Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancer
May 23, 2011

Highwang posted:

We also fight Flukemarm today, who is a chump if you can one-shot her babies but a pain if you cant due to how many she produces.

I have yet to take more than one jump to defeat Flukemarm. In my normal game I found her very late, then in both Steel Soul and Glass Soul I just had no reason to go to her until going for percentage points after getting most of the other things in the game. She's possibly the chumpy-est chump of all boss fights in the game (some of the warrior graves are close, as was pre-update Nosk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also there's a much more trivial way to figure it out, which is that mimics block movement whereas regular grubs do not.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

I don;t think the Up+B upgrade 'puzzle' is all that esoteric... As long as you remember the way the move looks. All the screaming faces are a pretty good indicator.

I had some trouble in my first run because I had literally never used the up-spell since obtaining it :v:. Without testing, it seemed to me like, because the AoE is so big, it can't deal very good damage. So I saved all my mana for healing/fireball.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Highwang posted:

Next episode: The worst level in the game.

Them's fighting words.
(not really, I was and still am really annoyed with the slapfights around that level, and people can very well disagree with me, but I thought the level was Cool and Good)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

(not meant seriously I get that some people don't like this gameplay)

Dancer
May 23, 2011
"How the gently caress is this a king's castle?" -> it's debatable that it's not actually meant to be that, it's meant to be a vault that the king has actively tried to protect as much as possible. The safety mechanisms have become enmeshed in the memory and now you have... this.

At 6:55 you missed the Best shortcut, where you dash all the way above the sawblades. There are also so many spots where you could've cheesed it slightly, if you cared for it, by repeatedly down-swiping while being adjacent to vertical damage-stuff (saws or spikes). If you truly despise WP this much, and want to do it again (maybe because you want 100% steel soul), there are various tricks you can use.

At 17:05, the by far hardest dash of the set can be trivialized by using super-dash instead, saving you (I expect) a lot of frustration.

Note about the spoiler-y thing later in the video: you need to equip the charm, not just obtain it, to open that passage.

Dancer fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 31, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

paragon1 posted:

So how'd the Hollow Knight end up out of the Abyss and wondering around outside Hollownest proper I wonder? The opening of the game would have you think you're just some guy who came upon these ruins that plenty of other people are interested in seeing for various reasons.

I recall seeing some reddit thread about this, with posts by at least one person who seemed to have gone rather deeply into the lore, and the conclusion was basically we have no information to go on. Of course they might be wrong, but I imagine someone would've pointed it out if there was anything concrete to work with.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Before Grimm Troupe there were exactly two collectable charm notches in the game. You say you got the fog canyon one, the other one most people get much earlier from fighting two big mushrooms in fungal washes. Any other charm notches you're missing are sold by Salubra. Also she sells you a thing if you return to her after owning 36 charms.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

Oh, and I'm sure you know to show what happens after you get the fully upgraded nail with Sheo?
There are two ways that thing can work out btw.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Max% is maybe slightly harder with GT because if you feed one of your fragile charms to that creature you lose the percentage point and you can't get it back until you grind the required amount of money.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I can confirm that last statement.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Well I was kidding before, but I actually am catching up pretty quick. Is there anything required for the True End beyond reassembling that charm? (Including all the running around required to do that, of course, which does add up to an awful lot of hoops to jump through.)

All other pre-requisites I can think of are already required for that charm. I'm pretty sure once you get it you can go get the true ending.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

There's a third piece to the charm.

Wang will get to it in time, but he's got a few steps to go before we get to the endgame.
Pretty sure this isn't spoilers, just making sure.
Didn't Wang do that in the newest video? I'm fairly confident the final boss can be accessed right now. Am I missing something?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Pff, that guy's so slow. Here's how it's supposed to be done.
https://youtu.be/0QnLG-JEzzU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Highwang posted:

Next time, the worst sidequest ever[tm]

And after that, you do a glass soul run, right :v: ?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Magic was my friend too. I had to retry a few times because I had a dumb route that went through the crossroads and I kept a) forgetting about those dumb spikes that fall from the ceiling and b) forgetting that those dumb fat flies' dumb corpses explode a few seconds after death. Other than that, the route is almost entirely stuff where you can just be slow and careful (the last room being a notable exception).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Genocyber posted:

It's over! Mostly. Still got Grim Troupe. Also, where's the completed bestiary, Highwang? Huh, where is it!?

Also PoP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

On Grimm:

because it's holding a different type of magic. Though both radiance and Grimm use dream magic.

I forget where, but I'm fairly confident I was reading a discussion on some HK canon, and people there were saying that nightmare stuff is distinctly different from dream stuff. It's a "different type of magic" because it just isn't "dream magic"

• Locked thread