Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Play this game.
Now.
Just do it already!

This may well be the best metroidvania I have ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
By the end of the game, you should be so familiar with those tight controls that it works out.
And you can straight up cheese some of the bosses with the right set up.
I really want anyone who's on the edge to give it a shot. It's so incredibly good! It's actually kinda sad that the thread in games has only one page.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

skasion posted:

Haven't seen the video yet so I can't say whether this is what you're talking about, but you can "fast travel" over and above the ingame forms of fast travel in the sense that quitting and reloading will spawn you back at the last bench you rested at.

This is actually really useful. When you go to the main menu the game saves everything except your current position. If you reload you spawn back at the last bench you sat on. If are making a huge trip and don't want to bother backtracking, you can do that.

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually you can overcharm by any number of notches, you just need to have at least one spare notch to cram the charm into. So if you want, you could cram a four notch charm into one notch. :eng101:

Even though I 100-percented this game, I never knew about that mechanic. I can think of at least one situation where this would be quite useful, since the double damage wouldn't actually matter there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 2, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Those are just different means of transport.
So, those humans can build airplanes, but they're still using cars?
Okay.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Highwang posted:

We also meet the best character in the game, at least in my opinion.

Yeah, the hunter is pretty cool. He's so single-minded
Hornet is fun too. Shame about Zote, though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

are you going to post the bestiary at some point?

If not, we'd be missing a lot of cool background information, world building and characterization of the Hunter. He's our only real friend. We must become worthy-

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
With the right combination of charms and most upgrades you can face tank most bosses.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

e: Oh, neat, I never seen this dialogue with the miner. I always found her in the next stage.

There is actually a second phase he missed. (Unless I forgot about it)
The first time you meet her she doesn't really remember the song.
The next time she actually does. There is some lore there.
Then she's in this weird state.
You can probably imagine, what the final encounter is like.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

That's probably it.

I regret nothing. gently caress that last jump. :colbert:

As far as I'm aware, they fixed that exploit with the latest patch, you dirty cheater.
It's not that hard anyway, since there is an almost completely safe path. I was able to do it on my third try or so. There are way bigger challenges in this game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

A test of how well you can traverse the world is fun though.

Yeah this. It forces you to play the game a different way, since by the time you are doing that quest you're used to facetank most stuff.
And it's not timed, so you don't have to stress out over it. Come to think of it, as far as I'm aware right now, there aren't any timed race type quest. Unless the speedrun achievements, I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 6, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bewilderment posted:

That one's a good amount easier - once you have enough max health, you can just equip all the blue health givers and the charm that converts your regular health to blue health, and not only can you make it, pretty easily, but also take on or two hits on your way to the challenge.

Yeah. I directly did it that way. Until now it didn't even occur to me how tedious it might be the "legitimate" way.

Thread challenge: Highwang, do that thing without any charms, whatsoever!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 10, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

you can also dream nail the glowy little trees that spit out the orbs after you've completed them

there is always more to dream nail

Not to mention the fact that all enemies are dreamnailable

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Double jump is always the best upgrade in any metroidvania. But this one in particular feels really good.

All lore is canon.
Why do you hate pizza, Highwang? What has pizza ever done to you?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 24, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

dancingbears posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I was yelling at the screen to use the Dream Nail on those crawlers when you were at low heath and soul. They're so slow! They're perfect for beating forever with the Dream Nail for infinite health! Jeez.

People keep forgetting that the dreamnail is a thing. It allows you to siphon magic while giving you lore!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Glazius posted:

Did mowing down all those little orange cells rack up the Hunter count for them, or are they strictly cosmetic?

I believe the ones from the boss where separate. But killing enough of those barely takes a minute anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I actually never knew about the motherlode. Thanks for showing that off.
By the way, the new content will be released this week.

And good luck with your new job I hope you will have a good time there.

Quick slash is great and so is pizza!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Who cares? They're all just unfinished stalagnates anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The bestiary for those things is actually pretty interesting.
They are a sentient slave/livestock caste. "If one of them begs for it's life, just ignore it. They have nothing to bargain with."
Bug society may have had some flaws.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hunter did nothing wrong!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Vil posted:

Try this one. Bear in mind that it includes spoilers for places we haven't seen yet in the LP.

Interestingly, there is a place missing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

So, I dunno how feasible it is, but could Flukemarm be done earlier with a spellcaster build? Use spells to kill the flukes, use the marm itself to keep your Soul up?

Sure. It's not that hard of a boss. You will probably still be fine if the flukes take 2 or maybe 3 hits with your nail. It's just a bit more tedious and annoying.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Glazius posted:

That's interesting about Sly. Got dissatisfied with what the sword could do so he took up the merchant's scale?

Nah. He's just really greedy and prefers overcharging desperate adventurers and bathing in their geo. He still seems to like swords, but that seems to be what he loves most.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Only one refight is necessary, actually. They're optional in the sense that you can pick one to do and don't have to worry about the others.

Or you could just grind random monsters for a few decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The withe place is a cool challenge which makes you actually work for your progress.
Deepnest is just kind of a tedious slog.

• Locked thread