Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I was gonna say, even if they arguably /can/ build the trams everywhere, they might not have the resources or time to have done so, or it may have been impractical. Sorta like having arterial train lines between cities but busses for intracity transit.

Just compare it to Bus vs Subway. Or if you want to stick to trains, basic subway lines vs commuter lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, as amazing as the melee range boosts are I keep going without them just to avoid loving with my muscle memory whenever I use something else. ESPECIALLY when trying to pogo stick off strings of moving enemies and spikes, which I’m already bad enough at without multiple versions of range to remember. You are not alone in shelving the dashmaster badge in shame

Note to self, get back to this game now that I know my save file has been salvaged. Holy poo poo you can cover a lot of ground and get a lot of mileage without progressing the plot much in this game, but I’d have hated to start without the most basic of upgrades again…

Now I’m feeling some hindsight guilt for my optional upgrades vote, because it didn’t quite click that "get upgrades first!" meant putting off the weapon upgrades.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

vdate posted:

Hell yeah. I got some Mega Man X vibes off that guy in the best way possible. I voted for that region on the strength of that boss alone. (Though I really like the miniboss for that area too!) Soul Sanctum Boss wasn't that hard but by golly did he demand that you remembered all the things you've learned thus far.

Turns out unlike the Mantis Lords needing me to learn better pattern recognition, my lesson there was to forget all my fancy tactics and dodge timings in favor of just spamming vengeful spirit as hard as possible between sword swings :v: More time means more fuckups and stray hits I may not have time to heal from. But a couple stray hits is fine AS LONG AS THEY DIE FIRST :black101:

This mindset has helped me through multiple occasions (despite never slotting sword damage/range notches), but I expect whenever I dust this game back off and finally chase after double jumping I'll be in for a world of hurt. Particularly for later optional content.

Speaking of damage, I'd feel more impressed by spells if they scaled up with your sword. "Vengeful spirit is as strong as three sword hits! :pseudo:" turns into a lie, once you start upgrading your sword. Which makes other options not feel like "Uprades" so much as catch up to get back what I once had.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 12, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

spells can really start cleaning up if you use certain charm load outs, at least. their versatility let's them keep pace with your nail throughout the game.

Oh, definitely. Where I left off the damage charm had earned a permanent place on my belt. But like I said, the way it's presented feels more like I'm having to play catch up even after upgrades. Getting back to "Kills this current enemy in 1/3 my sword swings" still doesn't change the disappointment when it starts tickling stuff for a while and takes as many hit, or more, than your sword.

Maybe if I had foreknowledge of where the spell goodies where, or just happened across them sooner with my own exploration routes, it would have felt better. Because logically, I know they still dish out plenty of hurt with the right investment, and save me a lot of time once more.... But I ended up taking a long loving time for that so I got real used to my fireball turning into a joke for a good chunk of my gameplay.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 13, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh right, it took me a little while to realize WHY There are spikes on elevators, not just to be a dick move (but also a dick move).

You may be able to reach that area without a wall jump (I'm... PRETTY Sure I did?). So falling down the elevator shaft would make you just stuck on top of the elevator with no way out. So a video game respawn sorts that out, and also gets them more "Look how hardcore Hollow Knight is :haw:" cred at first glance.

Of late I've been trying to become more aware of "Secretly a mercy mechanic" hazards, just because I find that kind of stuff interesting and it's a nice counterpoint to "More painful always = better" logic.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 13, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

skullhead tethyis posted:

the soul sanctum has a really neat piece of narrative that you two orbited around for a while

you know as a player how to acquire soul, by killing other bugs

well, you aren't the only one who knows that

Hey now. You get soul by HITTING other bugs. If anything, killing them is worse :pseudo:

Weaker hits = more soul! Upgrading your sword and one-shot killing a weak enemy means you get basically nothing added to the meter.

...Man, no wonder they failed. "Guys, we're not getting as much soul from our victims as we used to. Maybe we should think about this." "Yes, Kill MORE of them!" "What, no."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

hollow knight does it REALLY well, so get hype for even more stuff spread throughout the game. i guess people associate that sort of thing with the souls games a lot, but i dunno if they can really lay claim to what's just an alternate way of giving information. it's nice when a game actually pulls it off in a satisfying way.

I mean, I liked the little bits of putting stuff together on my own finally getting around to that series. But damned if you do, damned if you don't getting compared to it whether you have the scenery tell the tale being "A complete rip off if you work it out for yourself!" vs "Oh my god, an NPC ACTUALLY TOLD YOU what happened here rather than leave it deliberately vague!?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NHO posted:

Note that fangirl bug was suffering from infection before meeting us.

So was sly, and now he's running a successful business.

• Locked thread