Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
In b4 Jastiger recommends Des Moines.

But seriously, Sioux Falls has a lot of tech companies moving in, and outside of the assfuck cold winters, is a great place to live with three great school districts (sioux falls proper, harrisburg, and brandon valley) and three "good, but not amazing" school districts nearby (Tea, Tri-Valley, and Lennox). So even if you don't want to live in Sioux Falls proper, you can still live in the outlying areas and make a bunch of money and having a nicer work-life balance than i'm sure you have.

Downsides are assfuck cold, not nearly as much in terms of "culture" (no, tater tot hotdish is not an "ethnic" food...the only real ethnic food out here is ethiopian, one mediocre indian place, a pretty decent thai place, one good chineese place, and a lot of americanized "ethnic" food.), we're starting to get some more big ticket stuff, but it's not like it's the bay area. But, positive - jobs. And you can get a huge 5+ bedroom mcmansion for sub $1mil if that floats your boat, or just an average sized split level in the $200k range.

The only reason we're moving out of state is because the cold is loving with my husband's back. And it gets COLD. Like <-10 for days at a time, and it's WINDY. There is no amount of layers that can stop a 40mph wind in the middle of winter. They can help, but it's still bitterly cold.

And there is a lot of upward mobility, especially if you attach yourself to either of the major hospital systems out here, or one of the banks. Pretty much Citi, Wells Fargo, and Capitol One all have their major call centers out here for US based customer support, so you can get a great gig as a DBA or IT, or WebDev or whatever your speciality is with room to move up with the banks or the hopsital system and have lots of room to grow.

I've heard Minneapolis is really nice - and has a lot of jobs, and a lot more culture. I don't know how close you want to be to her family, but the cities actually has a *lot* going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread