Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

oliveoil posted:

How much do they pay? Senior engineers at Facebook etc. can make $300k/yr in major cities. Does it come out similarly after taxes and rent?

I'm going to say there are only a handful of people making 300k/year at Facebook.

Whereas there are a million dumbshits making $120k + at utilities

My ex and her brother both work at the local power company and clear 80k-100k. A friend of ours is a meter reader project manager and he makes 130k. They work quite a bit of overtime. If there's a storm + power outage they can make a bunch of money between call out bonuses, meal per diem, mileage, overtime pay...

Then you have the guys that actually do the work (are out in the field repairing lines and poles). They are union and make $25-$35/hr in the first place and of course they can get tons of OT.

Great benefits package, they were doing pensions up until a few years ago...

In general the people that work there work a lot but they make a very comfortable living, especially in a place where you can get a really nice house for $250,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TraderStav posted:

Is this a Michigan utility? You're spot on for the storm duty. Once upon a time I got ridiculous OT as a salaried exempt worker doing big storms. They've curbed that a bit as of late though.

The actual field guys make a killing, but they pay for it. They work their asses off and for probably double the hours an office worker does. They can make over $200k if they structure their OT right.

Yea, Consumer's.

• Locked thread