Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

1stGear posted:

Even smart people have real dumb ideas frequently. The important part is that they listened to someone else and realized their idea was dumb.

Exactly. No writer bats a thousand on his own. They don't even bat .300 on their own. Writing is often a collaborative process; even if you're writing a novel, you've got editors, you've got beta readers, you might have an agent and/or a manager offering advice, and that's only a problem if you can't tell good advice from bad. Filters make bad ideas good and good ideas better, and that's the way it's worked since people first started telling stories.

The flip side of this—being so powerful and singular that nobody knows how to say "no" to you—is Aaron Sorkin and George Lucas.

Fuller and Green thought something made sense from a character perspective. Gaiman explained, very clearly (and yes, forcefully), why it didn't make sense. Fuller and Green agreed and came up with something better that honored the spirit of what they wanted to do without desecrating Gaiman's characters. That's the creative process working as intended.

There will be other bad ideas that you will never know about because most of them will be stamped out before they make it to screen, because that is the way it works on every show you like. If you start to feel like more lovely ideas are making it to the screen than good ideas, then we can talk. Until then, there are plenty of other things that are actually worth being scared of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Cojawfee posted:

I find it hard to believe that a "huge percentage" of the population has never heard of the meanings behind the days of the week.

:stare:

A huge percentage of the population doesn't give a poo poo about the days of the week and doesn't bother to learn about it. What loving bubble do you live in?

You know why the OP asked us to lay off the book talk? Because of arguments like this. I don't even give a poo poo that I know what I know; in fact, knowing makes this show a bit cooler for me. But how am I supposed to ignore a conceited-rear end remark like that?

My God.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Ffffffffffffffffffff. Now you've done it. I've already seen other threads recently get derailed by a "HOW GOOD IS AGENTS OF SHIELD REALLY" conversation, let's not make this another.

Edit: gently caress it's too late just in-between when I started this post and finished. God. drat. It.

Look, Longbaugh, I know it's hard to see it up there in that ivory tower of yours but we need to remember that in the midst of this fascinating, impressionistic riff on a beloved shaggy-dog novel, nobody is asking the hard questions about Agents of SHIELD.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Steve Yun posted:

Public service announcement: Starz/Amazon has apparently posted the next episode

If I had to guess, people are going to be talking about this episode's opening scene for a loving WHILE. Holy poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo they release it early? Do you know if Amazon Starz subscribers get it?

They do.