Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't speak to job opportunities but if you think you're gonna miss that sweet sweet Cali life then pick a city with a Big Ten school and move there. Having lived in two (Ann Arbor, Bloomington) and spent a summer in a third (Evanston), they're cool and I think one would be less of a step down from Bay Area life than you're expecting. If you want a tech job in the Midwest they're probably as good of places as any to start looking, and they generally have good-to-great school districts too.

If you want to stay near a big city then obviously Chicago is right there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

spwrozek posted:

Michigan is wonderful and not rear end cold since the lake protects you from the really cold temps (unless it freezes). Ann Arbor is cool and I bet you could do alright there. Minnesota and Wisconsin are cool but kinda of meh most of the year.

Yeah full disclosure I grew up in Ann Arbor, and while I'm glad I left after HS to see more of the country I would loving love an excuse to move back there or to that area. The job opportunities aren't there for my wife and me (yet). If your family is in WI and MN though, MI might be a little too far from them.

Telecommuting is also a good thing to consider. Another couple that we know here is moving to another state and both of them are starting jobs with a high amount of work-from-home time included. My wife's about to start a new job where some working from home is possible too. Hell, I have a side job doing editorial work for a company is loving India of all places despite living in the eastern US. The tech is already there for a lot of industries and is getting there for others, if your move is motivated by family and not dissatisfaction with your job definitely tell your employer that you're thinking about moving and see if you can work something out to stay on with them remotely.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 25, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

you'll be surrounded by people who think ketchup is "spicy"

Oh my God I thought I was the only person who experienced this. When I lived outside of Chicago I had a co-worker who was from Iowa who thought ketchup was spicy, which was a completely insane concept to me considering I had been seeing a woman from Thailand for six or seven years at that point :psyduck:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DTaeKim posted:

As a former Illinois resident who moved to Indiana for a job, don't go to Indiana. It's a race to the bottom.

Counterpoint: I lived in Bloomington IN for a few years I grad school and I miss it terribly, but I wasn't married with a family so I'm sure it would be a different experience for you. I'll admit it's in the middle of nowhere though, but a very pretty middle of nowhere.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

skiing in the midwest loving blows donkey dicks and it's one of the major hangups I have

it's not made better by a bunch of idiot midwesterners talking about how Well There's Boyne!!!

Crystal Mountain or GTFO

• Locked thread