and Ibis is very interesting

"Check, motherfucker" lmao

Bilquis continues to be the only outright waste of time imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

I thought Tech Boy was just a face Media was wearing.

Nah it was implied to be World, "I can be in two places at once"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Anansi Boys is sooooo much better than AG anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, I liked season 2 but no glover and no Jones is a hard fuckin sell

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

Wow. So the people who have been fired are all brown and/or queer.

gently caress this show, it's now under boycott in my home.

Neither the Djinn nor the cab driver were actually gay. Edit: The actors, I mean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo that guy is like a real life Sacha Baron Cohen character lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Orlando Jones is making your show better by being a bit of a jerk, let him be a jerk

I can't even imagine he was actually doing anything worth getting fired anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:psyduck:

Jesus tapdancing Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

counterfeitsaint posted:

Fire everyone and make Orlando Jones the new showrunner.

In fact, cancel American Gods and lets just have the Mr. Nancy show featuring Mr. Wednesday because thats where all the good poo poo is.

They actually could do this, they could just call it Anansi Boys and pretend it's a new property to distance themselves from whatever the gently caress is going on with AG

Edit: wouldn't it be funny if Jones and Gaiman end up going to Netflix with this haha