Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Summiting and back down in a day is tough but if that's what the permit is for then I guess that's what you gotta do, bring good headlamps and leave super early in the morning. Definitely spend several days acclimating at Whitney Portal if you can.

Make sure to bring enough food and make sure that you eat it even if you don't feel hungry. Altitude can affect your appetite but you need the calories to keep yourself going. You can probably get water at a few places along the way (there are a couple of lower lakes and then Trail Camp has water even if I find the whole camp area sketchy and gross) but bring something to treat it (either a filter or some chemical treatment).

Don't leave any food in your pack if you drop it at Trail Crest to finish the ascent! Marmots will get into your poo poo and eat your food they are little ninjas at that poo poo.

If the weather looks bad don't do it anyways, it's exposed as hell up there. Oh yeah and the whole make sure your gear is broken in and comfortable so you don't end up with massive blisters from new boots or something.

If you get bad altitude sickness also don't push it and head back down. Altitude affects everyone differently and if it hits you real bad you're better off cutting the trip short.

This is what happens when you leave your subway sandwhich in your backpack at Trail Crest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

April/May is snow season still are you cool with that kind of ascent? There will definitely be snow up there and possibly a whole lot of it

The lottery doesn't even end until the end of April so I think a permit in April or even Nay might not be as hard to get but again we're talking winter conditions and strong storms possible.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If you have more than a day or two and can handle the backpacking aspect you can also look for permits starting at other trailheads and climb it from the other side

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I actually meant going up via the JMT, just not sure how many days you'd need to do it.

• Locked thread