Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I would also agitate for Big 10 College towns, as I think they are some of the greatest places on Earth (especially AA, Madison, IC and U/C, less so Chicago and Minny but those cities are fun for other reasons, gently caress Nebraska).

Everyone seems excited about Big Ten college towns. Which are those? Is this a reliable list? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Universities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

app posted:

Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, this comment got me thinking about I actually need to figure out exactly what kind of pay I can be expecting in the midwest. Obviously there will be some sort of cut, but the actually amount is far from known. I manage a team of software engineers so my skillset is both SWE and management which I am hoping can translate into keeping a higher paying job in the mid west.

I didn't say we're uncomfortable. I said we can't provide the life we want (e.g. good public schools, a yard that is over 100sqft, enough room in the house that we don't have my desk, the kids toys, and our living space all in the same room). Plus like any good BFC's we save a lot. For your information on a $280k gross:
Taxes: ~$80k
Housing: ~$50k (rent+util)
Food: ~$15k ($9k of that is grocery)
Kids: $10k (mostly preschool)
Shopping: $15k (everything, hard to break out but this includes essentials and all fun as well)
Travel: $7k (multiple trips back to see family)
Medical: $7k
Retirement Savings: $55k
Investment Savings: $40k

I know if we needed to belt tighten we could cut down on a lot of expenses.

With regards to space, I don't think we qualify as wanting a McMansion. Just something with enough room for us to not be on top of each other (e.g. ~2k sqft).

As I think more about it, the main reason we'd move is for family. We would never consider moving if it wasn't closer to family. Better schools and lower housing costs are just additional nice to haves. Still not decided but I think we'll start poking around.

How the hell do you pay so little in taxes? I paid $80k in combined state + local + federal taxes in NYC last year, on an income of $200k.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
So what are the numbers where it makes sense to move to the Midwest vs stay in some expensive city? If you're getting paid this much in a city, then you'd need to make this other amount in, say, Minneapolis to justify moving?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

TraderStav posted:

Can vouch for this. Can make A VERY good living working for a utility of you're mildly competent. Once you hit leadership levels they just put random bags of money on your desk

How much do they pay? Senior engineers at Facebook etc. can make $300k/yr in major cities. Does it come out similarly after taxes and rent?

• Locked thread