Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game is a far better 2D Dark Souls than Salt & Sanctuary. Everyone should play it.

Edit: I'm glad that Quirrel gets to be on the promo image. He's really likeable and I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Given that a later enemy has a weapon referred to as a needle and thread, it's the small metal pointy things.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Actually you can overcharm by any number of notches, you just need to have at least one spare notch to cram the charm into. So if you want, you could cram a four notch charm into one notch. :eng101:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

And here's where the game starts putting on the Dark Souls in earnest. Dialogue consisting entirely of cryptic mutterings that give you absolutely nothing to go on and only make sense on a second playthrough because you're guaranteed to have forgotten them by the time you get an explanation.
I'm all for foreshadowing but it can't be all there is to the dialogue; this whole scene with Hornet and those three contradictory fellows is just incomprehensible babbling. You can't even play the enigmatic character card because you get four of the fuckers at once and the player won't be intrigued but feeling like they missed something.

This is an utterly fantastic game, but in some ways feels like it's ripping off Dark Souls even more than the unashamed ripoff Salt and Sanctuary.

And Zote is a dick.

"You're here to do a bad thing, I can't let you do bad thing. Fight me." and an argument over whether seals can/should be broken is hardly incomprehensible though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The hunter's opinions on various random monsters are one of the best things about this game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Johnny Joestar posted:

it won't be super obvious until it's fully gone through, but, deepnest is pretty much intended to be a hostile gauntlet of a bunch of weird crap compared to other areas that are in a similar difficulty range. i'm glad that it looks like people aren't voting to go there anyways because it genuinely wouldn't make for a fun video at this point in the game and i can't even think of any particular reasons to go in there over anywhere else, especially when one of the best areas in the game is right around the corner.

I voted for it because I wanted to see Highwang suffer by going there with a basic nail.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game blends an absolutely adorable dark style with fairly dark subject matter in a way that works really well.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about Relic Seeker Lemm is that he comes off like a antisocial grouch but when you give him a chance to talk about history he eagerly goes on and on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Highwang posted:

I should preface this by saying its a very rare thing that will happen. I do know a couple VAs (Travis being one, but he's already doing work for this), but this would technically be in the line of paid work since there are 144 beastiary entries and 32(?) charms. And when you're a poor boy like me, cash for this kinda service is hard to come by.

That's actually super fascinating, especially the numbers for Desolate Dive & Spore Cloud. Where did you pull these numbers?

If voice acting them would be expensive/time consuming, you can just post screenshots.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

We know that the husks are "remains of bugs, animated by a strange force" according to bestiary entries.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Morroque posted:

The one part of the story I don't like are the Dreamers. The way they're characterized, there are three distinct characters, but in cutscene they only really share one textbox. This would be fine if the three characters were all in agreement, but they're not; they're constantly bickering. Given the textbox, it's hard to tell who has started speaking and who else has stopped, especially if you're playing for the first time. Were I a playtester on this game, I probably would've flagged that.

Having played the game as much as I could, here's what I can say for sure about them. One of the watchers wants her seal to remain in perpetuity. Another watcher sees it as necessary for the seals to break. The last watcher seems blasé about the whole thing, not necessarily caring for how long her seal lasts, only that she does her job all the while. (While we know the Watcher's individual names, at this point in the LP we still won't know what ones are which.) The other thing that annoys me about them is that every time the Dreamers try to hinder your progress, all three of them do so -- including the one who actively disagrees with the other two and thinks that all of this is wrong and doomed to fail. I can understand if she goes along with it the first time, but given how she also does it each subsequent time makes me curious to her exact characterization. It's probably an oversight, but it irks me given how well the story is done is basically every other area.

The story of Hollow Knight is one that really only begins to make sense on your second, third, or fourth playthrough. First time, it's basically walking around in a haze, making interacting with the characters who actually know what's going on (like both Hornet and the Dreamers) very frustrating because it's almost as if they speak a different language. In Hornet's case, when you meet her at the fountain in the City of Tears, she challenges you to find the "grave in ash", but doesn't tell you where or what that is. If you read the plaque on the fountain, you get the location for the Temple of the Black Egg. A first time player would assume that this is what Hornet must've been talking about, only she wasn't; there's nothing there, at least not then. It wasn't until my second 100% playthrough did I really clue into what she was actually referring to. Doing a good lore run on your first playthrough is rough.

I have a pretty good bead on Hornet and the Dreamers now after repeated playthroughs, but there are still some characters which appear later on that I'm still not sure I entirely understand, despite having listened to them several times over.

The Dreamers only hinder you one time, though? The first time they appear they didn't even do anything, they just told you to leave them alone.

I mean the one who wants the seals to break (later game spoilers) actively helps you to destroy her seal by calling Quirrel to her archives.

Edit: I met Cornifer in the Resting Grounds and I have no idea what I did differently. I even arrived at the Resting Grounds late, after I got the double jump so it should have been more likely for him to be gone. :shrug:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 3, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The flower is a neat optional challenge, to be honest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fat Samurai posted:

Difference being, the rest are fun instead of time consuming.

A test of how well you can traverse the world is fun though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm pretty sure the final story flag for Myla is obtaining the shinespark.

The laser crawlers can be killed with soul magic.

The Crystal Guardian's beams only do one damage. They do two damage on the refight

You can dreamnail the bug robot you take the Heart from.

:eng101:

"I love platforming challenges!" :getin:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Glazius posted:

It's kind of quietly hilarious that the Shinespark is a net loss to a speedrun.

The SGDQ run actually did get the shinespark though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

You could also interpret it as the orange plague having hollowed her mind out completely, which is also a decent excuse why she becomes so obsessed with you when you rescue her. Literally nothing except the guy who rescued her is in there now.

But you can dreamnail other hollowed out people.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One neat thing in this game is in the options you can turn on the ability to see all Kickstarter backers beneath their characters' names. It's just a subtle "by X" beneath their name in the corner of the screen.

Edit: You HAVE to kill at least one refight to awaken the Dreamnail. Also the refights are all awesome, I love them. Especially the Failed Champion, which is probably my third favourite boss fight in the game (behind Mantis Lords and Radiance)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 26, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how Primal Asphids make everyone suffer. Those triple shots have pinpoint accuracy

spoilers about the shroom room above the motherlode: You do indeed need the spore shroom there, and once it's equipped you can read the stone which tells you a riddle. The riddle holds all the locations in which Mister Mushroom can be found

edit: The dash slash/great slash deal 2.5x damage, not 2x damage :eng101:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 1, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the only good backer bug is MAGNUS STRONG

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

First of the three planned content updates apparently just got released.

It's Real Real Good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lazy Bear posted:

I don;t think the Up+B upgrade 'puzzle' is all that esoteric... As long as you remember the way the move looks. All the screaming faces are a pretty good indicator.

Also the dreamnail dialogue is "Our voices will cry out again", and the only ability you have that that fits is the howling wraiths.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Highwang posted:

Next episode: The best level in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fractalairduct posted:

If you're talking about Grey Prince Zote, Highwang has mentioned that boss in the lp before. I'm not sure if he knows about White Defender, though, seeing as how he didn't know about that room until someone brought it up in the thread.

I was actually wondering when he was gonna do those because I'm pretty the conditions for both of them are fulfilled.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's no reason to NOT show it, the game doesn't require you to restart or anything. The stuff just gets added into the world.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is...

good

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Catching up on the LP and I am deeply offended that y'all are disrespecting Gorb.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LashLightning posted:

The Original Vessel failed because the King gave him self-esteem. "Man, you're gonna kick so much rear end and save the day, it's gonna be great! :D "

:smith:

I mean that's just one theory of what the idea was. Also, it was an "idea instilled", not an ideal. Another theory I've seen is that the Hollow Knight looked back and saw our vessel reject clinging to the platform and felt a moment of pity, and that was the idea that fractured its emptiness.

I also dispute the idea that our boy is any more empty. A truly empty vessel is essentially an automaton who does everything for one specific purpose: Stopping the infection. A lot of the things that you do in this game (optional, admittedly) kind of work against that. Rescuing Bretta, bloodsport fighting in an arena, delivering flowers are all kind of whimsical acts and kind of imply that you aren't truly hollow.

paragon1 posted:

So how'd the Hollow Knight end up out of the Abyss and wondering around outside Hollownest proper I wonder? The opening of the game would have you think you're just some guy who came upon these ruins that plenty of other people are interested in seeing for various reasons.

There must have been other ways out of the Abyss because you're not the only one who got out. There's the Broken Vessel and also Nosk had a few vessel corpses strung up.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The reason I like the White Palace is the fact that Hollow Knight's movement is so tight and responsive and you get such a great mobility kit that the game warrants a serious platforming challenge. It's like a platforming equivalent of the more difficult dream refights or the Colosseum of Fools though I guess the difference is that none of those are specifically required for the true ending.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bingsu posted:

Actually doing at least two of the dream refights, along with a lot of the dream warriors, are mandatory to get the "true" ending. You need the Awakened Dream Nail.

Only one refight is necessary, actually. They're optional in the sense that you can pick one to do and don't have to worry about the others.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rangpur posted:

Good thing too, because I already destroyed the one in Deepnest and I would be super pissed if it turned out that locked me out of the True Ending after all this time. Also Deepnest sucks and I hate it.

Nothing will ever lock you out of the true ending. You could go complete the game and you'd still be able to reload your save and go for the true ending.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is good and so is the Path of Pain.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rangpur posted:

Notice you're not disagreeing with me about Deepnest tho'. :v:

Deepnest has a cool atmosphere but is not fun to play through.

edit: also, as evidence for the "the palace wasn't actually a buzzsaw filled hellhole, this is just a mental representation" theory I present the fact that all of the other dream boss minds have a series of floating platforms that are not at all accurate to how the surroundings to their boss rooms are

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Pale King Did Nothing Wrong

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fractalairduct posted:

Myla, the miner bug, is actually below the Black Egg Temple. The Temple is directly below Dirtmouth.

There are few things in the game which imply there may have been some Radiance sealed away within the crystals they were mining in Crystal Peak, though.

e: You can definitely find the new charms online now, I had to look up some of them myself.

I thought that the implication was more that they found the statue of the Radiance which caused them to start remembering her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

okay but when are you doing the Path of Pain

:colbert:

edit: A couple of things.

1) The Great Knights in the background of the White Defender are, in order, Mysterious Ze'mer (also known as the Grey Mourner), Fierce Dryya (the corpse outside the Pale Lady's den), Kindly Isma (whose corpse you plucked the anti-acid powerup from) and Mighty Hegemol (whose armour the False Knight wears). Dung Defender's own name is Loyal Ogrim.

2) Bretta actually does give up on Zote. If you defeat him enough that the shrine turns golden, she leaves and there's a new entry to the fanfiction journal.

The Maiden's Quest posted:

Her Grey Prince diminished and her White Saviour revealed a beast, the Maiden at last understood the truth.

Her life's companion would not appear, for they could not appeaer to a maiden idle. She must instead seek them out, must find her love, and free them of her solitude.

And thus her own journey began, out into dangerous lands, shielded by her love awaiting, guided by her love to be.

With every step, the maiden could feel it, their fated meeting, coming ever closer.

3) You don't need Grimmchild to activate Nightmare King Grimm but I kept it anyway because it felt thematically appropriate.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 6, 2018

• Locked thread