Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Koivunen posted:

Cross country skiing is super fun and there are trails everywhere.

cross country skiing is definitely NOT fun, but on the bright side in the midwest there is a ton of wide open space and riding a snowmobile IS fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

skiing in the midwest loving blows donkey dicks and it's one of the major hangups I have

it's not made better by a bunch of idiot midwesterners talking about how Well There's Boyne!!!

Crystal Mountain or GTFO

Derek79
Dec 17, 2005

Koivunen posted:

I've lived in Minnesota for most of my life and definitely feel like it's the best state. I've lived in a few other states and have done a lot of travel, but found myself back in Minnesota.

Minneapolis is cool, but St. Paul has a cooler vibe. Most of my time was spent in Minneapolis, but I moved way up north because I got tired of the Cities. Northern Minnesota is amazing, I love it here. Surrounded by Nature, low cost of living, unique and eccentric people, and a better pace of life compared to living in a big city. Definitely surrounded by white people all the time, but it's a pretty liberal place where people can be who they want to be. People complain about the weather but you get used to it. There's plenty to do in the winter. Just get a shovel, an ice scraper, and some Steger mukluks and you'll be fine.

Most decent houses up here go for 80k-150k, and you can get a really nice house on land for 200-300k. If you keep your eyes peeled and don't mind some fix-up work you can get a really good deal. We paid 48k for our 2,500 square foot 4-bedroom house that needed some updating. FWIW, I make about $75k a year and comfortably support my fiance who does seasonal work, a big old dog, a cat, and am still able to save half of each pay check. Obviously living in the Cities is more expensive, but you can still get a decent house for 200k. Have you looked on any real estate websites like Trulia or Zillow to get an idea of what's available?

If you do move to the Midwest, you will take a big pay cut, and the initial change to your pay check may feel shocking. However, lower cost of living really does make up for it. A 1.5 mil house here is an enormous mansion on lake-front property. Shorter commutes mean less money spent on gas and car repairs. Being close to MSP and in the middle of the country means cheap flights anywhere, like was already mentioned. Being close to family automatically saves you $7k a year.

There is skiing (although it's not exciting compared to actual mountains), there are thousands of beaches (if you don't mind lakes), and there are lots of national parks. Minnesota is a very progressive state compared to its neighbors. Minnesota nice is definitely a thing that exists. You should move here, you'll like it.

Any of those houses have any land? Any recommended cities up north that are good for a family?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Koivunen posted:

Cross country skiing is super fun and there are trails everywhere.

cross country skiing is super fun but downhill it ain't

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique

Derek79 posted:

Any of those houses have any land? Any recommended cities up north that are good for a family?

Yes, most every house in northern MN/Minneapolis has plenty of land to go with it. (You can get an excellent cabin with quite a bit of land for 200K if that's more your style.) Duluth is an excellent place to start a family; IMO it's one of America's lesser-known hidden gems.

To contribute to this thread:

* I agree with everything Koivunen has posted
* OP if you're interested in working in Minneapolis in tech (software engineering/management) I know of job openings at a high-profile tech company here in MSP and can help get you in the door. PM me for more info.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So what are the numbers where it makes sense to move to the Midwest vs stay in some expensive city? If you're getting paid this much in a city, then you'd need to make this other amount in, say, Minneapolis to justify moving?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

unsanitary posted:

Duluth is an excellent place to start a family; IMO it's one of America's lesser-known hidden gems.

Mid-sized cities are broadly under-rated.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

No Butt Stuff posted:

Go work for a utility in the midwest, assuming you're a senior level individual contributor.

That will be very good money.

Can vouch for this. Can make A VERY good living working for a utility of you're mildly competent. Once you hit leadership levels they just put random bags of money on your desk. You'd think since you have relative stability compared to "market driven" businesses you'd get a haircut on the pay but it's not the case.

The bar is set much lower. Downside is if you are driven you'll end up having to pull more weight than your peers but at least you'll be very well compensated.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

TraderStav posted:

Can vouch for this. Can make A VERY good living working for a utility of you're mildly competent. Once you hit leadership levels they just put random bags of money on your desk

How much do they pay? Senior engineers at Facebook etc. can make $300k/yr in major cities. Does it come out similarly after taxes and rent?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thought about this thread this weekend while visiting the in-laws in the NYC metro area. Thought about it while I visited a couple houses that cost 2x-3x mine and are worse despite being roughly the same age. Thought about it when stuck in traffic on the expressways and the parkways. Thought about it when my brother-in-law mentioned the dogwalking service they hire since they work >1 hour away from home, while I get to bike home at lunch every day to walk my dog myself. Thought about it a lot every time I passed through a little downtown on Long Island or Westchester and saw how sad and unwalkable and gutted by cars they all were.

Flew back to my midwest college town, walked the dog, and biked 8 minutes to my favorite bar downtown :)

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

skiing in the midwest loving blows donkey dicks and it's one of the major hangups I have

it's not made better by a bunch of idiot midwesterners talking about how Well There's Boyne!!!

That's why you put in the extra 6 hours for Mt. Bohemia.

Does Kalamazoo still have the thing where you kid gets a full-ride scholarship if they spend ten years then graduate from there?

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 5, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

Thought about this thread this weekend while visiting the in-laws in the NYC metro area. Thought about it while I visited a couple houses that cost 2x-3x mine and are worse despite being roughly the same age. Thought about it when stuck in traffic on the expressways and the parkways. Thought about it when my brother-in-law mentioned the dogwalking service they hire since they work >1 hour away from home, while I get to bike home at lunch every day to walk my dog myself. Thought about it a lot every time I passed through a little downtown on Long Island or Westchester and saw how sad and unwalkable and gutted by cars they all were.

Flew back to my midwest college town, walked the dog, and biked 8 minutes to my favorite bar downtown :)

the midwest is like King poo poo of car-destroyed downtowns though

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Eh, I dunno. I've experienced enough places in both the Midwest and the NYC area that I feel like I have a decent data set, and at least I've been to some places in the middle of the country that are decently pleasant and walkable. Long Island is a wasteland. I just visited Rockville Centre for the first time. Having passed through on the LIRR several times before and observed that it appears a little more "substantial" than some of the other towns, I had high hopes that the built environment would actually be better on the ground. Nope. Still terrible. Still totally disrespectful of anyone not in a car. Maybe there are some better spots out in Suffolk where even more people are priced out.

Of course this is all just degrees of the same terrible phenomenon. It's mindboggling that the people who built this country made the roads wide enough for multiple lanes of car traffic literally decades before the car was even invented.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Long Island is bad but you can't really compare a phallus full of idiots to an entire region of the country.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Long Island is bad but you can't really compare a phallus full of idiots to an entire region of the country.

Sure I can. No different than the OP of this thread inviting a comparison between a different metro area and the same entire region of the country. In fact, it's a comparison my wife and I made when we were seeking full time employment, as my family is in a Midwest state and hers is on Long Island. Of course there's great variation both within and across regions, but when the things we cared about were:
  • Within a ~5 hour drive of family
  • Walkable/bikeable/enjoyable built environment
  • COL that allows us to save aggressively
  • Ability to have a short/easy commute
  • Decent (or better) dining, beer, and music scene

we came up with a bunch of options in the Midwest and found nothing in the NYC area that stacked up. YMMV based on your own priorities and weighting, of course.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

oliveoil posted:

How much do they pay? Senior engineers at Facebook etc. can make $300k/yr in major cities. Does it come out similarly after taxes and rent?

Individual contributors do not make that level, no. But as everyone else said, $150K/yr in the Midwest may as well be like $300K/yr in major cities.

Mid-level managers in Utilities can expect to make about $110-140K/year, with 12-17% bonus, 10-20% shares, 10-12% retirement benefits (401k / cash balance pensions). Then it goes up from there as you hit higher levels of leadership.

OP will want to lean HEAVILY on his management of other people though, as I think individual contributors will not see those levels or comp packages.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

oliveoil posted:

I'm going to say there are only a handful of people making 300k/year at Facebook.

Whereas there are a million dumbshits making $120k + at utilities

My ex and her brother both work at the local power company and clear 80k-100k. A friend of ours is a meter reader project manager and he makes 130k. They work quite a bit of overtime. If there's a storm + power outage they can make a bunch of money between call out bonuses, meal per diem, mileage, overtime pay...

Then you have the guys that actually do the work (are out in the field repairing lines and poles). They are union and make $25-$35/hr in the first place and of course they can get tons of OT.

Great benefits package, they were doing pensions up until a few years ago...

In general the people that work there work a lot but they make a very comfortable living, especially in a place where you can get a really nice house for $250,000.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

More like the west/mountain west down to Texas.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I'm going to say there are only a handful of people making 300k/year at Facebook.

Whereas there are a million dumbshits making $120k + at utilities

My ex and her brother both work at the local power company and clear 80k-100k. A friend of ours is a meter reader project manager and he makes 130k. They work quite a bit of overtime. If there's a storm + power outage they can make a bunch of money between call out bonuses, meal per diem, mileage, overtime pay...

Then you have the guys that actually do the work (are out in the field repairing lines and poles). They are union and make $25-$35/hr in the first place and of course they can get tons of OT.

Great benefits package, they were doing pensions up until a few years ago...

In general the people that work there work a lot but they make a very comfortable living, especially in a place where you can get a really nice house for $250,000.

Is this a Michigan utility? You're spot on for the storm duty. Once upon a time I got ridiculous OT as a salaried exempt worker doing big storms. They've curbed that a bit as of late though.

The actual field guys make a killing, but they pay for it. They work their asses off and for probably double the hours an office worker does. They can make over $200k if they structure their OT right.

PM which utility if you don't mind, I'm curious if it's mine. Which there's a 50% chance there is thanks to the monopoly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TraderStav posted:

Is this a Michigan utility? You're spot on for the storm duty. Once upon a time I got ridiculous OT as a salaried exempt worker doing big storms. They've curbed that a bit as of late though.

The actual field guys make a killing, but they pay for it. They work their asses off and for probably double the hours an office worker does. They can make over $200k if they structure their OT right.

Yea, Consumer's.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

unsanitary posted:

Duluth is an excellent place to start a family; IMO it's one of America's lesser-known hidden gems.

It's a neat city, but I visited in January and it was -17 outside. It was so cold our power steering was frozen in our rental car.

gently caress that kind of cold. I can't imagine dealing with it for months on end.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If you're a senior level individual contributor at my company you can expect to clear 6 figures after your bonus. If you're in IT, you'll easily clear it before.

You can also commute into the city in about 30 minutes, even with construction, and live in a 250k house that's 2800 sq feet.

It is not a bad life, although you are surrounded by rednecks who unironically use the word "libtard."

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I moved to Raleigh, NC (which is really the south, not the midwest, but anyway) from Vancouver, BC for work and to escape the housing prices, and it was great. They pay was spectacular and the houses were way more reasonable than on the west coast. I had to move back to Canada for unrelated immigration reasons, but I really really liked that area and there are so many tech jobs that easily pay between 100-200k depending on what you do. They also appear to have a talent shortage there because recruiters never stopped contacting me (they still haven't)

I grew up in St. Louis though and I will never, ever go back. They pay isn't great, the weather isn't great, and the culture isn't great. Being in North Carolina was sort of weird, but the Research Triangle rocks, has decent culture, there are mountains and beach nearby, and the weather is great (kinda hot in the summer, but still great).

Shayl fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 10, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do never move to Charlotte

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no definitley not charlotte. Banks, banks everywhere.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I love my city <3

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

midwest update #1: its rainy

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shayl posted:

I grew up in St. Louis though and I will never, ever go back. They pay isn't great, the weather isn't great, and the culture isn't great. Being in North Carolina was sort of weird, but the Research Triangle rocks, has decent culture, there are mountains and beach nearby, and the weather is great (kinda hot in the summer, but still great).

I just moved to St Louis, and while I’m finding it fine, I definitely get what you mean on the culture. From the previous mentions on trump country and racism, my experience so far is you can pretty much avoid it if you live in a city, but holy hell would I never live outside a city in the Midwest. And St. Louis specifically still has big race issues.

Yeah bet being said, OP is talking about moving to upper Midwest. I don’t have much input on that area, but I will say in general on moving east coast to mid west:

-cost of living is definitely noticeably better. For me it was a pay raise, but I’m coming from a different income level. I got lucky, my company kept my Philly pay for St. Louis (you start at a higher hourly in philly)
-traffic is just amazing. I’m almost never sitting in traffic. And plenty of parking. Mind blowing.
-personally, I think there is enough to do, and enough places nearby to drive to. There is a part of us that does miss being able to say, drive up to NYC for a weekend for a show, but given how little we did that , there’s still shows and plenty of poo poo to do.
-with any move, it depends on who you know in cities. My wife has a few high school friends here, but otherwise it’s starting from scratch on knowing people around town. We’re starting to get out again, but it takes a little getting used to.
-no kids, so can’t comment on that.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I live in NYC (born and raised), make six figures, and still can't ever imagine owning property here. I do work in an industry that is very Midwest friendly, and you bet I'd move in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity. I'm also young(ish) and unmarried, which helps with the decision as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fhqwhgads posted:

I live in NYC (born and raised), make six figures, and still can't ever imagine owning property here. I do work in an industry that is very Midwest friendly, and you bet I'd move in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity. I'm also young(ish) and unmarried, which helps with the decision as well.

We had a staff member from NYC, he said the midwest is like playing a game on easy mode with unlimited lives. (True) Also the midwest is on average 1000 feet higher above sea level then the East Coast.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Elephanthead posted:

We had a staff member from NYC, he said the midwest is like playing a game on easy mode with unlimited lives. (True) Also the midwest is on average 1000 feet higher above sea level then the East Coast.

Can confirm. Especially if you're a DINK.

You do miss out on some bands though, if that's your thing. Also the winter loving blows. There is nothing enjoyable about -15 degree weather with 20 mph winds.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Well I figured I finally remembered this thread and figured I owned an update!

tl;dr - we moved in November!

I ended up taking a promotion which comes with greater responsibility and also the ability to do more in the future. It should have come with a ~10-15% bump and ended up only getting a 3% raise in the move due to lower cost of living so it was a net 'loss' of 7-12%. It has been great to be around family and spend the Christmas holidays with family. I'm glad to no longer be wasting time on 101 or dealing with the complete loving arrogance of the Bay Area. I can now confirm that I have had **multiple** conversations where we didn't discuss where someone worked.

Thanks BFC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Where'd you end up moving to?

• Locked thread