Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Highwang posted:

Dirtmouth

You have my attention.

And now that I've watched the video, you still have my attention! This looks neat, and yeah, even from what we've seen thus far it looks like a skilled player could snap this game over their knee with movement tricks.

vdate fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I may have started humming Storm Eagle's stage music as soon as I saw what your neat new toy did. (Yes, I know you get it in Chill Penguin's stage, but that music is nowhere near as good.) Colour me intrigued about this game, and doubly intrigued about Hornet mode, because Hornet is already my favourite, as appears to be de rigueur for Platinum Rival-esque characters.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

At least none of the backer characters in this game (that I've seen so far,anyway) are offensively bad like most backer characters. I honestly still don't get why devs do that-the backer characters are inevitably some anime garbage (that ninja guy from Shovel Knight) some creepy fetish thing (So Sorry from Undertale) or "quirky" like our weevil friend.

The kickstarter backer characters from Divekick all feel more or less at-home. (I won't say 'not anime bullshit' or 'quirky' or whatever, but because of Divekick's nature as a parody of its entire genre that's all to the good.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I didn't even know you could dash upwards with that charm. I thought it was all down-dash dodge.

The LP convinced me to buy the game, so I went and got the Dashmaster charm, and I tested this. Unless the up-dash input is some bizarre 623+jump input or something, there is no up-dash, just a down dash.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think I went to 'the best area in the game' instead of going to the Mantis Lords (I took one look at the hole in Mantis Village's floor and went NOPE), and yeah, that place is loving gorgeous.

Also, I think you can make Quirrel (spelling?) appear on the little airdash-requiring platform above the acid pit right in front of Mantis Village proper - I left to touch a bench before going in and found him there while going back. I don't know what the trigger is for it, though, since you obviously didn't get him to show!

Also, you might have thought of Ruin Sentinels, but I thought of Skeleton Lords, which I think is a much better designed (if easier) boss fight. I admit that's probably just due to the name, though; the Mantis Lords don't summon adds.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 6, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Highwang posted:

I mainly thought of Ruin Sentinels because it unfolds in a similar fashion of one boss then two typically. DaS2 had a bunch of really bad mob fights though that have that leap-frogging problem I mentioned, namely the 2nd to last fight with the Throne Guards.

A thought about that occurs now that you mention the leapfrogging thing:

Like, The Thing about Dark Souls is that thanks to the stamina bar and the fairly lengthy attack animations, there's a non-zero opportunity cost to making an attack - you are, to some extent, committed to it, and even if the window for you to roll out of an attack is fairly generous, by making it in the first place you're using stamina, which powers both of your damage evasion mechanics.

There is an opportunity cost to attacking in Hollow Knight - as you demonstrated most neatly with the roll-y things the big armadillo guys lob at you, there is a cooldown on your sword swing, however short, so you can't just hammer the button and get constant pushback. However, compared to the costs in Dark Souls it's really, really small (much like our main character :v:). Additionally (and maybe more importantly?) Hollow Knight lets you attack a) while walking, and b) while jumping (and gives you the down attack in addition to the other directions while you're in the air) - which means you can attack while evading. If you could do that in DaS2, I feel like maybe Ruin Sentinels wouldn't have been nearly as bad a boss fight.

Note that I'm not defending Ruin Sentinels' boss design or anything, it just seemed like kind of a flawed comparison.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

azren posted:

Those are loving adorable! :3:

Agreed. I somehow managed to not comment on them but they are every bit as cute as the character art in the game. Are the fish and the bicycle apropos of anything in particular, blankd?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

This is loving adorable. I wish I wasn't so bad at metroidvania type games, because I think I'd enjoy wandering around and picking up the story for myself.

It's not THAT hard a game, to be honest. Maps are easy once you've got them, and Cornifer typically makes his presence easy-ish to find except in deepnest, which made me giggle like crazy, or you can look up where he's at. As long as your Mega Man X (Zero?) skills are up to spec I don't think you'll have many problems!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ooh it gets hard later on. Its very much concentrated in the late game and the optional stuff.
And some things are just absolutely brutal.

That...bodes ill considering I died more than once to library-boss.

Oh well. If at first you don't succeed, die, try again, and all that.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Mover posted:

Voted Soul Sanctum because fighting the boss was like hurling my nuts into a vice repeatedly but goddamn if he isn't cool and well designed and has multiple holy poo poo moments

Hell yeah. I got some Mega Man X vibes off that guy in the best way possible. I voted for that region on the strength of that boss alone. (Though I really like the miniboss for that area too!) Soul Sanctum Boss wasn't that hard but by golly did he demand that you remembered all the things you've learned thus far.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

bewilderment posted:

You can theoretically get to the second half of City of Tears by going all the way right to the area on the far right of the map, I think, but it's a really roundabout method:
Crystal Peak -> Ancient Basin (where you fell in at the end there) -> take the other transport method that isn't the stag to go right -> go up, go right.

And I think to make it through that you would still need to go through the waterways anyway to get the acid immunity anyway. But it is another way in.

I absolutely accessed the City of Tears' second half by backdooring through the elevator to the Place What Highwang Is In Right Now after stumbling into THAT from Crystal Peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I feel like the entire trend of positive response towards 'provide little snippets of history and context and leave the players to draw their conclusions' was a backlash against games that refused to let you play until they were done talking at you for three or so hours. It's quite possible Dark Souls went too far in the other direction, but the change was refreshing, to be sure. More to the point, I feel like in Dark Souls in particular, context is all that's necessary - buildup, climax, and resolution takes place within the game itself as a function of what the player does. History is required to give that meaning, is all. As was the case with other follow-the-leader inducing works (see: Watchmen/Dark Knight Returns, Evangelion), a lot of the problem comes from people imitating the form because it's hip and it sells without understanding the intent behind it.

Re: the Dream Seer - in addition to the 'shamanism' aesthetic, the Seer is not wearing a white mask (or doesn't have a white face? not sure how that works) - her head looks like a insect's head, making her rather more explicitly buglike than a lot of the folks we meet.

Also, weren't the Dream Warriors created by Kickstarter backers at a certain level?

• Locked thread