Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've never lived in the Bay Area, but the company I work for was HQ'd out of there for a while so many of my coworkers are in a similar boat.

My thoughts:

Job opportunities: If you're making that kind of coin, you're obviously pretty good at what you do. Employers seem very open to telecommuting these days. We just had a high level IT person move somewhere there's no company office so he could be close to family. He was going to resign but management wanted to keep him on staff so he works from home and visits HQ a couple times a year for a week or so. I don't know what kind of role you have, but with the global workforce, video conferencing, instant messaging and even travel many positions don't need to be in the office anymore. We actually try to hire outside of our expensive COL areas for many positions. Sometimes it's hard to do, but it can be a win/win for the company and the employee. For example we have an office in Lawrence, Kansas, not exactly a tech hub, but the software engineers there get great paying jobs that allow them to live where they want to, and in return we get employees that tend to stick around for a really long time.

Just because you live somewhere, doesn't mean you job has to be there, just something to think about. (On a side note I see this with a lot of tech companies. Silicon Valley started expanding into Austin, because it was less expensive to hire folks there, and the candidates they were looking for wanted to live in Austin. Now you're seeing it with Denver as well. Tech is expanding to a lot of places. SV will still be the hot cutting edge area for the foreseeable future, but tech opportunities are all over now. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta all great places for tech.)

Things to do: There are cool things to do everywhere. Maybe you become snowboard bums instead of beach bums, but I've lived a lot of places and if you're bored it's probably your own fault. Except Topeka, gently caress Topeka.

Weather: gently caress the cold, I can't deal with it. If you can, good for you. I stick to the southern states when it comes to climate. Kansas is as far North as I've ever been and I'd like to keep it that way. I've lived a lot of places, and I like the Gulf Coast states the best.

Any area you're probably considering is probably somewhat progressive on a local level, I wouldn't worry about politics too much. It can be frustrating though.

Family: This one is huge. We don't live close to family and it sucks when it comes to raising kids. We have ZERO support system. I get pretty jealous of other family members that live close to each other, and when their kid gets sick Granny comes over to watch the kid so they can go to work, or my wife's cousins who just took a 7 day cruise and Gran and Pop Pop came and stayed at the house for the week with the kids. It's all us 24/7/365 and has been for the last 7 years since my oldest was born. If my wife and I could make anywhere close to the money we make now we would move and be closer to them. I don't know how old your kids are, but I have a 7 and 5 year old and I would kill for just a weekend away with my wife, just the 2 of us. I love my kids more than anything, but sometimes you need a little break. It's good for the adult, and the kids.

Housing, schools, community, not much to say about these you don't already know. Finances will probably be a lot more advantageous as well. Think of how much you could save for the kid's college, or the family vacations you can take, or whatever else a larger amount of disposable income will give you? My wife and I live in San Antonio and gross like half what you do and the cost of living here lets us live very comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

oliveoil posted:

How the hell do you pay so little in taxes? I paid $80k in combined state + local + federal taxes in NYC last year, on an income of $200k.

You're probably filing single right? Estimate your tax burden with your income, but married with 2 kids, and maximizing all retirement accounts.

• Locked thread