Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am thinking Mt. Whitney as a possible hike next year. I've done Mt. Baldy twice now, and I'll try San Gorgonio later this year. Assuming that all goes well, I'd like to start prepping for Whitney.

The biggest issue I have is the permit process. With both Baldy hikes, I was following the daily weather conditions a full month in advance, and ultimately I made the final go-decision only three days in advance. But with Whitney, I have to get a permit well in advance (March) and if the weather is poo poo on the date that you reserved (wind, lightning storm, avalanche conditions) you are poo poo out of luck.

What's the strategy for getting a permit and having a high chance of making it to the top, and back, unharmed? I'd like to go early in the season April/May, on non-weekend days, if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Levitate posted:

April/May is snow season still are you cool with that kind of ascent? There will definitely be snow up there and possibly a whole lot of it

The lottery doesn't even end until the end of April so I think a permit in April or even Nay might not be as hard to get but again we're talking winter conditions and strong storms possible.

I want some snow, but not a whole lot of it. If I don't see a trail that I can follow, I'm not going up. If I see a trail, but there is a chance of an avalanche, I am not going up.

So let's say I moved my date to May/June, what's the strategy for getting a permit? Do I apply for one and hope that conditions on that day are good? If the conditions are poo poo, I don't go. Or do I apply for 10 permits and hope the weather is good on one of those days?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

erobadapazzi posted:

I believe the switchbacks have only become accessible in the past week or two this year. Even now they aren't completely clear. Tons of people are still going up the chute from what I have read. it sounds like an August date might suit you more.

You can also try for walk-up permits.

Got it. I'll follow the winter weather to get an idea of how much snow there will be.

I'd still appreciate input on the permit strategy.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Excellent. Thanks for the input. I have basic crampon+axe skills, but it would indeed be safer to do the hike when it's free of snow. If I still insist on a snow hike, I can always go the year after. The mountain won't go anywhere.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Levitate posted:

I actually meant going up via the JMT, just not sure how many days you'd need to do it.

Yeah, I got the idea. I am still skittish about camping. I've only done it once (a long time ago) but it sucked big-time. So a hike that requires just one night of camping (the regular route) is already pushing my comfort zone. Then again, perhaps I have changed enough that I will enjoy it this time. Who knows?

Anyway, Mt. San Gorgonio first, and I'll take it from there.

• Locked thread