Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

C-Euro posted:

I can't speak to job opportunities but if you think you're gonna miss that sweet sweet Cali life then pick a city with a Big Ten school and move there. Having lived in two (Ann Arbor, Bloomington) and spent a summer in a third (Evanston), they're cool and I think one would be less of a step down from Bay Area life than you're expecting. If you want a tech job in the Midwest they're probably as good of places as any to start looking, and they generally have good-to-great school districts too.

If you want to stay near a big city then obviously Chicago is right there too.

Seconding the Big Ten college town recommendation. I haven't been to all of them (and I'm not counting Rutgers and Maryland :argh:) but I've loved living in a couple of them. I just moved to an amazing 1930s house (paid <$240,000, would cost over a million in Berkeley) and have a <10 minute bike ride to work in a cool downtown. You couldn't pay me enough to live in a high cost of living area, especially if I had to take on a car commute. In a Midwest college town you can save an absurd amount of your income and still enjoy a fun downtown, good housing, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The best beer states are in the middle of the country :henget:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

DTaeKim posted:

As a former Illinois resident who moved to Indiana for a job, don't go to Indiana. It's a race to the bottom.

But they tell me it's a State That WorksTM

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

OP do you have any thoughts on what's been shared so far or are you still stuck in traffic?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thought about this thread this weekend while visiting the in-laws in the NYC metro area. Thought about it while I visited a couple houses that cost 2x-3x mine and are worse despite being roughly the same age. Thought about it when stuck in traffic on the expressways and the parkways. Thought about it when my brother-in-law mentioned the dogwalking service they hire since they work >1 hour away from home, while I get to bike home at lunch every day to walk my dog myself. Thought about it a lot every time I passed through a little downtown on Long Island or Westchester and saw how sad and unwalkable and gutted by cars they all were.

Flew back to my midwest college town, walked the dog, and biked 8 minutes to my favorite bar downtown :)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the midwest is like King poo poo of car-destroyed downtowns though

Eh, I dunno. I've experienced enough places in both the Midwest and the NYC area that I feel like I have a decent data set, and at least I've been to some places in the middle of the country that are decently pleasant and walkable. Long Island is a wasteland. I just visited Rockville Centre for the first time. Having passed through on the LIRR several times before and observed that it appears a little more "substantial" than some of the other towns, I had high hopes that the built environment would actually be better on the ground. Nope. Still terrible. Still totally disrespectful of anyone not in a car. Maybe there are some better spots out in Suffolk where even more people are priced out.

Of course this is all just degrees of the same terrible phenomenon. It's mindboggling that the people who built this country made the roads wide enough for multiple lanes of car traffic literally decades before the car was even invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Long Island is bad but you can't really compare a phallus full of idiots to an entire region of the country.

Sure I can. No different than the OP of this thread inviting a comparison between a different metro area and the same entire region of the country. In fact, it's a comparison my wife and I made when we were seeking full time employment, as my family is in a Midwest state and hers is on Long Island. Of course there's great variation both within and across regions, but when the things we cared about were:
  • Within a ~5 hour drive of family
  • Walkable/bikeable/enjoyable built environment
  • COL that allows us to save aggressively
  • Ability to have a short/easy commute
  • Decent (or better) dining, beer, and music scene

we came up with a bunch of options in the Midwest and found nothing in the NYC area that stacked up. YMMV based on your own priorities and weighting, of course.

• Locked thread