Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It started out kind of weird and I don't really know where it is going, but it's pretty cool so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why doesn't Odin have any ravens?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think it's a spoiler, it's pretty obvious. "What's today, Wednesday? It's my day!"

Wednesday > Wodensday > Woden > Odin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I find it hard to believe that a "huge percentage" of the population has never heard of the meanings behind the days of the week. I've never read the books, I didn't learn anything about this show beforehand and I never looked up who plays any of the characters and I got it as soon as he said it was his day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

:stare:

A huge percentage of the population doesn't give a poo poo about the days of the week and doesn't bother to learn about it. What loving bubble do you live in?

You know why the OP asked us to lay off the book talk? Because of arguments like this. I don't even give a poo poo that I know what I know; in fact, knowing makes this show a bit cooler for me. But how am I supposed to ignore a conceited-rear end remark like that?

My God.

What does this have to do with book talk? I've never read the book. This is why people should keep all book spoilers out of the thread. I took something from the show and made a prediction just like what happens in every TVIV thread. No one ever uses spoiler tags for what they think is going to happen.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 1, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Aardark posted:

My word, things like that are obvious to you? You must be quite smart.

It's not even an obscure fact. It's one of the first things listed on the Wikipedia page for any of the days of the week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry if you guys couldn't figure it out. Like I said, I've never read the books, and I knew what he meant. I don't know if it's some big book spoiler, I'm just mentioning things I've noticed from watching the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've never researched norse mythology, but at several points during my school years someone would bring up that the days of the week are named after old norse gods because it's a fun fact that pops up literally everywhere. I don't even know if that's what he really is, but book spoilers people made sure to pop in and talk about it anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

It's really awesome how when I go "this is a spoiler" people decide to make it loving inescapable by just talking openly about how obvious it is

Then don't bring it up. Don't discuss the book in the thread like the OP asked. If someone says "this is a spoiler by the way, you should spoiler tag this" every time someone talks about something from the show, it's going to get pretty annoying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

I didn't bring it up and I wasn't talking about the book, what the gently caress are you talking about? Asking someone to tag untagged book discussion is "annoying"? Who gives a poo poo?

Read my post again. Telling people who haven't read the books to tag their post because they don't know it's a book spoiler is annoying and, get this, a spoiler.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

Shut the gently caress up dude, you didn't even read the post I was responding to.

Sorry, I was referring to all the posts quoting me and bitching at me for a thing I got from watching the show. But anyway, someone should probably make a separate book spoilers thread so us non book readers can enjoy and talk about this show.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Golli posted:

Can we please move on past the spoiler slapfight?

I read the book a long time ago.
I didn't know it was a potential spoiler. See above, I read the book a long time ago, so I could be wrong.
It took me 1 minute to edit my post. It really didn't hurt me at all to do so.

To recap: Right now, all we know from the show is:

Some Norsemen landed in America, got stuck.
    Bargained with the wind to get unstuck.
    Centuries later, our hero meets a mysterious old guy that says "Wednesday (pronounced Winds-day)" is his day.

Perhaps the rest of the season will shed some more light on whether this is just a coincidence.

Thus my dissatisfaction with the heavy reliance on promotional material and book readership to generate interest.

It wasn't a wind god, it was a war god. That's why they fought each other so he would give them wind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it was just the indigenous people of that land telling the vikings not to step foot off the beach.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why does she have tiny little baby hands at the end there?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really liked Anansi being a mixture of the old version of the god, a tarantula, and a modern man in a suit. I guess I won't comment on what I think about Stomare's character because everyone got upset last time. It's a bit frustrating that it goes so deep into one part of the story but we only get tiny snippets of other people. I'm not really interested in whatever the hell Bilquis or whoever is doing. But I want to know more about Anansi and Gillian Anderson's character.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

When they are driving there is a raven's shadow on top of the car

Yes but I've heard that all people are stupid and could never make that connection.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I agree. I think we get the point. She eats people with her vagina, we don't need to see anymore. Move on with her story.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's not vore you loving idiot it's unbirthing. jesus christ do you even know the difference between a mouth and a vagina?

They both have teeth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

precision posted:

Haven't spent much time in the deep South, eh? :j:

I get most of my anatomical information from Scream Queens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does he start the thunder storm? I figured it was just to drive home "we're going to find Thor" after the hammer reference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really want to see a scene where some neo nazi is in prison praying to thor with his cardboard sword and hammer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Was that Anubis' coming to America story or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had to unfollow Bryan Fuller on Twitter because he sends about 100 tweets all at once every Sunday.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

Watched my first gay sex scene and it involved a genie

It wasn't my first because my friend made me watch Burning Palms one time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crow Jane posted:

Did I miss a dick in the first episode?

The first guy the vagina lady eats has his dick out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That was ok but the same cliffhanger two weeks in a row? Come on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm glad Dane Cook is dead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How can you miss that a guy with a dog steps into the road, the car stops in front of the dog (so it clearly didn't die) and then Anubis stands up? He was the dog. He shows up because he just found where Laura was.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh poo poo, I didn't notice all those ravens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

Does bug spray really get you high?

edit: Asking for a friend.

Maybe you'll get high for a bit from the oxygen deprivation before you die.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Goons are bad at connecting the dots.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, she didn't look like she got high at all when she leaped out of the hot tub after nearly dying.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh, I see you have a hot tub. Do you mind if I huff some bug spray in there real quick before we do this annihilation?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

Does she though? Her arc didn't mention it explicitly. She got yanked away from Anubis, 2 eps back when he dug it up, I thought it looked like the coin had burned through not only the coffin lid, but into the pillow as well.

Not doubting, just wondering what hints I missed in the text.

Yeah, that seems a bit weird. Maybe when it burned through her, some luck rubbed off and dragged her back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Javid posted:

Leaving a TV on for a cat is a pretty common thing.

Leaving the TV on for a dog is a thing. Cats don't really give a poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

So he thinks if it was written as someone other than a straight white guy the new gods would be the conservative boogeymen?

Does he think the new gods are supposed to be the good guys???

Pretty sure that was written by a teenage girl, based on the Mary Sue added in at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Watching it again, it seems a bit confusing. The bison god kills the leader of the mammoth tribe. Then the bison people offer livers(?) to that one guy, but he knocks them to the ground. The bison person signals to shoot that guy with arrows. but then one of the mammoth ladies picks up the liver bundle and offers it to the children. Or was that just an older child?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Mr world is surely the internet? The whole wank face thing for example.

I think he is the personification of all the tinfoil hat people who think the government is watching their every move. They all believe this one thing is happening and they ended up spawning the thing they fear in Mr World.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had to unfollow him because he tweets details of episodes that haven't aired yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He is 74 though.