Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Definitely the best Metroidvania I played in years, probably competing with Aquaria for my favorite one period. Super glad someone is LPing it, more people should know about this game.

e: The awesome thing about the spike bounce is that you'll most likely discover it when falling to your death and trying everything not to. I know I did.
The Dark Souls parallels when it comes to a storytelling work... A bit too well in my opinion, but we'll get to that much later.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could also be "nails like cut off and discarded tips of human nails". They're bugs, who knows what their weapons are made out of.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly sure that bit about fast traveling to benches is a lie... Or did I miss something really useful and obvious?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

So, the bug people are able to make trams, but the fast travel utilises giant beetles.

Okay.
There's actually a reason for this but that's for much later in the game. Suffice to say the tram tracks can't go everywhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And here's where the game starts putting on the Dark Souls in earnest. Dialogue consisting entirely of cryptic mutterings that give you absolutely nothing to go on and only make sense on a second playthrough because you're guaranteed to have forgotten them by the time you get an explanation.
I'm all for foreshadowing but it can't be all there is to the dialogue; this whole scene with Hornet and those three contradictory fellows is just incomprehensible babbling. You can't even play the enigmatic character card because you get four of the fuckers at once and the player won't be intrigued but feeling like they missed something.

This is an utterly fantastic game, but in some ways feels like it's ripping off Dark Souls even more than the unashamed ripoff Salt and Sanctuary.

And Zote is a dick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

"You're here to do a bad thing, I can't let you do bad thing. Fight me." and an argument over whether seals can/should be broken is hardly incomprehensible though.
Yeah, but then you add "bad poo poo is about to happen", link it to either the seals or whatever the hell Hornet is going on about and you're getting the full Dark Souls treatment: doom! gloom! gonna kill you! ancient evil awakes! you're the chosen one! maybe not! - all at once.
Hornet in particular makes no sense here given the story. Well, at least to me.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I think they are focusing on porting it to other systems like the switch and ps4 at the moment.
Really looking forward to that. The seemingly useless objects better not be just grapple points though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight is actually really good about the path/map design: you're railroaded through Crossroads and Greenpath until you get the dash, then the paths you showed and described show up and then it becomes a whole lot more open with powerups usually being more of a convenience than necessity for progression, being mostly required for secrets and treasures.

By the way Quirrel is there no matter where you enter from and IIRC his dialogue is the same.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know you could dash upwards with that charm. I thought it was all down-dash dodge.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Deepnest can go eat a dick. I understand why they went with this particular style and design elements (because there are some things you just have to have in a game about bugs) but... Ugh. And we haven't even seen the really creepy parts yet.

Probably explains why I had no idea the Moss Prophet existed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You totally should show off using the eggs, it's kinda funny.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the story is really similar to Dark Souls, not just in the actual plot but also the themes it deals with. Whether that is a bad thing is up to anyone's judgment, I honestly find it disappointing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

It seems like... the Dreamers? It seems like they're aware something is going wrong but they're compelled not to fix it.
Well, they say that they are asleep so maybe they just can't do anything except send out visions. And they seemed rather surprised by your presence there.
See unlike the post-Hornet scene, this is actually good cryptobabble: to the point and giving you enough clues to puzzle some meaning out of it.

e:

bewilderment posted:

Crystal Peak -> Ancient Basin (where you fell in at the end there) -> take the other transport method that isn't the stag to go right -> go up, go right.
Can you access the other transport method by now? I know you can get to the area where it is, but IIRC you need to use another entrance. Still, if not, it's yet another proof of how wonderfully designed the map is, letting you explore at your leisure without requiring the powerups while still keeping the powerups meaningful.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 27, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That sidequest is really, really loving dumb. Like, you can remove a lot of the risk beforehand but the place where you have to get to in the end is just... Ugh. I think I gave up on that after failing the last jump three times.

e: Oh, neat, I never seen this dialogue with the miner. I always found her in the next stage.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 4, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What collective unconscious though? We don't really see that, the most that's been showed is that the three Dreamers can communicate telepathically - with us and with each other.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They also all show something new, this one just has you backtrack under strenuous conditions.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lost Kin is actually pretty easy to cheese - using any kind of poison aura pops his summons in one shot and without them he's pretty easy to damage-race. Hell, he's the only one of the refights I beat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

freshlybaked posted:

I was even less equipped than you when I beat Hornet the second time, and I demand everyone goes through that same pain.

I kid, it was a wreck on my hands and nerves, and I'm really curious to see what you meant by 'making it easier' when you get to it.
Eh, I went there straight from City of Tears and I don't remember her being particularly hard. Saying that as someone who never beat most of the refights or the true final boss.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
First of the three planned content updates apparently just got released.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So here's what I hate about Deepnest: I can stomach ambushes, I can stomach stylized cartoony spider, I can stomach not being able to see poo poo until it tries to kill me. What really got me is the goddamn foreground effect where a spider occassionally skitters across your screen.
I played this whole section as far away from the screen as possible and I still dread coming back there on subsequent playthroughs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

What is this, an image for bugs? :v:
It's actually a 1:1 copy of a gigantic fresco located in the City of Tears.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

I honestly just made it up. I knew nothing about it.
I think we'll get some more traitor lore later on, when you do the rest of the area.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You really only need to do one refight to awaken the dreamknife, if you do all the threes and dream spirits.

e: Oh drat, is it that time already? Well, good luck playing Super Hollow Meat Knight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've always handwaved the ridiculous sawblades as being wishful thinking on part of the guard whose mind we're invading. Guy was really into his job.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but those aren't a requirement for the true ending, you need them to complete the game period.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the first leak - I always figured the King just grabbed a flawed vessel. You can't see any cracks in his head but chances are there was a really tiny one that grew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
By the time the game started, yeah, but that's some time after they did the sealing. The deal was to seal Radiance inside the Hollow Knight inside the temple. Two barriers, though both turned leaky.

• Locked thread