Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
When I was playing Hong Kong I hit upon the idea that my runner had picked up an unflattering nickname after a mission went south. It paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
That reminds me, fun fact about naming your character: The character limit isn't actually 12.

It's 110.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kanfy posted:

That reminds me, fun fact about naming your character: The character limit isn't actually 12.

It's 110.

Magic :allears:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

LightWarden posted:

If you're going to be a Decker then you've got the Intelligence to make Drones your thing. You could be human but that's boring, so might as well be an elf lady. And if she's going big on computers and drones while operating out of Seattle then you might as well call her Amazon.

I vote for this but don't like the name as is. How about Amazon Prime instead?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like this to be quick and painless so I'm gonna vote for a Troll Shotgunner. I kinda like Draig for a lady's name.

Alternately, we could make full use of the character limit and come up with some kind of decking/computer related joke like filling the thing with ones and zeroes. There's gotta be someone tech-savvier in the audience though.

e: Should add I love this series of games to bits even if DMS happens to be a just a lovely example of what to do with the campaign creation tools.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 25, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

It's 110.
More like 10/10.

I'd like to see the face of my GM if someone told him that's his runner's name and demanded it be said in full every time. Of course if he was serious I'd bludgeon him to death with the rulebook. :allears:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Alternately, we could make full use of the character limit and come up with some kind of decking/computer related joke like filling the thing with ones and zeroes. There's gotta be someone tech-savvier in the audience though.

Oh, I'm sure someone could come up with something.

Which is exactly why I set the limit to 12. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know the wily ways of the people here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oooooh. Welp, there goes that idea. Sorry, can't read. Probably why I enjoy these games so much.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I think we can officially close the voting here. And so a result, we will be playing Xander77's character under a different name, the female elf decker who uses drones and is known only by her handle Amazon. Congratulations to LightWarden who got exactly what they wanted, meaning nobody else's vote really ended up meaning anything. The system works.

And I finally get to play the video game, so that's cool. Update probably tomorrow, maybe today if the stars align real well.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually considering trying an LP of Dead Man's Switch back in December, but it fell through. I do agree with pretty much everything that's been said about this game- it's not bad, great in some places, but Dragonfall blows it out of the water. I actually was going to use nearly the exact same character voted for here- female Elf Decker, but with more of a focus on Rifles over Drones. There's just too much content that's locked behind Decker powers to be anything but for at least one playthrough.

I'm also the worst kind of Shadowrun fan- never even touched the pen and paper game, since Shadowrun's reputation as being nearly impossible to DM for means no one wants to lose their sanity. I've also had back luck at finding an online game for it.

Someone asked about Adepts earlier. They are pretty bad in this game, but became unholy killbots in Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

But I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this, given how much I loved this game.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GoneRampant posted:

I was actually considering trying an LP of Dead Man's Switch back in December, but it fell through. I do agree with pretty much everything that's been said about this game- it's not bad, great in some places, but Dragonfall blows it out of the water. I actually was going to use nearly the exact same character voted for here- female Elf Decker, but with more of a focus on Rifles over Drones. There's just too much content that's locked behind Decker powers to be anything but for at least one playthrough.

I'm also the worst kind of Shadowrun fan- never even touched the pen and paper game, since Shadowrun's reputation as being nearly impossible to DM for means no one wants to lose their sanity. I've also had back luck at finding an online game for it.

Someone asked about Adepts earlier. They are pretty bad in this game, but became unholy killbots in Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

But I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this, given how much I loved this game.

Shadowrun is impossible to DM in the same way that 3rd Edition D&D is impossible to DM. The fundamental math does not work, statting up an adversary exactly as you would a PC is a tremendous waste of time, combat exists in a binary state between "you do nothing" and "you one-shot them," and entire subsystems are tragically busted in and of themselves, let alone where they interact with the main engine.

Much like 3rd Edition D&D, the secret to being a good DM is to figure out how many dice a Vaguely Challenging enemy is and throw that number of dice when appropriate and consider the mechanical side of things settled.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

I actually was going to use nearly the exact same character voted for here- female Elf Decker, but with more of a focus on Rifles over Drones. There's just too much content that's locked behind Decker powers to be anything but for at least one playthrough.

I did predict that the character would end up being female and a drone-user, but I was actually a little surprised about the popularity of elves since everyone always seems to complain that they're the worst. I was about 70% sure we'd end up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.

I guess when you have a setting where pretty much everybody is a dick, you might as well be a decent-looking one.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 25, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ze Pollack posted:

statting up an adversary exactly as you would a PC is a tremendous waste of time
Isn't that true for pretty much every single system though? Not that I'm disagreeing. The one hit kill crap isn't improved if you're in a group of chronic powergamers and minmaxers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You don't stat adversaries in SR tabletop, you say "he has 12 dice because he's the run boss" and move on. Or you just have another squad of faceless security guards burst into the room, it's not big deal.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Kanfy posted:

It's 110.

You're telling us this now?

I'm changing my name vote to 'In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice
that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just
remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages
that you've had."'

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd like this to be quick and painless so I'm gonna vote for a Troll Shotgunner. I kinda like Draig for a lady's name.

e: Should add I love this series of games to bits even if DMS happens to be a just a lovely example of what to do with the campaign creation tools.

I mean, if one wants to go with a techy name that doesn't blow up the character limit, one could always go with a hex word. I'm sure 0xA1337E1F would have gone over great on Shadowland.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
{ name: null }

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Poil posted:

More like 10/10.

I'd like to see the face of my GM if someone told him that's his runner's name and demanded it be said in full every time. Of course if he was serious I'd bludgeon him to death with the rulebook. :allears:

No need, just throw him into situations where someone needs to communicate some vital information to him quickly.

"Hey Shibba-dibba-ding-dong-bam-boom-bam-boom-groop-broop-bon-bada-bon-bada-bon-shalalalalalala-beep-beep, watch out for that grena—oh. Oh dear. Too late. Hey Eddie, could you help me wipe these fragments of Shibba-dibba-ding-dong-bam-boom-bam-boom-groop-broop-bon-bada-bon-bada-bon-shalalalalalala-beep-beep off my armor?"

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I usually go with the handles from the movie Hackers as my Decker Shadowrun handle. ZeroCool, AcidBurn etc...

Either that or LongshoremanX

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kanfy posted:

I was about 70% sure we'd up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.

I just wanted a hacker that hacked things by slamming their deck through the screen.
Also to try and live up to the flavor text's race description. Because, "Heavy prejudice against them has led people to think trolls have lowered intelligence, but in reality there is no proof to this" made me laugh so hard when it was immediately followed by that dismal int cap.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kanfy posted:

I did predict that the character would end up being female and a drone-user, but I was actually a little surprised about the popularity of elves since everyone always seems to complain that they're the worst. I was about 70% sure we'd up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.

I guess when you have a setting where pretty much everybody is a dick, you might as well be a decent-looking one.

Elves also get a bonus to Charisma. Since talking is a huge thing in these games, that tends to make them a popular race.

That and, IMO, they're the best race for most builds.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GoneRampant posted:

Elves also get a bonus to Charisma. Since talking is a huge thing in these games, that tends to make them a popular race.

Well, elves get a "bonus" to Charisma. Unless I completely misunderstand things, what happens (at least with this "new" Shadowrun trilogy) is that you start with one more point of Charisma than normal. So if you're building a character with a custom class, that means you get 2 Charisma instead of 1 to start with, meaning that you saved a grand total of 2 Karma. Alternatively, you can pick Human, and get 3 free Karma to allocate however you wish.

And it's not like you're going to hit the stat caps at 9 anyway.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GoneRampant posted:

In pnp they're also the best at being mages by far and the only non-human race that doesn't have any stat penalties or drawbacks in any way. Just lots of advantages. Naturally they're the second cheapest meta type to be too. Only human is cheaper since it's the base that costs nothing. Freaking dandelion eaters.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

TheMcD posted:

Well, elves get a "bonus" to Charisma. Unless I completely misunderstand things, what happens (at least with this "new" Shadowrun trilogy) is that you start with one more point of Charisma than normal. So if you're building a character with a custom class, that means you get 2 Charisma instead of 1 to start with, meaning that you saved a grand total of 2 Karma. Alternatively, you can pick Human, and get 3 free Karma to allocate however you wish.

And it's not like you're going to hit the stat caps at 9 anyway.

This is correct. It's also tempting to think that elves are best at guns because of the higher quickness cap but you'll never get up there. Especially not in Dead Man's Switch.

Edit:

Poil posted:

In pnp they're also the best at being mages by far and the only non-human race that doesn't have any stat penalties or drawbacks in any way. Just lots of advantages. Naturally they're the second cheapest meta type to be too. Only human is cheaper since it's the base that costs nothing. Freaking dandelion eaters.

Why is every fantasy game made by Elf Supremacists? I want to see just one game where a big ugly ogre is the best at everything.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 25, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tax Refund posted:

No need, just throw him into situations where someone needs to communicate some vital information to him quickly.

"Hey Shibba-dibba-ding-dong-bam-boom-bam-boom-groop-broop-bon-bada-bon-bada-bon-shalalalalalala-beep-beep, watch out for that grena—oh. Oh dear. Too late. Hey Eddie, could you help me wipe these fragments of Shibba-dibba-ding-dong-bam-boom-bam-boom-groop-broop-bon-bada-bon-bada-bon-shalalalalalala-beep-beep off my armor?"

Just have everyone immediately call them Shib, as it would go irl

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

Why is every fantasy game made by Elf Supremacists? I want to see just one game where a big ugly ogre is the best at everything.

Dwarves are actually the best mages, not elves, and you're not playing a troll right if you can't laugh off a railgun to the face and bench press a truck. Elves are just fast and good looking, which admittedly gets them a long way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cathode Raymond posted:

Why is every fantasy game made by Elf Supremacists?
It just makes it that much sweeter to murder them on sight. I suspect years of gaming have made me rather antielvistic and it's the one kind of racism I see absolutely nothing wrong with.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Dwarves are actually the best mages, not elves, and you're not playing a troll right if you can't laugh off a railgun to the face and bench press a truck. Elves are just fast and good looking, which admittedly gets them a long way.
Dwarves do get their +1 for drain rolls with all magic traditions but elves get a freaking +2 on a much more useful stat and you still have a ton of charisma based traditions to chose from. The only drawback is that dwarves are better at soaking damage and people are more prone to aim for a fancy pansy elf bastard.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Dwarves do get their +1 for drain rolls with all magic traditions but elves get a freaking +2 on a much more useful stat and you still have a ton of charisma based traditions to chose from. The only drawback is that dwarves are better at soaking damage and people are more prone to aim for a fancy pansy elf bastard.

Sorry, I meant in SRR. You're absolutely right about tabletop, letting elves take charisma traditions is crazy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Sorry, I meant in SRR. You're absolutely right about tabletop, letting elves take charisma traditions is crazy.
Oh, I thought you were also talking tabletop. Sorry. I was too prepared to argue against dwarf mage supremacy. :downs:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only fond memory I have of playing SR tabletop is that I had a human with maximum Edge, mediocre Pistols, and Astral Beacon. I flavored him as a BTL Junkie who thinks he's a character in an old western, but he's so impossibly, supernaturally lucky that not only does he get away with it, he lights op on the Astral Plane like a Christmas tree.

He got iced on our first run because a revolver's effective range of 60' isn't exactly helpful when there's a sniper on the other end of a canyon. I haven't really played with that GM since.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ah. Dick GMs. The worst kind.

the only kind :[

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Figures. Got a contact list so dead our only lead is from beyond the grave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kanfy posted:

I was about 70% sure we'd end up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.
I played all three games as a female troll, because my standard way of choosing a character is to go "what am I least likely to be able to be in other games?" Because variety is fun.

FoolyCharged posted:

I just wanted a hacker that hacked things by slamming their deck through the screen.
Also to try and live up to the flavor text's race description. Because, "Heavy prejudice against them has led people to think trolls have lowered intelligence, but in reality there is no proof to this" made me laugh so hard when it was immediately followed by that dismal int cap.
It's always a problem when they try to do racism/homophobia/etc. analogues in fantasy/sci-fi. You can't say it's blind prejudice when it's a hard fact as set down in the game rules.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This LP got me to pick this back up. I finished Dragonfall and Hong Kong, but never did get all the way through this one. Playing along with the LP, though I'm quite a ways away from the start now. Interested to see where you put your Kharma, I ended up rolling with rigging and rifles.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gonna lurk this.

[spoilers]Plays shadowrun in actuality does the krab[/spoiler]

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Kanfy posted:

but I was actually a little surprised about the popularity of elves since everyone always seems to complain that they're the worst.
Perhaps the most vocal of the elfphobic are in fact the actual elves.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I did predict that the character would end up being female and a drone-user, but I was actually a little surprised about the popularity of elves since everyone always seems to complain that they're the worst. I was about 70% sure we'd end up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.

Troll decker with a minigun is compleatly viable build at least in future expansions. Though i had to install cyberware up my rear end to do it as well just to get the STR reqs for the minigun. Cant remember if this one even had a minigun though. The 6 limit in decking isnt a big deal since decking isnt hard to require the 7 decking rig.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
I booted up this game again due to this, and started a Street Sam run through. No spoilers for late-game stuff but let's just say now I remember why I only played SR:R all the way through once. Still a solid game, but... I much prefer Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

This LP got me to pick this back up. I finished Dragonfall and Hong Kong, but never did get all the way through this one. Playing along with the LP, though I'm quite a ways away from the start now. Interested to see where you put your Kharma, I ended up rolling with rigging and rifles.

Most of our Karma's inevitably going to go to decking and drone stuff, though I'll probably skip ESP Control since it's not really needed. Maybe we'll dabble in some minor magic stuff at some point.

Iretep posted:

Troll decker with a minigun is compleatly viable build at least in future expansions. Though i had to install cyberware up my rear end to do it as well just to get the STR reqs for the minigun. Cant remember if this one even had a minigun though. The 6 limit in decking isnt a big deal since decking isnt hard to require the 7 decking rig.

Yeah, a troll Decker can get through all the games just fine. Being a troll Rigger is more actively shooting yourself in the foot since not having access to the top-end drone stuff hampers you more than not having the Fairlight Excalibur with a Decker.

Das Panzer posted:

I booted up this game again due to this, and started a Street Sam run through. No spoilers for late-game stuff but let's just say now I remember why I only played SR:R all the way through once. Still a solid game, but... I much prefer Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

I do too, but DMS is way less effort to LP not super long so I don't mind it that much.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 20, 2017

• Locked thread