Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I believe female mantids only eat the males when they're stressed, like when they're in captivity being studied. It's the same sort of narritive-shaping study error that leads to that extremely aggressive alpha wolf pack structure that gets co-opted by douchebags to justify their douchebaggery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I used to know a great intentionally confusing mnemonic that began something like "You may think stalagmites MIGHT hang from the ceiling, but you'd be wrong" but I can't remember the rest of it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

#notallinsects

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

One of the key parts of the John Henry story is that he dies from the effort. So a common everyman fights industrialization and buys people's livelihoods back, but pays his physical life to do so.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's part of why they got appropriated by neckbeards, right?

They screwed up and got trilby hats instead. They just call em fedoras. The difference is mainly brim width, and the brim in trilbies is folded up in the back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Highwang posted:

That's always the tricky part of designing towards multiple endings; people will figure out which one is 'canon' and feel mandated to get it. Its almost akin to going through Hell in Cave Story.

Shadow of War has the same issue. It ends where you expect it to and then has a "faffing about fighting orcs" mode because they know that's what most people wanted more of from Shadow of Mordor. It's basically an Endless Mode but because they put in a "holy carp you've been doing this a lot, have a cookie" cutscene, some people view it as the second half of the game and complain about the grindiness and lack of new story and such.

It's a fine line to walk, made harder by people not having the line in the same place. Stupid people, always mucking things up, why can't they just conform?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So it's like The Phantom Pain?

Phantom Pain it was clearly a patch to cover up falling short in game development, so I don't consider it in the same boat. This is the point where what was intended as "postgame/bonus content" shifts the viewer's opinion of where the actual end of the game is so it becomes "maingame content" in their eyes. Phantom Pain did it the other way round, where they had the story laid out for the whole game but not enough actual game to fill it so it was a slapdash paint job.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I passed though the "mostly woo health supplements" aisle of Whole Foods yesterday and there were pills of cordyceps juice or something. Apparently it's used for coughs but it sure sounds ominous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Metroid mimics were called mocktroids.

• Locked thread