Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shayl posted:

I grew up in St. Louis though and I will never, ever go back. They pay isn't great, the weather isn't great, and the culture isn't great. Being in North Carolina was sort of weird, but the Research Triangle rocks, has decent culture, there are mountains and beach nearby, and the weather is great (kinda hot in the summer, but still great).

I just moved to St Louis, and while I’m finding it fine, I definitely get what you mean on the culture. From the previous mentions on trump country and racism, my experience so far is you can pretty much avoid it if you live in a city, but holy hell would I never live outside a city in the Midwest. And St. Louis specifically still has big race issues.

Yeah bet being said, OP is talking about moving to upper Midwest. I don’t have much input on that area, but I will say in general on moving east coast to mid west:

-cost of living is definitely noticeably better. For me it was a pay raise, but I’m coming from a different income level. I got lucky, my company kept my Philly pay for St. Louis (you start at a higher hourly in philly)
-traffic is just amazing. I’m almost never sitting in traffic. And plenty of parking. Mind blowing.
-personally, I think there is enough to do, and enough places nearby to drive to. There is a part of us that does miss being able to say, drive up to NYC for a weekend for a show, but given how little we did that , there’s still shows and plenty of poo poo to do.
-with any move, it depends on who you know in cities. My wife has a few high school friends here, but otherwise it’s starting from scratch on knowing people around town. We’re starting to get out again, but it takes a little getting used to.
-no kids, so can’t comment on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread