Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also, the series starts with Odin's first worshippers in America... :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Snak posted:

Due to the way Gods work in American Gods, Budai is probably the same being as Buddha, even though they are different in real life.

Edit: Actually, probably not, it's probably more like what's going on with Jesus.

In India maybe...I imagine the eponymous American God would be a blend.

Like, that wasn't the ~real~ Vulcan who Wednesday killed, but a version of him which had been brought to America by the factory workers, right?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

Was the baby Jesus with that Virgin Mary a separate person, or do you think it's all one person? Like because her concept is "Mary with Jesus" she permanently has a baby attached to her arm.

Yeah, it was the Madonna.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Jeoh posted:

Vulcan, God of Rocketry :science:

Please please please let S2 have a faded-glory Rocket God who got his rocks off in the 50s and 60s killing astronauts...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

McSpanky posted:

I assumed that's what the curse was for as well, to prevent Vulcan from immediately resurrecting due to all his works being out there with his worship base in full force. I mean if killing a god was just as easy as slaying them with that sword then Odin had all three of them right there at the Easter party, there has to be more to it.

They made a big deal of how Vulcan pledged to Odin, even if he was just paying lip-service, contracts between gods seem to have some binding effect. Maybe accepting Odin as overlord is what allowed Vulcan to be slayed by him: joining his pantheon made him a subject to Odin's rules?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

bewilderment posted:

You need sacrifice and ritual to create and power a god. Most 'fandoms' would probably count except they don't have enough critical mass. The tension is between the old gods who have not that many followers but have genuine belief and ritual, and the new ones who have diffused belief amongst a bunch of people but still have the ritual in a sense.

I don't think there were enough people to be 'devoted' to the printing press - and with the Bible being one of the first things created, a lot of it probably just got assigned to the Abrahamic god.

I put forth the 'god of the Atom' as someone who could feasibly be a new god, and electricity or steam might conceivably be that too if there was sufficient mysticism about them back in the day. There would absolutely 100% positively be a god of railroads because you have plenty of sacrifice and ritual there.

America's most powerful God has to be Fast Food: not only is it ritualized and literally worshipped with shrines and idols, but between diabetes, heart disease, and everything else it certainly has the largest death toll.

The runner up would be the Automobile: a close second in the sacrifice race. Big Tobacco is definitely high on the list.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SpookyLizard posted:

My mind was thoroughly blown when i learned that nicky sobotka was Mad sweeney

I think this may have even been mentioned a few dozen pages ago, but it hit me like :psypop: all over again!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

EvilJay posted:

Season 2 of The Wire I HATED the first time I watched it. After watching it a second time and more, it's absolutely my favorite season of the show overall.

McNulty is kind of a lovely person.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

you haven't lived till you've held a blot in honor of the hanged god

My best CK2 game saw Ragnar Ragnarsson take over all of Europe and reform Norse paganism, eventually sacrificing the Pope to the old gods. It had been quite the Holy War: many a nobles' daughter joined the Pope at the months-long festival which ended with around 50 executions.
:black101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pistol_Pete posted:

The one thing in this show that really creeped me out was Laura's exchange with Anubis:

Anubis: "... there will be darkness."

Laura: "will there be peace?"

Anubis: "There will be darkness."

Darkness but no peace. It implied to me that Laura would be spending eternity trapped in the equivalent of a sensory deprivation tank, completely isolated except for her own thoughts and regrets. Can't blame her for being reluctant to go for that option.

Locked-in Syndrome is basically everyone's worst nightmare about death: that we will be eternally aware of the absence of everything.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

showbiz_liz posted:

Fuller was also kicked off of his own show Dead Like Me after a mere six episodes over 'creative differences.' Not to mention Star Trek, which no way was that only about budget/timelines and nothing else.

Reading between the lines of various interviews etc I've read from various people, he seems like a guy who cast and crew absolutely love to work with and networks really kinda hate, because he has A Vision and fights like hell to achieve it, executives and budgets and marketability be damned. And then keeps getting critical acclaim and networks keep seeing dollar signs and they somehow forget that dude is notorious for not really caring about dollar signs.

Maybe netflix will peel off a couple ten millions from that $9B programming budget for 2018 to just let him do whatever because, I mean, what are they spending it on?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Vegetable posted:

To be honest I think the concept and story of American Gods is cool enough that somebody else could walk in and do a good job. Plus Fuller already set up a look for the whole show. I'd love somebody sensible to come in and get the same budget and improve on some of the more frustrating things about Fuller's execution.

I'm reminded of how amazing the first episode of Boardwalk Empire was and how terrible the rest of it was in comparison...I doubt anyone can Sussmayr this to completion.

Steve Yun posted:

I am a huge fan of Fuller and I still lolol at anyone defending him asking for $10 million per episode.

How does this break down, because they were making BSG for $1M/ep and that was mostly sfx shots and a cast the size of a small city. I know there are more overhead costs and digital royalties and all that these days, but even GoT's biggest episodes :airquote: only :airquote: cost $10 million each.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

counterfeitsaint posted:

Please say you're loving with the thread because you apparently really hate us.

Making that kind of distinction is so 2015

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/it-looks-like-hbo-damon-lindelof-watchmen-series-is-actually-happening.html

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Seems like Fuller had a peak experience with Hannibal: he got to do essentially what he wanted while surrounded by actors he really enjoyed working with. Unfortunately, that show took an amazing amount of effort and sacrifice to realize, and it doesn't seem like he's willing to make those concessions right now.

Steve Yun posted:

Lol if you don't think walking after asking for $10 million an episode for a show with 774,000 viewers isn't diva behavior

Yeah, that's what? $7.5M USD in subscriptions if you are being generous? Ten million seems like a big ask for the season, much less an episode. How many CGI dragons did he need? :confused:

Ah well, shame, but it's not like if you enjoy his visual/artistic style you wont flit off to his next project. I know I'll be watching whatever this Anne Rice honeypot is... :tviv:

edit: actually, after thinking on it for a minute, asking for $10M sounds like he was asking to get let go so he could go work on this vampire thing. :drac:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 12, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

try the new taco place posted:

Bryan Fuller was fired from a show I didn’t know existed by a network I didn’t know was starting while I was catching up on this thread

:allears:

Share with the class, now...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It will all be worth it for the bisexual Ent orgy scene that goes on for fourteen fifty two minutes of runtime. :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Welp, see you guys for the Vampire thing or whatever. :wave:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He just needs to get some streaming service to give him a blank check for the prestige.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
You can make anything look good in a trailer (see the long trailer for The Day the Earth Stood Still remake as an example), so I’m still hedging my bets. The productions sounds like a clusterfuck and shows rarely fare better after losing so much talent (both in front of and behind the lens)...

...but that looked better than I ever expected.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m probably gonna do what I did with S1. Wait for the whole season to be out and buy a month of Starz on Amazon.

Unless it ends up being rear end

It’s probably gonna be rear end.

:ssh:

You can do this the month that the last 4 episodes air...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

April posted:

Off-topic, but why does "I'm" look like that? I'm seeing the gibberish instead of an apostrophe in some posts in different threads, but not others, so I don't think it's my browser settings. Sorry for the derail, but it's bugging me.

On-topic: As long as Ian McShane is Wednesday, and Ricky Whittle is Shadow, I'm in. And as long as Mad Sweeney is spewing profanity, of course. I could listen to that all day.

I'm seeing it too: I assume some phone update hosed a bunch of people's system character settings. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Eh, I'm not sure we can entirely blame the networks anymore. :shrug:

Fuller does amazing work and is an incredible auteur who knows how to pick his team and find talent, but I think he will never find success with a traditional network. Hopefully Netflix or Amazon will just give him $50M, no strings attached, out of their combined $18 billion 2019 programming budget for the slew of awards he will inevitably win on their behalf.
:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

JawnV6 posted:

but what about the other half of the season

:downsrim: