Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

anilEhilated posted:

I'm fairly sure that bit about fast traveling to benches is a lie... Or did I miss something really useful and obvious?

It might be actually, now that I'm looking it up again. Info distribution for this game is low considering the low playerbase, and I beat the game at the "My dad works at Nintendo" phase of discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Haven't seen the video yet so I can't say whether this is what you're talking about, but you can "fast travel" over and above the ingame forms of fast travel in the sense that quitting and reloading will spawn you back at the last bench you rested at.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

This game was really good, my only issue would be the lack of a bench based fast travel when finishing up my run, primarily that damned mushroom man.
Also don't forget that you can talk to the stag beetle if you go to the same floor he's on, it has stuff to say about every stagway platform.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Actually you can overcharm by any number of notches, you just need to have at least one spare notch to cram the charm into. So if you want, you could cram a four notch charm into one notch. :eng101:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Einwand posted:

This game was really good, my only issue would be the lack of a bench based fast travel when finishing up my run, primarily that damned mushroom man.
Also don't forget that you can talk to the stag beetle if you go to the same floor he's on, it has stuff to say about every stagway platform.

Be sure to talk to him after you get the Tram Pass. He has some opinions about that.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The beetle that took you back to Dirtmouth is actually a European rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes nasicornis), a member of the genus Oryctes of the subfamily Dynastinae:

Other notable Dynastinae include the Japanese rhinoceros beetle (Allomyrina dichotoma):

The elephant beetle (Megasoma elephas):

The Atlas beetle (Chalcosoma atlas):

And the Hercules beetle (Dynastes hercules) Mateo posted earlier.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 2, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When you picked up the City Crest, I heard Rucks in my head for a second.

Though I think having a storyteller going would probably a) not work in a Metroidvania and b) ruin the mood.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chimera-gui posted:

The beetle that took you back to Dirtmouth is actually a European rhinoceros beetle (Oryctes nasicornis), a member of the genus Oryctes of the subfamily Dynastinae:

It's got a beard and everything :neckbeard:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So that glitch, whilst I don't know why it happened programming wise I'm pretty sure you knocked a projectile into another projectile, and this may have caused a physics kerfuffle.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

skasion posted:

Haven't seen the video yet so I can't say whether this is what you're talking about, but you can "fast travel" over and above the ingame forms of fast travel in the sense that quitting and reloading will spawn you back at the last bench you rested at.

This is actually really useful. When you go to the main menu the game saves everything except your current position. If you reload you spawn back at the last bench you sat on. If are making a huge trip and don't want to bother backtracking, you can do that.

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually you can overcharm by any number of notches, you just need to have at least one spare notch to cram the charm into. So if you want, you could cram a four notch charm into one notch. :eng101:

Even though I 100-percented this game, I never knew about that mechanic. I can think of at least one situation where this would be quite useful, since the double damage wouldn't actually matter there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 2, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, the bug people are able to make trams, but the fast travel utilises giant beetles.

Okay.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Samovar posted:

So, the bug people are able to make trams, but the fast travel utilises giant beetles.

Okay.

I think that tram may have actually been a toy laying around for some reason.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Samovar posted:

Okay.

Humans can build trams too, but in some parts of the world it makes more sense to ride a horse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Those are just different means of transport.
So, those humans can build airplanes, but they're still using cars?
Okay.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look dude I'll pick the silt strider over that clunky clank box for my daily commute any day of the week

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Okay.
There's actually a reason for this but that's for much later in the game. Suffice to say the tram tracks can't go everywhere.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I was gonna say, even if they arguably /can/ build the trams everywhere, they might not have the resources or time to have done so, or it may have been impractical. Sorta like having arterial train lines between cities but busses for intracity transit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Karate Bastard posted:

Look dude I'll pick the silt strider over that clunky clank box for my daily commute any day of the week

There is a sidequest that proves, without doubt, the superiority of trams over bugs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I was gonna say, even if they arguably /can/ build the trams everywhere, they might not have the resources or time to have done so, or it may have been impractical. Sorta like having arterial train lines between cities but busses for intracity transit.

Just compare it to Bus vs Subway. Or if you want to stick to trains, basic subway lines vs commuter lines.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I like that the kingdom seems to have been going through it's own stages of development when it ended. There was a fancy, expensive new tram line that likely would have gotten cheaper, wider reaching, and replaced beetle transport with time, but the fantasy apocalypse got in the way.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
We're getting self-driving cars soon to put an end to all this tram/bus nonsense. How I wish the life sciences could have gotten their act together sooner and given us careening bug rides everywhich way instead though, like oh your office is on the fifteenth floor huh well no problemo little dude hang onsuddenlygoingvertical

But alas...

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 3: Greenpath & Hornets

With the projectile spell in tow, we get to check out a new zone that's very lush and beautiful. We also meet the best character in the game, at least in my opinion.

On an aside, I hate my friends that shitpost in the comments.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hornet's weapon design is pretty cool.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Highwang posted:

We also meet the best character in the game, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, the hunter is pretty cool. He's so single-minded
Hornet is fun too. Shame about Zote, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And here's where the game starts putting on the Dark Souls in earnest. Dialogue consisting entirely of cryptic mutterings that give you absolutely nothing to go on and only make sense on a second playthrough because you're guaranteed to have forgotten them by the time you get an explanation.
I'm all for foreshadowing but it can't be all there is to the dialogue; this whole scene with Hornet and those three contradictory fellows is just incomprehensible babbling. You can't even play the enigmatic character card because you get four of the fuckers at once and the player won't be intrigued but feeling like they missed something.

This is an utterly fantastic game, but in some ways feels like it's ripping off Dark Souls even more than the unashamed ripoff Salt and Sanctuary.

And Zote is a dick.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please say there's a Hornet Mode to this game, like Julius/Richter mode in your Castlemetroidvanias.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

And here's where the game starts putting on the Dark Souls in earnest. Dialogue consisting entirely of cryptic mutterings that give you absolutely nothing to go on and only make sense on a second playthrough because you're guaranteed to have forgotten them by the time you get an explanation.
I'm all for foreshadowing but it can't be all there is to the dialogue; this whole scene with Hornet and those three contradictory fellows is just incomprehensible babbling. You can't even play the enigmatic character card because you get four of the fuckers at once and the player won't be intrigued but feeling like they missed something.

This is an utterly fantastic game, but in some ways feels like it's ripping off Dark Souls even more than the unashamed ripoff Salt and Sanctuary.

And Zote is a dick.

"You're here to do a bad thing, I can't let you do bad thing. Fight me." and an argument over whether seals can/should be broken is hardly incomprehensible though.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Glazius posted:

Please say there's a Hornet Mode to this game, like Julius/Richter mode in your Castlemetroidvanias.

It was a stretch goal on the kickstarter and is gonna be future free DLC, unless something gets hosed up. But not yet

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Glazius posted:

Hornet mode is gonna be DLC, free, shovel knight style. I think they are focusing on porting it to other systems like the switch and ps4 at the moment. Aside from the fact that they've confirmed it, and said it might involve certain places and things that otherwise serve little purpose.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

"You're here to do a bad thing, I can't let you do bad thing. Fight me." and an argument over whether seals can/should be broken is hardly incomprehensible though.
Yeah, but then you add "bad poo poo is about to happen", link it to either the seals or whatever the hell Hornet is going on about and you're getting the full Dark Souls treatment: doom! gloom! gonna kill you! ancient evil awakes! you're the chosen one! maybe not! - all at once.
Hornet in particular makes no sense here given the story. Well, at least to me.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I think they are focusing on porting it to other systems like the switch and ps4 at the moment.
Really looking forward to that. The seemingly useless objects better not be just grapple points though.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

See, I got intrigued into the games plot a lot more after I died the first time, because what happened I wasn't really expecting. It makes the stuff being said make a little more sense (though not that much).

As for the people we met, I really didn't like Zote for most of the game but I warmed up to him later, sorta. The Hunter on the other hand, I immediately turned around when I heard him roar because I thought he was some dangerous bonus boss, so I felt really silly when I came back and it was just "here, have my murder book".

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, but then you add "bad poo poo is about to happen", link it to either the seals or whatever the hell Hornet is going on about and you're getting the full Dark Souls treatment: doom! gloom! gonna kill you! ancient evil awakes! you're the chosen one! maybe not! - all at once.
Hornet in particular makes no sense here given the story. Well, at least to me.
Seems like you're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. At least to me.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Zoig posted:

As for the people we met, I really didn't like Zote for most of the game but I warmed up to him later, sorta. The Hunter on the other hand, I immediately turned around when I heard him roar because I thought he was some dangerous bonus boss, so I felt really silly when I came back and it was just "here, have my murder book".

Lol you aren't alone, I did the exact same thing with the Hunter

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The hunter's opinions on various random monsters are one of the best things about this game.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I may have started humming Storm Eagle's stage music as soon as I saw what your neat new toy did. (Yes, I know you get it in Chill Penguin's stage, but that music is nowhere near as good.) Colour me intrigued about this game, and doubly intrigued about Hornet mode, because Hornet is already my favourite, as appears to be de rigueur for Platinum Rival-esque characters.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

vdate posted:

I may have started humming Storm Eagle's stage music as soon as I saw what your neat new toy did. (Yes, I know you get it in Chill Penguin's stage, but that music is nowhere near as good.) Colour me intrigued about this game, and doubly intrigued about Hornet mode, because Hornet is already my favourite, as appears to be de rigueur for Platinum Rival-esque characters.

It's only 20 bucks on steam for the version with the soundtrack. It's an incredibly great game for relatively little in terms of price. I could see them charging 50 bucks for it considering the sheer amount of content in the game.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 4: Exploring Greenpath & Beyond

Today's update totally wasn't delayed due to a mix of conflicting schedules and new rad games.

Anyways, now that we have Mothwing Cloak we have a psuedo 2nd jump in a way. This opens up a lot of paths since it operates like every other videogame dash, allowing us to leap across certain gaps without plummeting to our untimely death. The cloak is also what pretty much everyone uses to move faster since it has the same mental effect as rolling in a zelda game.

We also got a variety of trinkets today. Balder Shell is a trinket I have a hard time endorsing. Sure it protects you as you heal, but you still suffer an interrupt in your animation which also forfeits the focus you invested in getting it. I also don't think Balder Shell staggers the enemy either, so while its great for new players I really can't recommend it in general. Thorns of Agony is a trinket that does an AoE damage effect, and in general I find myself hard-pressed to recommend these since its on-taking damage. However, Agony Thorns has a very generous AoE and respectable damage, and while its not the greatest for boss fights its super nice for general use if you ever headbutt an enemy by mistake. In terms of Shalubra(?) trinkets, Shaman Stone is definitely my favorite since it increases the already beast-mode damage of vengeful spirit. Quick Focus is probably the better option for beginners when you compare Balder Shell to it, however its way more expensive and requires one more slot so its a tough sell in general. Lifeblood Heart gives you two non-regenerating health ups when you sit at benches; I generally use this whenever I take on a boss as a free HP buffer, but lately I've been debating its worth since you can't heal the health back.

As for the alternate paths, I'm not sure what to think of the path I take vs the alternate path. The one I take feels a lot like the classic Meridian path in Super Metroid, where you see only like 10% of it and can't do anything there unless you have a certain upgrade, and that same logic applies to this new zone as well. The other path I mention appears next video, but its a path you take from the bottom of the Crossroads that you can only access via Mothwing Cloak; from there you find yourself directly at a new zone that you can fully explore and it also puts you near an awesome shopkeeper. Its weird to talk about "unintended paths' in a metroidvania when going anywhere is perfectly valid, but I'm always fascinated in speculating what the developers were expecting you to do in the first place.

Finally, for SA I got a poll for you folk since I want to get a general opinion ahead of time for where to go next.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight is actually really good about the path/map design: you're railroaded through Crossroads and Greenpath until you get the dash, then the paths you showed and described show up and then it becomes a whole lot more open with powerups usually being more of a convenience than necessity for progression, being mostly required for secrets and treasures.

By the way Quirrel is there no matter where you enter from and IIRC his dialogue is the same.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The only good kickstarter NPC I've seen is Muffet in Undertale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's amateur entomology time again and like Stag AKA the taxi, Willoh is actually a real life insect called the giraffe weevil (Trachelophorus giraffa):

• Locked thread