Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

and birthright was way worse than awakening

yeah, awakening had a cliched but competant story backed-up by a fantastic translation, birthright is just boring as hell on every front.

Conquest was the poo poo in terms of gameplay and while revalations had problems it had some nice map gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play more of this game but I have to finish wild arms first QQ

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I watched someone play this for awhile and it does look dope, so now I want to get it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
The turnwheel is such a good addition

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The open maps combined with the low growths and importance of terrain do interesting things. Namely that instead of having a god unit hold a chokepoint and kill stuff over and over it winds up being a lot of maneuvering or leaving out a tough guy in a forest to draw them into range of the rest of your army.

also genny is loving beastly does she ever learn an attack spell that isnt nosferatu?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
the combat animations in this game are so slick, holy poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

When are you supposed to promote people in this one

everything i've read says there is absolutely no reason to not promote as soon as you can.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

everything i've read says there is absolutely no reason to not promote as soon as you can.

It seems like stat growth is mildly abysmal and when you upgrade someone's class it doesn't add stats, it just moves their stats to a minimum value for that class. So if you exceed the minimum you gain nothing. You can level past and get more bonus stats but it doesn't really seem worth it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat the Undead Dragon at the Sea Shrine and got a fairly baller ring. Pretty cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The maps in this game are awful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm 6 and a half hours in and there has literally been a single map that wasn't a square with a bridge, or a square with no bridge

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

I'm 6 and a half hours in and there has literally been a single map that wasn't a square with a bridge, or a square with no bridge

Would I like this game if I liked Conquest but thought Birthright was garbage? It sounds like Birthright.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

Would I like this game if I liked Conquest but thought Birthright was garbage? It sounds like Birthright.

It's way worse than Birthright. Well, for the first time I can remember, I actually like the story (it's got a split protagonist thing and at a certain point you can choose who's story to advance next which is fun) but everything else is kinda bad. The maps suck, the class upgrade paths are gone (it's just a linear upgrade that's not restricted by an item), magic costs Health to use which is a weird wrinkle that barely ever matters, and they got rid of the weapon triangle so nobody feels different outside of how much DEF they have, so you can put them first and absorb more hits.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one funny thing is that Archers have absolutely absurd attack ranges so you can have a sniper use a bow from 6-7 spaces away and insta kill crit people all day. But the second enemies show up that can do that to me it's going to be awful.

Oh and I miss the tag team attack stuff, especially in Fates when Pair Up and standing next to each other had very different applications.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

basically everything they pulled from this old game is really good except they kept the same boring maps too. At least the mechanics, at least to me, make things interesting. using terrain is a lot more important so i guess you can play around where trees are and stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's got a classic fe feel in which that I got hosed out of several attacks that were supposed to be 80% accuracy and got really mad

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

It's got a classic fe feel in which that I got hosed out of several attacks that were supposed to be 80% accuracy and got really mad

I like to use the turnwheel to unfuck those

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The teleporting mages that can fly across the entire map and then one shot your back lline are annoying as poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Did I gently caress up by not recruiting those two Pegasus knights on the early map of Act 3 Celica route. Oops. Well, my other Pegasus knight in Alm's army are awful so maybe it's not a huge loss. The more I play of this game the more it makes me want to just play Radiant Dawn finally, or Fates for a 4th time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dragon enthusiast posted:

where is thracia 776 on your tier list

never played it, sorry :(

01011001 posted:

also hit is limited to 1 - 99% but the rng is totally hosed up so you can get hit like 4 times in a row at 1%

Plutonis posted:

you might have known this, but in most FE games, the displayed accuracy % is a lie. the game actually rolls twice and takes the average of the rolls when calculating hit chance, which means that an 80% hit chance is actually a (1 - 0.2^2 = ) 96% hit chance, and a 1% hit chance is actually a 0.01% hit chance. this is because human intuition is really bad about probability.

anyway, sounds like this game doesn't do that? what a weird thing to take out

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It definitely doesn't because 80%+ is usually guaranteed in the past but I miss those all the time and 50% is actually a move you can land so I think they're displaying an actually hit% in this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm deleting this from my 3DS because I've seen about 3 maps in the first 20 hours. I think I'll reinstall Conquest and play that again .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

never played it, sorry :(

you might have known this, but in most FE games, the displayed accuracy % is a lie. the game actually rolls twice and takes the average of the rolls when calculating hit chance, which means that an 80% hit chance is actually a (1 - 0.2^2 = ) 96% hit chance, and a 1% hit chance is actually a 0.01% hit chance. this is because human intuition is really bad about probability.

anyway, sounds like this game doesn't do that? what a weird thing to take out

they started doing that right after thracia lol

• Locked thread