Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I should finish my lunatic playthru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This one for GBA? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_(video_game)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah thats the one. the other gba ones good too but that ones better imo

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
Path of Radiance for Gamecube is also really good and leads into Radiant Dawn for Wii which has a very legit difficulty. Awakening couldn't hold my attention at all, the grinding+ shipping tropes were a turnoff. i haven't tried fates but i'm kind of interested in the weirdness of this new one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fiber posted:

Path of Radiance for Gamecube is also really good and leads into Radiant Dawn for Wii which has a very legit difficulty. Awakening couldn't hold my attention at all, the grinding+ shipping tropes were a turnoff. i haven't tried fates but i'm kind of interested in the weirdness of this new one

Fates: Conquest is awakening style mechanics with the good structure of just maps in a row and really good map/enemy design. Id check it out if you liked the gamecbe game

Dec 26, 2012

fiber posted:

i never finished fates but it's better for sure

Dec 26, 2012

oh drat a less lovely translation patch came out for tear ring saga in december

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I see a lot of 'fire emblem n00bs' posting in this thread, so here's a helpful reference guide, from me, ArmorSlayer616.

Official Fire Emblem Tier Ranking
DO NOT STEAL

The Best Ones
FE7 (Fire Emblem): Super charming writing, wonderful animations, good level design. Some of the mechanics feel a little clunky in light of later games (supports being the worst offender), but the game still holds up extremely well.
FE9 (Path of Radiance): My personal favorite. Almost flawless.

Recommended
FE4 (聖戦の系譜, 'Genealogy of the Holy War'): Older and clunkier than FE7, which hurts it, but the most distinctive-feeling FE I've played. The only FE I'd really recommend avoiding 'spoilers' for, since the plot does a very cool thing.
FE10 (Radiant Dawn): The longest Fire Emblem game... and a little too long for its own good. Still a super memorable experience. (Please do not play this without playing Path of Radiance first.)
Fire Emblem: Fates: Conquest: The most mechanically perfect FE I've played. The map designers hit it completely out of the park; pity the writers were on holiday!

OK
FE8 (Sacred Seals): Like FE7, but a little worse, and with optional grinding. Try the reverse recruitment hack!
FE13 (Awakening): OK writing, OK maps, grinding. Core mechanics are two steps forward, one step back. Also, grinding.
Birthright: I haven't actually played this one, but from what I've seen, it's basically on par with Awakening. Maybe a little easier.

Revelations
Do not play Fire Emblem: Revelations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Valentia looks like it's going to be a lot like Awakening/Birthright, but I'll probably buy it anyway.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*I see "reverse recruitment hack " and my eyes glaze over and i start chuckling and mumbling under my breath about gender swap gas until the McDonald's drive thru attendant calls the police*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Valentia looks like it's going to be a lot like Awakening/Birthright, but I'll probably buy it anyway.

It seems like it's more removed even from this, because of its focus on dungeon crawling and party development. Like apparently your party is always small and a lot of the units start in like a villager style equivalent and you can grow it how you want from there. Which sounds cool. I'll be starting it tomorrow and providing some hot takes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I actually like Revelations more than Birthright. I think Birthright might be the worst FE I've played

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

It seems like it's more removed even from this, because of its focus on dungeon crawling and party development. Like apparently your party is always small and a lot of the units start in like a villager style equivalent and you can grow it how you want from there. Which sounds cool. I'll be starting it tomorrow and providing some hot takes

Yeah, I guess I just meant it was similar to Awakening/etc in terms of the grinding and anime shipping and so on. Agreed its gameplay does sound pretty unique.

In Training posted:

Also I actually like Revelations more than Birthright. I think Birthright might be the worst FE I've played

Just because it was too simple/boring, or...?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
where is thracia 776 on your tier list

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, I guess I just meant it was similar to Awakening/etc in terms of the grinding and anime shipping and so on. Agreed its gameplay does sound pretty unique.

Just because it was too simple/boring, or...?

Yeah. At least revelations had novel and weird map designs. It was a bummer that the party additions were all imbalanced and poorly meted out, but as a Romhacky kinda game it's a cool addition to Conquest.

Dec 26, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

where is thracia 776 on your tier list

thracia owns in a lot of ways but has some real dumb poo poo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PleasingFungus posted:

Valentia has supports and base conversatons but there's no marriage/breeding or pair up or any of that poo poo and it seems like most of the romantic relationships are predetermined

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been doing a lot of Vita gaming (parasite eve II, shiren the wanderer, wild arms) and swapping back to 3ds for this game makes me miss that drat fine Vita hardware

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Vita owns as a piece of hardware but the one series I've been playing for like 150 hours combined has a PS3 version and an upcoming definite PC port. Plus the 3DS just lets me buy a memory card from Amazon if I wanna go digital and not be extorted by proprietary BS.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah the vita memory stick is high octane bullshit and it's also somehow even less comfortable to hold than the new 3ds xl without grips.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
nice it has arrived

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first thing you do when you get to play this game is walk around a 3D space with camerra control...this is powerful

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Yeah the vita memory stick is high octane bullshit and it's also somehow even less comfortable to hold than the new 3ds xl without grips.

I got used to it eventually but my first thought when I held my vita was basically how bad I hosed up because of the grip, lol.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm really looking forward to the dungeons and towns and stuff. It's probably heretical but I like things that break up tactical battles otherwise I get burned out halfway through most SRPGs even though I love them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hells yes, this game has achievements! I like that ninty is like 15 years late on this but now every game is slowly starting to have them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the village stuff, walking around gossiping with villagers is cool and it makes recruiting people make more sense. ALso in the tutorial village, right before you leave, half of the starting party is missable if you dont talk to them right before the chapter starts which is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Leveled up and got one point in HP and one point in Luck. Here's to 40 more hours of lovely stat rolls :cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like that your entire starting squad of aruond 5 people is all Villagers...already pulled out the pen and paper to take notes on what classes i want, who seems optimal for which role, etc.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

01011001 posted:

thracia owns in a lot of ways but has some real dumb poo poo

that th one where staves can miss? thats some real bullshit

fiber
Nov 18, 2012

In Training posted:

I've been doing a lot of Vita gaming (parasite eve II, shiren the wanderer, wild arms) and swapping back to 3ds for this game makes me miss that drat fine Vita hardware

What do you think about Shiren? It bums me out that they haven't either been able or inclined to balance any of the english ones since the original to be a proper roguelike. The Wii one and the Vita both have a main campaign that is balanced around you grinding weapons and armor up over multiple attempts, the lategame enemies just do too much damage. It's a shame, I still enjoyed the hell out of the Vita one but I hate that for an actual Level 1/No Items playthrough being possible you have to stick to postgame dungeons.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

I really like that your entire starting squad of aruond 5 people is all Villagers...already pulled out the pen and paper to take notes on what classes i want, who seems optimal for which role, etc.

I already changed them all on the first dungeon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I already changed them all on the first dungeon

And missed out on level growth...God you are such a noob.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

When are you supposed to promote people in this one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're not limited by items anymore and there's no chapters so just max out everybody all the time is my plan.

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

that th one where staves can miss? thats some real bullshit

yeah there's a miss chance based on skill i think? it's actually good in some weird cases because it doesn't use the staff but still raises weapon rank based on staff level. also sometimes you double-use staves which is super annoying

status staves always work if the user's magic is better than the target and the status lasts all map so if you get hit by sleep you can pretty much get hosed unless you brought a restore

also hit is limited to 1 - 99% but the rng is totally hosed up so you can get hit like 4 times in a row at 1%

oh and horse guys have to dismount inside which means they have to use swords so you don't have any lance users on castle maps, it's loving stupid

Dec 26, 2012

also stats cap at 20 post-promotion too so everyone who doesn't completely suck poo poo ends up with maxed out speed and will still get hit by things because max 60 evade is poo poo

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

In Training posted:

Oh hells yes, this game has achievements! I like that ninty is like 15 years late on this but now every game is slowly starting to have them

I'm a terrain pro :smugdog:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
This game is good and fun. Here's something I figured out just now: you can drink from the fountains until they run dry, they're not single serving.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

don't grind in awakening imo you don't need to hell i eneded up with a super powered lucina just playing the game normally and then i got morgan who was also super powered playing it normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

and birthright was way worse than awakening

• Locked thread