Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Voted for the sewers: might as well go and do the shittiest boss immediately.

Also I take umbrage with your statement that Dead Cells is trying to be like Dark Souls. They say that in the promotional stuff cause souls-like is a buzzword now, but the game plays nothing like Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I didn't find the flower side quest to be bad. The path you take to the destination (or the one I took at least) doesn't really have any big threats on it; I think the "worst" part was some platforming with spikes but it's one of the tamer platforming challenges. I enjoyed how it forced me to play through the game more slowly and patiently than I had up to that point.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's worth pointing out that you can make it up to that ledge that you said required the double jump. You just need to pogo bounce off of one of the pickaxes that the miner enemy there throws. I did that on my first playthrough and it resulted in me not acquiring the Crystal Heart because I assumed the item that's up there was the "area reward."

I voted for Outskirts because IIRC you need to go there to get an NPC interaction in Deepnest. Something I missed on my playthrough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't recall if you've picked it up in the LP yet but if you're using Quick Slash you should also be using the one that removes knockback from hitting enemies. It's also better than Fragile Strength later on in the game because by that point you have a much stronger nail and the boost from Fragile Strength is comparatively insignificant. Though personally I say gently caress both of these options and go with a spell-slinging build.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Re: Lore chat

Demon's Souls and Bloodborne both do a great job of having most of the lore stuff tie in with what you encounter in the game. Bloodborne in particular has pretty much everything in the item descriptions be relevant to some degree.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mortons stork posted:

The yellow infection we're seeing reminds me strongly of the Plasmodium, with the difference being that here we see separate cells, which a plasmodium doesn't have, being an aggregate with many nuclei and no cell membranes in between. Basically it looks like a slime mold is eating everything, and it looks really cool.

It's stuff like this why I love animal-themed media like this. There's so much crazy/cool/weird stuff from nature that rarely gets drawn on if you're sticking with a by-the-numbers Tolkien fantasy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

The bestiary for those things is actually pretty interesting.
They are a sentient slave/livestock caste. "If one of them begs for it's life, just ignore it. They have nothing to bargain with."
Bug society may have had some flaws.

DISCLAIMER: Bestiary entries are the personal opinions of the hunter, and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of Hallownest as a whole.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Abyss is probably the area of the game that was influenced most directly by Dark Souls and definitely benefits from it. Usually when a video game talks about the dark it's the Kingdom Hearts-esque "DAAAAAARKNEEEESSS" sort of thing, but Dark Souls and related titles go for more "this is a living thing that is quite dangerous but not inherently bad or evil." Also the overall aesthetics that Dark Souls and Hollow Knight here especially use, giving it a more organic feel, is rad as hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which reminds me that it is not explicitly said that Hornet is the biological daughter of the Spider Leader, only that the Spider Leader is her mother, and all things considered I feel it’s just as likely she is the child of the Abyss and the King, given Hornet is Bug shaped not spider shaped, and she uses her needle and thread to replicate web-weaving.

It's not explicitly stated but it's pretty strong implied with the White Lady's use of the world "dalliance" to refer to the Wyrm's and Herrah's association as well as her being very un-vessel-like (that had to come from somewhere). Also Occam's Razor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regarding the just uploaded episode that doesn't have an update here yet:

Regarding the Millibelle quest, it's a great play on the bank side quest you see in some games like Majora's Mask. Storing enough money in the bank typically gets you some sort of rare item, here it just gets you theft...at least at first. Because something you missed, Highwang, is that you can get all your money, and then some, back from her at the Pleasure House. Just keep whacking at her with your nail and you'll get like double your money back. Quickest way is to repeatedly pogo bounce off of her.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Maybe don't talk about videos that haven't been linked here yet.

I put that header there for a reason. Considering the video is freely available there's not really a reason not to discuss it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Y'know Highwang, I figured you had already reached the depths of depravity by being a pizza-hater. Now I've learned that you call My Hero Academia Boku no Hero Academia. Will you not stop your descent into madness!?

And oh boy, the White Palace. Easily the most contentious area in the game. I think I'm in agreement that it's badly designed on account of it being such a swerve in presentation from everything that came before. On the other hand I do think they did a decent enough job justifying it's existence. It's a structure that exists to guard a portion of the soul of the king, of course it has ridiculous defenses. And while it does offer a different kind of experience than everything else in the game, that can be a good thing as it adds a bit of variety. I think the big mistake they made was hinging the true ending on its completion. If it was just 100% then it would be just like the Trials of Fools; an ultra-hard challenge for the stupidfoolishbrave but one that could be ignored by anyone that doesn't have the inclination to take it on. But with the true ending being locked behind it it ends up becoming a requisite thing to do since most players that make it this far in are going to want the best ending. And therein lies the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just caught up with the past few episodes.

I find people's pain at the flower quest amusing because I did it in just one run. Just need to be careful, bub!

Gypsy is a racial slur for the Romani people, FYI.

The Radiance is a lady, btw. Which means in the good ending you officially slap a bitch.

I think the ultimate take away from the game is that we need no gods and no masters. You see Hollow Knight actually has anti-capitalistic themes and-

It's over! Mostly. Still got Grim Troupe. Also, where's the completed bestiary, Highwang? Huh, where is it!?

• Locked thread