Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
if there are 10 people in a queue and all of them have collectively banned every map do you just not play? Sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Gonna point this out because almost no one seems to know about it.

Doing the Battlegrounds tutorial grants you a "starter" loot chest.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If this conversation proves anything it's that a map hard veto system would severely impact the length of matchmaking as everyone would hard veto every map in the game and then complain about why it's taking so long to match.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
What if between all 10 players every map is vetoed? Do you then play on a map that got vetoed but not as much? That's not a hard veto system that's a soft one. Or are you suggesting the captain pick a map to ban and everyone else can shove it. Either way you're still going to be "forced" to play on a map you don't like.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Also unless you've made a matchmaker that supports hundreds of thousands of players you have no business telling people what's "not hard" about matchmaking.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Olaf The Stout posted:

Gears of war had a system where they present two map, and each player gets one vote. If tie it's a coin flip. Simple.

What's your definition of simple? That would take a new UI system, testing with 10 players, support for disabling in custom games, how are the two maps picked? etc etc

If your opinion on a fix ends with simple or easy you're not thinking about it hard enough.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The only other game with a veto system to my knowledge is SC2 which is primarily a 1v1 game with 3 votes and a pool of 8 maps meaning that worst case there is always two maps the players will play on so it has no impact on matchmaking.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 13, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Hello, my name is Belzac and I'm an aggressive pinger.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Sometimes you just have to draw an arrow of pings towards the objective so the solo laneing Artanis knows where the objective is spawning. It's hard to know when you're playing with a locked camera.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
On the positive side his suffering only lasted 13 minutes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It also enforces a meta, showed you on the map the lane you were expected to play, and is all around bad time for anyone looking to have fun.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMcd8QEPzUY

Time to speedo.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

BrianBoitano posted:

IIRC the official memo from Blizz back when 2.0 was announced was that it would be slightly weighted towards new poo poo for you. You're right that reddit probably has a spreadsheet confirming this and potentially quantifying the effect, but :effort:

Seeing as I've gotten 3 Genjis from Loot Chests (after I bought him) I'm gonna call that BS.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah nothing in the Blizz post said anything about the magnitude of the weighting effect, so they very well might tip the RNG in your favor to some degree but poo poo will still happen, especially if you own a good deal of the hero pool anyhow, but even if you don't.

Or it could be just a mis-characterization of the fact that when 2.0 launched most people didn't own most products so most of the time you'd be getting new things.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

beejay posted:

Countdown to people complaining about getting stuck with a twin blades Varian vs a Johanna or something.

This is my new daily struggle.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Can twin blades Varian kill Johanna

Twin Blades Varian can't kill anything and spends 80% of a team fight walking around getting poked while hoping the other tanks that doesn't exist can land a good engage.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

2 SPOOKY posted:

I've seen Twin blades do very respectable work, particularly when paired with a CC-heavy tank

This is why it's bad. In QM this doesn't exist so you just throw away your tank for a lovely Illidan.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Disargeria posted:

So... no actual new skins, just some recolors?

The Xul skin is new.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The thing I don't like other people also don't like so that means I'm right.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Do you think programmers have anything to do with minion damage?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

beejay posted:

No I imagine that everything that happens in the game is the work of tiny magic dinosaurs. No one knows how they got there or why they do what they do.

SInce HotS is just an SC2 mod most things like this are created by data engineers who just work with the galaxy editor to make stuff like most SC2 custom map makers would. If you want to consider that job a "programmer" I suppose you're free to but I doubt Blizzard does. They probably call them designers.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I think all the maps are pretty cool. They all have things I don't like about them but because no map is imbalanced for one side I know my opponents are suffering as much as me.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Varian throws himself into the enemy team.

Garrosh throws the enemy team into the trash.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Just about every hero in the game comes from a point in the lore that is somewhere in the middle of their story. Jaina and Kael'thas aren't stupid, Zul'jin has two arms, etc.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Sgt Hammer already has an iron star friends.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59jgXbrI6bs

Time to see everyone use the crotch man portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

W.T. Fits posted:

Where the gently caress are my Greyfin, Sharkhaka and Swabius skins, Blizzard? :argh:

They reside deep in your heart.