Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

potatoducks posted:

It is cold as hell in the Midwest OP. Seriously. It snows all the drat time and builds up on the ground. Even if you pay someone to shovel which you absolutely should, you're still gonna have to deal with it. Also, sometimes it hurts to breathe. Why would you live in a place where it hurts to breathe? Oh great so you can ski all the time right? Nope. No mountains anywhere.

This is absolutely true. I lived in Nebraska for a few years and until then I didn't realize it was possible for it to be painful just to exist outside. There were a few times I parked my car at work and saw that the outside temp was -10 or below with even colder windchills and legitimately considered calling out and going home back to my warm bed instead of having to walk across the parking lot. You do get used to it but the first winter is horrible.

potatoducks posted:

Lived in the midwest (Ann Arbor) for a while. Lived in the bay area for a while. So many more things to do. So many more things to eat. Other than Chicago, there aren't really any good restaurants and even Chicago is nothing compared to SF/Yountville/etc. The variety of ethnic food is also much worse. Want pho? Okay sure. You have like 2 choices in your neighborhood instead of 20. Housing is much cheaper than in the bay for sure. So are utilities and gas. But I didn't notice much of a difference in groceries or anything else. Everything costs the same amount of money on Amazon.

Any "ethnic food" in the midwest is going to be white people's approximations of what that culture's food is, or modified to suit the midwestern white people palate. You will not find any spicy food (pepperoni is considered "spicy" by some folks out that way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread