Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chicago is awesome. Come here and bitch about the weather with us. We also have a sandy beach around a lake that you can use 3 weeks out of the year!

At how late the 30s/40s weather is lasting this year, it might just be one week :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

oliveoil posted:

Everyone seems excited about Big Ten college towns. Which are those? Is this a reliable list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Universities

The "towns" that I can vouch for personally are Ann Arbor, Madison, Urbana Champaign and Iowa City. Some of the other traditional B1G schools are in bigger cities (NW, Minnesota, OSU, Nebraska) and some of the new schools (Maryland, PSU, Rutgers) have a very different feel.

I don't know enough about Indiana or Purdue to disparage them, but they ARE in Indiana.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kansas City is super cool and you should definitely check it out.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

oliveoil posted:

Everyone seems excited about Big Ten college towns. Which are those? Is this a reliable list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Universities

That link somehow goes to an article about Big Ten schools that have Rugby clubs. So no, that's missing 4 of the 14 schools and isn't a reliable list.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That did get me a little sidetracked reading about college Rugby and woo boy do they have some wikipedia editors who really want you to believe they are an official big deal NCAA sport as opposed to being comprised of student clubs. No wonder somebody who didn't know what the Big Ten was could stumble in to their world given how misleading they make it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

At how late the 30s/40s weather is lasting this year, it might just be one week :(

I'll take this for how easy our winter was.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The "towns" that I can vouch for personally are Ann Arbor, Madison, Urbana Champaign and Iowa City. Some of the other traditional B1G schools are in bigger cities (NW, Minnesota, OSU, Nebraska) and some of the new schools (Maryland, PSU, Rutgers) have a very different feel.

I don't know enough about Indiana or Purdue to disparage them, but they ARE in Indiana.

As a former Illinois resident who moved to Indiana for a job, don't go to Indiana. It's a race to the bottom.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

No Butt Stuff posted:

Kansas City is super cool and you should definitely check it out.

KC seems super dope

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KC seems super dope

Yeah I love KC, it's one of the places we'd consider relocating for - close enough to family for everyone not to get super butthurt, but also really good food and fun social life.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DTaeKim posted:

As a former Illinois resident who moved to Indiana for a job, don't go to Indiana. It's a race to the bottom.

Counterpoint: I lived in Bloomington IN for a few years I grad school and I miss it terribly, but I wasn't married with a family so I'm sure it would be a different experience for you. I'll admit it's in the middle of nowhere though, but a very pretty middle of nowhere.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I have lived in the midwest my entire life, so I have poo poo experience for comparison. However, people that relocate here from the coasts invariably take note that people are just nicer here. Which always surprises me, because I feel like I am surrounded by assholes. So take that as you may, an rear end in a top hat to a midwesterner is nice to someone from the coast.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
You're probably going to have to take a big pay cut. Low 100s seems to be the high-water mark for tech salaries in much of the midwest and the BLS suggests the median salary is right at $90k. And being a red state does not guarantee lower taxes when there are three local government entities taking a few percent of your income each (on top of federal, state, property, sales, etc). gently caress special assessment bonds.

It's still a lot of money though, even $150k is enough to max out your 401ks and still provide a good life for your family.

There's a surprising amount of variety in the mid-west though. The further east you go, the more frequent older, "charming" neighborhoods with downtowns get. Of course cheap two-story traditionals on a cul-de-sac with a Walmart down the road are in abundance. The cost of housing is almost always correlated with the quality of public schools more than anything else.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

adorai posted:

I have lived in the midwest my entire life, so I have poo poo experience for comparison. However, people that relocate here from the coasts invariably take note that people are just nicer here. Which always surprises me, because I feel like I am surrounded by assholes. So take that as you may, an rear end in a top hat to a midwesterner is nice to someone from the coast.

Generally the midwest is pretty nice, but in any major city they'll still go from nice to rear end in a top hat (and vice versa) in a split second. Try stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture downtown in Chicago at 8am and see how fast people just walk right over you or scream at you to get moving/get out of the loving way. Or getting shoved out of the way if you don't know L train etiquette and pause before choosing a direction on the platform. Those are the same people that will hold a door open for you two seconds later.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
To be fair if you stop in the middle of a busy sidewalk without checking to see if you have room to do so you are the rear end in a top hat, just like someone standing on the down escalator.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DTaeKim posted:

But they tell me it's a State That WorksTM

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Generally the midwest is pretty nice, but in any major city they'll still go from nice to rear end in a top hat (and vice versa) in a split second. Try stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture downtown in Chicago at 8am and see how fast people just walk right over you or scream at you to get moving/get out of the loving way.

I do not live in a big city, but a town with a lot of tourism. Tourists are loving annoying. I empathize with the people who are frustrated that you are making them late for work by not moving off to the side to take a photo or figure out where you're going. It's inconsiderate.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

oRenj9 posted:

You're probably going to have to take a big pay cut. Low 100s seems to be the high-water mark for tech salaries in much of the midwest and the BLS suggests the median salary is right at $90k. And being a red state does not guarantee lower taxes when there are three local government entities taking a few percent of your income each (on top of federal, state, property, sales, etc). gently caress special assessment bonds.

$100k might not sound like much to a Bay Area tech worker, but just to reiterate, you can get a great house (5 bedrooms, 3000+ square feet, acreage if that's your thing) for less than $300k pretty much anywhere but Chicago, and a pretty good one for the low 200s.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Generally the midwest is pretty nice, but in any major city they'll still go from nice to rear end in a top hat (and vice versa) in a split second. Try stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture downtown in Chicago at 8am and see how fast people just walk right over you or scream at you to get moving/get out of the loving way. Or getting shoved out of the way if you don't know L train etiquette and pause before choosing a direction on the platform. Those are the same people that will hold a door open for you two seconds later.

Chicagoans are all wannabe East coasters. Don't lump them in with us. :colbert:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ChipNDip posted:

$100k might not sound like much to a Bay Area tech worker, but just to reiterate, you can get a great house (5 bedrooms, 3000+ square feet, acreage if that's your thing) for less than $300k pretty much anywhere but Chicago, and a pretty good one for the low 200s.

Taking a glace at houses in Palo Alto vs. random midsized town in the Midwest (Madison, Des Moines, etc) and real estate costs are in the Midwest are literally 10-15% percent of what they are the valley for comparable homes.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 12, 2017

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Man... I'm kind of sort of tempted to move back to St. Louis

But it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter..... but I sure miss the Cardinals....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Man... I'm kind of sort of tempted to move back to St. Louis

But it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter..... but I sure miss the Cardinals....

St. Louis is awesome because they have what might be the single best hangover cure food in the world with the Slinger. If you don't wanna click the link it's eggs, hashbrowns, and a hamburger patty slathered in chili and topped with cheese and onions. I always get jalapenos on mine when I'm there.

Big cup of coffee and a huge water and you're good to go for the rest of the day! Well, after the giant bowel movement half an hour later.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OP do you have any thoughts on what's been shared so far or are you still stuck in traffic?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Solice Kirsk posted:

You parked in the road and commuters honked at you.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
I understand where you're coming from completely. My partner and I live in Toronto, and we're stuck in an apartment despite our high incomes because of how crazy house prices are. I lived in Minneapolis for 5 years, and if we could work find work there I'd move in a heartbeat. The food is great, there are tons of outdoor activities, and the winters aren't bad at all; I grew up in California and I came to love Minneapolis winters. If you have family there, it's a great option.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

pig slut lisa posted:

OP do you have any thoughts on what's been shared so far or are you still stuck in traffic?

Thanks for the reminder!

oRenj9 posted:

Yes, this comment got me thinking about I actually need to figure out exactly what kind of pay I can be expecting in the midwest. Obviously there will be some sort of cut, but the actually amount is far from known. I manage a team of software engineers so my skillset is both SWE and management which I am hoping can translate into keeping a higher paying job in the mid west.

mishaq posted:

how the gently caress can you not live comfortably in sf on 300k a year

post a breakdown of your monthly budget/expenditures, would be curious to see where the gently caress all your money is going

you don't need a 4 bedroom house for 5 people, you're just choosing to make this a requirement

there was a point in recent american history where larger families lived in even smaller spaces if you could imagine that!

I didn't say we're uncomfortable. I said we can't provide the life we want (e.g. good public schools, a yard that is over 100sqft, enough room in the house that we don't have my desk, the kids toys, and our living space all in the same room). Plus like any good BFC's we save a lot. For your information on a $280k gross:
Taxes: ~$80k
Housing: ~$50k (rent+util)
Food: ~$15k ($9k of that is grocery)
Kids: $10k (mostly preschool)
Shopping: $15k (everything, hard to break out but this includes essentials and all fun as well)
Travel: $7k (multiple trips back to see family)
Medical: $7k
Retirement Savings: $55k
Investment Savings: $40k

I know if we needed to belt tighten we could cut down on a lot of expenses.

AA is for Quitters posted:

And you can get a huge 5+ bedroom mcmansion for sub $1mil if that floats your boat, or just an average sized split level in the $200k range.

With regards to space, I don't think we qualify as wanting a McMansion. Just something with enough room for us to not be on top of each other (e.g. ~2k sqft).

As I think more about it, the main reason we'd move is for family. We would never consider moving if it wasn't closer to family. Better schools and lower housing costs are just additional nice to haves. Still not decided but I think we'll start poking around.

app fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 21, 2017

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You're already saving 95k a year. That's like 75% of your net pay in the Midwest assuming you can find a job making ~160k gross, which is probably optimistic.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
You can try the usual websites like Glassdoor, but you probably need to actually get a job offer to see what the salary's like. I'd plan on maybe a 35-50% paycut ($140k to $180k gross). I'm basing that off of what engineering managers make in a different discipline, but software won't be too far off.

Taxes will go down quite a bit - mainly because of the lower income, but your marginal rate might actually do down as well (depends on the state. Recruiters will try to make it sound like it's a given, but it's not). Housing will obviously be quite a bit less, as has been discussed. Food, kids, and medical probably won't be that different (maybe a touch less at restaurants and saving money on a public preschool). Shopping and travel are obviously personal discretion.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
The biggest open question you need to answer is about job prospects. Scout a recruiter in your field in a few towns you're looking for and pick their brain about job prospects and what you can expect to earn. (And when you mention management experience in Silicon Valley with no Midwest job contacts but looking to move to be closer to family, they will absolutely help you out.)

Your 'things to do' all involve the outdoors - there aren't many national parks around in the Midwest compared Utah and California, but there's plenty of state parks. Here's a map of Wisconsin's. Or, look into buying a lakehouse in da up nortd dere.

The weather... buy a snowblower before September if you have a big driveway. Get used to wearing a nice sweater and a heavy overcoat. In Madison, there's only a handful of days each year where the wind and temperature combine to impose misery. Twin Cities have a few more, but also feature a downtown built around skywalks to avoid being outside. It's the two weeks in summer where it's a muggy 90+ that are the worst.

Underrated aspect of the Midwest - since you're in the middle of the country, there's no really long flights in the continental US. Minneapolis and Milwaukee airports have good routes, and Chicago can get you to anywhere in the world. Madison, for a small-rear end market still has directs to about 15 cities. It's a great feeling to take a direct to the east coast immediately after work and still be up for a late dinner and drinks.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I have a specific company I think you should look into and if you want to PM me I'd be happy to point you to a recruiter I spoke with directly.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Inept posted:

You're already saving 95k a year. That's like 75% of your net pay in the Midwest assuming you can find a job making ~160k gross, which is probably optimistic.
That would be the very high end for a tech job in Chicago, which is likely the highest cost of living city in the midwest. In my town (250k metro), I am pretty sure 95% of tech jobs pay under $120k, but even $100k/year is going to get you a pretty nice lifestyle. You could easily support a family of 4 with one parent not working in a 3000 square foot house, with two car payments.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Go work for a utility in the midwest, assuming you're a senior level individual contributor.

That will be very good money.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All in, Metro Detroit is pretty great, lots of tech companies here too. Definitely has some downsides though

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

app posted:

Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, this comment got me thinking about I actually need to figure out exactly what kind of pay I can be expecting in the midwest. Obviously there will be some sort of cut, but the actually amount is far from known. I manage a team of software engineers so my skillset is both SWE and management which I am hoping can translate into keeping a higher paying job in the mid west.

I didn't say we're uncomfortable. I said we can't provide the life we want (e.g. good public schools, a yard that is over 100sqft, enough room in the house that we don't have my desk, the kids toys, and our living space all in the same room). Plus like any good BFC's we save a lot. For your information on a $280k gross:
Taxes: ~$80k
Housing: ~$50k (rent+util)
Food: ~$15k ($9k of that is grocery)
Kids: $10k (mostly preschool)
Shopping: $15k (everything, hard to break out but this includes essentials and all fun as well)
Travel: $7k (multiple trips back to see family)
Medical: $7k
Retirement Savings: $55k
Investment Savings: $40k

I know if we needed to belt tighten we could cut down on a lot of expenses.

With regards to space, I don't think we qualify as wanting a McMansion. Just something with enough room for us to not be on top of each other (e.g. ~2k sqft).

As I think more about it, the main reason we'd move is for family. We would never consider moving if it wasn't closer to family. Better schools and lower housing costs are just additional nice to haves. Still not decided but I think we'll start poking around.

How the hell do you pay so little in taxes? I paid $80k in combined state + local + federal taxes in NYC last year, on an income of $200k.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

oliveoil posted:

How the hell do you pay so little in taxes? I paid $80k in combined state + local + federal taxes in NYC last year, on an income of $200k.

You're probably filing single right? Estimate your tax burden with your income, but married with 2 kids, and maximizing all retirement accounts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Nail Rat posted:

To be fair if you stop in the middle of a busy sidewalk without checking to see if you have room to do so you are the rear end in a top hat, just like someone standing on the down escalator.
I'm pretty sure 90% of big city 'rudeness' is experienced by people who don't understand how things have to work in busy areas. Like this probably-a-tourist I saw once who stopped at the end of the escalator in a Metra station, oblivious to the hoardes of people about to trample him(and who probably thought everyone else was the rear end in a top hat for wanting him the gently caress out of the way).

Coco13 posted:

The weather... buy a snowblower before September if you have a big driveway. Get used to wearing a nice sweater and a heavy overcoat.
And a snow brush/ice scraper for your car(yes you will need a car, with the possible exception of living in Chicago proper and not the burbs). Keep a shovel & sand/salt/cat litter in the trunk just in case.

Also have your wife teach you to drive in snow and ice so you don't kill yourself. Your winter driving skills matter more than how beefy your car is. Lots of people get overconfident because they're in a big pickup or SUV & end up in the ditch in short order.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I've lived in Minnesota for most of my life and definitely feel like it's the best state. I've lived in a few other states and have done a lot of travel, but found myself back in Minnesota.

Minneapolis is cool, but St. Paul has a cooler vibe. Most of my time was spent in Minneapolis, but I moved way up north because I got tired of the Cities. Northern Minnesota is amazing, I love it here. Surrounded by Nature, low cost of living, unique and eccentric people, and a better pace of life compared to living in a big city. Definitely surrounded by white people all the time, but it's a pretty liberal place where people can be who they want to be. People complain about the weather but you get used to it. There's plenty to do in the winter. Just get a shovel, an ice scraper, and some Steger mukluks and you'll be fine.

Most decent houses up here go for 80k-150k, and you can get a really nice house on land for 200-300k. If you keep your eyes peeled and don't mind some fix-up work you can get a really good deal. We paid 48k for our 2,500 square foot 4-bedroom house that needed some updating. FWIW, I make about $75k a year and comfortably support my fiance who does seasonal work, a big old dog, a cat, and am still able to save half of each pay check. Obviously living in the Cities is more expensive, but you can still get a decent house for 200k. Have you looked on any real estate websites like Trulia or Zillow to get an idea of what's available?

If you do move to the Midwest, you will take a big pay cut, and the initial change to your pay check may feel shocking. However, lower cost of living really does make up for it. A 1.5 mil house here is an enormous mansion on lake-front property. Shorter commutes mean less money spent on gas and car repairs. Being close to MSP and in the middle of the country means cheap flights anywhere, like was already mentioned. Being close to family automatically saves you $7k a year.

There is skiing (although it's not exciting compared to actual mountains), there are thousands of beaches (if you don't mind lakes), and there are lots of national parks. Minnesota is a very progressive state compared to its neighbors. Minnesota nice is definitely a thing that exists. You should move here, you'll like it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

Also have your wife teach you to drive in snow and ice so you don't kill yourself. Your winter driving skills matter more than how beefy your car is. Lots of people get overconfident because they're in a big pickup or SUV & end up in the ditch in short order.
If moving to a place with Real Winter TM proper snow tires will make a great improvement to safety. That said, practice makes perfect.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
skiing in the midwest loving blows donkey dicks and it's one of the major hangups I have

it's not made better by a bunch of idiot midwesterners talking about how Well There's Boyne!!!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

skiing in the midwest loving blows donkey dicks and it's one of the major hangups I have

it's not made better by a bunch of idiot midwesterners talking about how Well There's Boyne!!!

The rise of discount airlines has helped. I've seen direct, round trip flights from Cincinnati or Indianapolis to Denver for $150 in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Cross country skiing is super fun and there are trails everywhere.

• Locked thread